Ducato Buying a Campervan I hope,. It is 2007, 2.8JTD 130bhp. Is there anything particular I should look out for.

Currently reading:
Ducato Buying a Campervan I hope,. It is 2007, 2.8JTD 130bhp. Is there anything particular I should look out for.

Suelli

I am thinking of buying a 2007 Fiat Ducatto 2.8JTD, 130bhp. 12months MOT and recent service. Is there anything I should be double checking when I go to look at it? Please>

I am thinking of buying a 2007 Fiat Ducatto 2.8JTD, 130bhp. 12months MOT and recent service. Is there anything I should be double checking when I go to look at it? Please>
Mostly same as buying any 17 year old vehicle, just because it may have a shiny camper body it is still a fairly old vehicle though may have done less miles than a general working van of that type, but also may have stood around for lengths of time which is not good for any vehicle.
Good that it has 12 months Mot, but check Gov. Web site for advisories on previous Mots etc.
Get written proof of last time date and mileage cam belt kit fitted, as if breaks it destroys the engine, not just valves it bends con rods etc. So if not 100% sure have it replaced by reputable garage.
I assume no error codes /warning lights etc.
Also get all spare keys and test that they will start the vehicle as immobiliser chipped keys kept separately may get you out of expensive trouble one day.
Others here can advise better re campers but usual things I would have thought , damp ingress, making sure all gas products work safely including heating, cooking and hot water supply, plus electrical hook up and charging circuits.
Give it a good long road test, checking all the gears, brakes, how it pulls up steep hills etc. water temperature and level both before , during and after test, oil level and how clean it is, oil leaks on engine and gearbox.
If it is a trader, what warranty in writing does it include ?
If not mechanically minded, take one with you, as I assume it is more than a few pounds to buy.:)
Generally I like the 2.8 JTD engine, not a high revving engine but plenty of torque, more than the later 2.3s and 3litre ones, though less economical in my experience which was mostly with those engines in Iveco Daily's which were heavy to start with having a separate steel chassis, mine used to return around 24mpg whether towing a 3.5 tonne trailer or not, where as the one 2.3 Daily I had returned 28mpg though admittedly had £5k worth of brand new engine by Iveco dealers shortly before the owner went bankrupt and I bought the extended long wheel base van at auction for around £1150 including Vat.;)

I don't know if the AA still do a pre purchase inspection for a fee, If they do it would be well worth it. You didn't have to be an AA member to purchase the inspection.

Motor homes can be very very expensive, the cost of an inspection could save you from buying a total lemon.

Rust could be a big problem together with worn out rubber components on vehicle around 16 years old. Especially if it has spent any time near the coastline - I see you are in Cornwall.

The 2.8jtd was fitted to the Ducato x244 model, of which production ceased in mid 2006.

The 2007 year mentioned probably represents conversion/sales delays.

As it is an x244, which can be confirmed by the VIN having the form ZFA244...... you must be shure to be aware of this if buying spare parts for the base vehicle.

The 2.8jtd engine can come in several versions. The majority seem not to have EGR, which was an option. The 2.8jtd does not use glowplugs, instead it has a flame starter. I think that 130bhp is optimistic rounding up for this engine, more likely 127bhp max. Having peak torque at 1800rpm gives the engine good pulling power.

Later models were fitted with a plastic fuel filter housing. This filter is mounted on the bulkhead behind the air filter, often referred to as a "green" filter, the one on my 2006 x244 2.8jtd is all black. These filters need special tooling to hold them when replacing the element, and perhaps this was not always used. On the later x250 model they developed a reputation for developing leaks subsequent to servicing. I have used the appropriate tool, and no fuel leaks to date.

Check the fuel filter area for any signs of fuel leaks. Also check that the starter does not seem to struggle. I am aware from another forum, of a member not being satisfied, and reporting noticeable improvement after a replacement starter was fitted. Got me thinking......

As has been mentioned the key code system can give problems, and if it fails you are stuck, with possible high costs. Try turning the ignition on and off for upto 10 times while carefully observing that the padlock icon on the instrument panel goes out BEFORE you switch off. No need to start the engine for this.

ABS was an option on the x244. More complication that you may/may not need.

Many motorhomes do not use a Fiat chassis, but instead use an Alko extended chassis. I do not have this on my PVC, but be aware that the whole rear end may be part of the conversion.

Last edited:
Thank you so much for all those tips. I think i need to find myself a mechanic to check all these points. I’m going to look at it on Sunday with a very open mind and eyes.

What a good job I got an AA inspection done. The van looked just right to me but the AA mechanic certainly didn’t agree with me. So the search continues.
At least you have not bought a load of trouble, an AA or similar inspection is well worth the money.
As I used to say to my customers, it the next biggest investment next to your house you are ever likely to make!:)

What a good job I got an AA inspection done. The van looked just right to me but the AA mechanic certainly didn’t agree with me. So the search continues.
Thank goodness you did get AA inspection.
How much did the inspection cost? Knowing may help others.

Plus if you don't mind and have the time please post what as inspection found and the number plate of vehicle

Best wishes
Jack

Back