General buying a croma?

Currently reading:
General buying a croma?

markandmu

Hi guyz next year i'm looking to buy a 1.9 jtd auto croma, any comments on this? should i get one or not?

At the momoent i'm a IDEA owner the 1.3 multijet 16v common rail diesel with the duel logic gearbox and i love it :D had a few problems but nothing to bad. Springs,shockers,fornt disks and pads,airbag issue but thats it.

Thank you chaps :) Mark

Out of something like (guessing) 1200 Cromas left, not many are auto. You would want the 150 JTD, with the Aisin 6 speed true auto. You should go for the better spec if possible, and if you see one in trade hands offer less than you think possible.

Out of something like (guessing) 1200 Cromas left, not many are auto. You would want the 150 JTD, with the Aisin 6 speed true auto. You should go for the better spec if possible, and if you see one in trade hands offer less than you think possible.

Weren't there only 1200 to start with? Surely some must have fallen by the wayside by now.

Mine is an auto and the box is great, pure delight. Also on a run I can set the cruise control to just under 85 and still return over 40 to the gallon (or 14.5 pence per mile in Yorkshire terms).

If you read this forum you will know all the problems that can occur, although if you buy a car over 4 years old with around 50k on the clock most of what can go wrong probably has.

My greatest frustration is sourcing parts. FIAT dealers never have anything in stock (well in the NE anyway), which means that if something does happen the car is off the road for a min of two days whilst we wait for some widget to come from Stockport. Mine was once laid up in Cornwall for 48 hrs for the want of brake pads. This frustration has made me vow many times to get rid, but every time I pick the car up and apply some right welly as I hit the A19 all is instantly forgiven.

However, quite a bit of the Croma is from a Vectra C, so many GM parts do fit. You also need to be a bit ingenious. Mine needs a new front down pipe - dealer part only in the UK; but not in Germany it isn't - and only £12 postage too.

I have found this forum and the guys on it a great help in sourcing alternative parts and keeping the pennies in the bank where they belong.

Why's everyone buying Cromas all of a sudden? Has the world suddenly woken up to them?

Oy - we were here first!

I don't mind if they suddenly start actually increasing in price due to a second-hand boom (yeah right).

Overall, I'm happy with mine, but it isn't a hassle-free car. Mine's a 150BHP manual. I get about 42mpg day-to-day, 46mpg on a motorway run and the all-time record was 52mpg. I don't know how I did that though.

The manual's a decent 6-speed box. The shift is a bit stiff, but you get used to it.

I've never trusted them new-fangled automatics.

Why's everyone buying Cromas all of a sudden? Has the world suddenly woken up to them?

Oy - we were here first!

Ha, blame the credit crunch. I need a new motor but pay cuts/freezes mean I need a serious bargain. 2 weeks ago I hadn't even heard of the mid 00's Croma. Doing a bit of research brought me here :eek: Not sure if I should run for the hills and get an older higher mileage alternative, or throw caution to the wind. I think I'm pretty brave as the last car we bought was a Renault Scenic II, which if you read the owners' forum you wouldn't touch with a barge pole. So maybe. Or maybe I'll chicken out and pick a Passat up at auction .... :confused:

To be honest I cant decide between a hatch or something bigger....

I think I'm pretty brave as the last car we bought was a Renault Scenic II, which if you read the owners' forum you wouldn't touch with a barge pole. So maybe. Or maybe I'll chicken out and pick a Passat up at auction ....
:confused:

To be honest I cant decide between a hatch or something bigger....
I think whatever make of car you buy, you will find all sorts of horror stories on the forums, I could tell you things about VW's that would put you off. I think there are no bad cars today but all modern cars haave their own issues. I have had problems with my Croma but I really love it, don't be put off, they are a lot of car for your money. Bob (y)

A Croma is somewhere between an estate and hatchback. It's pretty handy for load-lugging, but not too hearse-like for daily driving.

It's probably unique - there are other 5-seater MPVs, but they're all based on a floorpan from a car that's a size smaller, e.g. Seat Altea (VW Golf-based), Ford C-Max (Focus-based). The Croma's based on a Vectra, which makes it a very useful size. However, it's not ridiculously wide, so fine for slotting into a parking space.

Ours is spot on for us - she takes it to work most days and I use it for extreme DIY. It's also luxury transport for trips out / UK holidays and gives pretty good mpg.

I think whatever make of car you buy, you will find all sorts of horror stories on the forums, I could tell you things about VW's that would put you off. I think there are no bad cars today but all modern cars haave their own issues. I have had problems with my Croma but I really love it, don't be put off, they are a lot of car for your money. Bob (y)

Sure, the car I need to replace is a Golf with a terminal engine issue (bore wear) at 90,000 miles, even with regular careful servicing (I used to drive it a bit too quick though). Had hoped it would trudge on til at least 140,000m. Yes, in internet forums you're more likely to hear about problems of course. On the other hand my Golf is 10 years old and has had very little go wrong, tyres and brakes only need doing every 40 -50,000miles, its been virtually free motoring once I'd paid for it. From reading this forum I've formed the conclusion that if I buy a Croma, I'll be getting a nicley designed, comfortable spacious family car at a bargain price (a bit like the Scenic perhaps), but:
- I'll poss have continual rear suspension / tyre wear issues.
- the driveshafts / CV joints could wear and need replacing (I seem to remember CV joints figuring quite a bit with my past Fiat experiences)
- springs might break (though I had one go on my Golf last MOT)
- alternator may fail and is expensive / a pig to replace
- exhaust issues
- water pump may fail
- DPF / DSG issues
- if I do an oil change myslef I will have to reset the service indicator with software or expensive damage may ensue?
- even though its common GM / FIAT group parts, replacement parts are often scarce or expensive, it can be difficult figuring whther a GM part would be the correct type, eg brake pads. With only 1400 sold I guess Haynes won't be going to the effort of publishing a book!

On the plus side I have a soft spot for Fiats (but the opposite for Vauxhalls, its one make on my 'never own' list) with a 126, 128, Uno and Panda in the family through the 70s, 80s and 90s. I think Croma's look great and I like the fact its a bit different- all the sheep around here seem to drive the same 4 or 5 models.

There was an 07 Croma on 42K miles at BCA the other day, I was keen on going, but the Golf broke down and left me with a £300 bill (recovery plus new clutch pedal and hydraulic cylinder). Would love to know what it went for...
Buying-wise it seems most available are in the midlands/north and I'm south of London. There's a tidy looking one at a dealer in Tunbridge Wells with only 9K on the clock at the moment but they want funny money for it as a consequence. I'm willing to wait a few months and go to auction if a low/mid miler comes up.

The sensible choice for my would be a 1.6D Focus Est or Volvo V50, but are usually out of price range - or even a Stilo Multiwagon perhaps.

.. sorry to hijack the original poster's thread, but I guess I've got the same 'should I buy' dilemma....

A question- I need roof bars, so presumably I need to find a Croma with roof rails already fitted, and then source compatible cross-bars?

but:
- I'll poss have continual rear suspension / tyre wear issues.
- the driveshafts / CV joints could wear and need replacing (I seem to remember CV joints figuring quite a bit with my past Fiat experiences)
- springs might break (though I had one go on my Golf last MOT)
- alternator may fail and is expensive / a pig to replace
- exhaust issues
- water pump may fail
- DPF / DSG issues
- if I do an oil change myslef I will have to reset the service indicator with software or expensive damage may ensue?
- even though its common GM / FIAT group parts, replacement parts are often scarce or expensive, it can be difficult figuring whther a GM part would be the correct type, eg brake pads. With only 1400 sold I guess Haynes won't be going to the effort of publishing a book!
Hi

The Croma is far superior to the Stilo in many ways and not much more expensive. Just a quick comment on some of your points. As you say if there is likely to be a problem you will hear about it here.

I wouldn't say that the rear suspension issues are common. I've had no bother with suspension or tyre wear on mine. Even if there is bother there are plenty of options to replace the FIAT bendy's with something better and for less money.

The CV's haven't gone on mine yet. I sense that this is more of a problem with manual transmission cars than the autos. Could be because the torque converter takes some of the strain.

Yes the springs break - but that is due more to councils using aggressive speed bumps and the cr*p state of our roads.

The alternator will fail as it is a pile of sh*t*. However they can be done for under £200 if you shop around.

The only exhaust issue I've had was the flexi rusting on the front down pipe (I've had one of these go on a Toyota paragon of reliability before). We now know these can be sourced cheaply.

Water pump can frail. But most people have them changed when the cam belt is changed at 60k miles or five years. They are only £70 new.

I think only one person on here has had a DPF issue (What is DSG?). There are problems with the EGR's clogging, but these can be picked up new for £115 (got mine off fleabay for £45 - it is a GM part) and they are a 10 minute job. Plus the holed blanking plate from FIAT at £5 helps to prevent further clogging. (This happens on VW's too).

Parts can be scarce. But hunting the internet can reap many rewards in terms of supply and cost (what else were you going to do with your spare time anyway?). Haynes don't do a manual but you can get the FIAT workshop manuals on CD off ebay for a couple of quid (I believe there is a free download on this site too). You can also get the EPER parts cd from there too. If in doubt just ping the forum.

We have the brake pads figured too - the 8v diesel is the same as the Vectra. The 16v and 2.4 have a caliper unique to FIAT. My local dealer will do the job for £90 all in.

Where else can you get 150 bhp and 40 mpg for this money? Go on, buy one - you know you want to.:tempt:

Last edited:
I think the list above is very well researched, but you're getting a very gloomy impression from distilling down every problem seen on here. Just to give you an example individual car...

I've replaced the alternator. I did the work myself, even though I've never lifted the bonnet on any previous car. It was a pig of a job, but perfectly do-able.

I've also replaced the engine thermostat (myself).

I also had to get the rear springs changed, but to be fair I have been carrying bricks, gravel, rubble and soil in it, so I can't complain.

I have never had excessive tyre wear or any other issues.

I get the oil changed at an independent garage, and reset the computer myself. It's a doddle of a job, using a laptop, some free software and an interface cable that was £7 brand new from ebay.

All the above is during the 30k miles we've had it. It's been less reliable than other cars I've had, but far from a disaster.

Thanks for the comments people. I think it comes down to Focus Estate, Passat Estate or a Croma, whatever comes along first. Let the gods decide....

Thanks for the comments people. I think it comes down to Focus Estate, Passat Estate or a Croma, whatever comes along first. Let the gods decide....

The Focus is known to be a Ford. Be very wary.

The 1.9 Passats are known to have DPF issues - be wary.

Same with the Scenic II, and probably most other diesels of the last 10 years I guess.

The 2.0 D Passat engine is supposed to be much smoother than the one it replaced, I might be wrong but I think the 1.9 was phased out beginning in 06ish. Presumably the 1.9 is the same unit that is fitted to millions of Golfs too.

Again, thanks for the observations. I guess it all depends on how much of a bargain I can find. I can understand why an owner would be concerned about values unless they were going to keep the Croma for a while. A flip through Parkers reveals a 1.9 eleganza, 06 on average miles is worth around 4K, and looking through all the ads at the moment garages seem to be asking 5 - 6k, which is unrealistic esp as i saw a good 06 Passat Est, 50k miles, make £6,200 at auction a couple of months back. The car with 9000 miles on the clock is only worth an extra £750ish according to parkers, so the £7k asking price is way too high.

OK, Parkers isn't Glass's, and its only a guide, but as a buyer I'll be sitting this one out!

Same with the Scenic II, and probably most other diesels of the last 10 years I guess.

The 2.0 D Passat engine is supposed to be much smoother than the one it replaced, I might be wrong but I think the 1.9 was phased out beginning in 06ish. Presumably the 1.9 is the same unit that is fitted to millions of Golfs too.

Again, thanks for the observations. I guess it all depends on how much of a bargain I can find. I can understand why an owner would be concerned about values unless they were going to keep the Croma for a while. A flip through Parkers reveals a 1.9 eleganza, 06 on average miles is worth around 4K, and looking through all the ads at the moment garages seem to be asking 5 - 6k, which is unrealistic esp as i saw a good 06 Passat Est, 50k miles, make £6,200 at auction a couple of months back. The car with 9000 miles on the clock is only worth an extra £750ish according to parkers, so the £7k asking price is way too high.

OK, Parkers isn't Glass's, and its only a guide, but as a buyer I'll be sitting this one out!

You can't really compare an auction priced Passat with a retail Croma. You have to factor in that the dealer has a mark up of around £1500 to £2000 on a Croma. Your BCA Passat on a dealer forecourt would be at least £7995 if not £8500.

a good dealer would have gone over the car putting faults right some times even using smart repairer to do minor dings and stone chips, at an auction you gamble could buy the car and it needs new engine or gearbox.
i dont think dealers want to sell their cromas though, ive email loads of them and none reply

You can't really compare an auction priced Passat with a retail Croma. You have to factor in that the dealer has a mark up of around £1500 to £2000 on a Croma. Your BCA Passat on a dealer forecourt would be at least £7995 if not £8500.

Thats' true but I wouldn't buy a Passat from a dealer. I'm just seeing it from my perspective - I can source from BCA, Autotrader, Exchange&Mart, etc. At the moment virtually all the Cromas I'm seeing advertised are at dealers. As a buyer, of course I want some kind of amazing bargain, who wouldn't? Of course the minute I buy a Croma (or whatever) I'll be wanting the value to appreciate! I guess the private Croma owners that do sell are mostly part-exing.

2 young kids, pay drop of 30% over the last 2 years and the Mrs on maternity leave means I really have to sniff a proper bargain out though :eek:

Back