Buy New or Used

Currently reading:
Buy New or Used

Buy New; second hand ; or something else........

• New

Votes: 7 29.2%
  • Used

Votes: 16 66.7%
  • Something else...see my post......

Votes: 1 4.2%

• Total voters
The only point I can see about buying a new car is if you do very high mileages (I heard of an Audi A3 that did 88K in its first year :eek: ) or if you intend keeping the car for more or less its entire lifetime. Personally I would buy 2nd hand, but I kinda have no choice at the mo :D . Probably save and buy a 2 year old car, no newer, but would probably go older....

Somebody has to buy new cars, because thats what generates second hand ones... If you want to own a car for its entire useful life, buy new you'll get 10+ years motoring out of it. But if you're changing your car every few years buy ex-lease hire/fleet cars the worst of the depreciation is over. Personally, there are a few cars that I would like to own, that are no longer being made.

Alex said:
Somebody has to buy new cars, because thats what generates second hand ones... I
big companies can do that.
new a guy whos company would say how much they wanted for the car after 3 years, the drives could then sell the cars them selves and keep any profit, good idea because it made the drivers look after thier cars better (y)

Yeah some one has to buy them, but I'm glad I'm not one of them :) I can sit there and look at someone with a brand new Clio or Corsa and think 'my car cost less than 10% than yours did, and mine does exactly the same thing as your brand new one, except I won't be that upset when it gets dinged in the car park, or gets scratched' I LOVE CHEAP(ISH) CARS!!!!!!

wolfracepunto said:
New, as long as discounts are involved......Its nice to know the cars not been ragged and you can specify different options (y)
Exactly - unless you are willing to search around for the 'perfect' second hand car, and get real lucky, there are always going to be comprimises made, however slight.

I have bought new and second hand - my last car was indeed a 2 y/o Stilo.

My next car will be bought NEW through the business. The actual 'waste' of money will be offset by the tax advantages on it [please note, this is NOT a company car BUT a car owned by the proprietor].

It is really each to their own - everyone has different requirements - perceived length of ownership, type of driving, available cash [or lack of], ability to get cheap finance, annual mileage, etc.

Had lot's of new cars as company cars and bought 3 new ones myself. I have also bought a lot of ex-demonstrators which are only 3-4 months old and you save a huge amount of money for what is essentially a new car. You normally get lot's of extra's on the demo cars.

Andy

New for me, you get that amazing feeling when you collect it, you know its never been thrashed and It don't need a respray the day you buy it. You also get a 3 year waranty, and the choice of whatever extras you like in the colour you prefer and buying a Fiat for me also gets me a 25% discount so I may as well buy new :)

But what if you didn't want a Fiat? Would you buy new then? The only feeling I would get is that as soon as I drive off the forecourt, a 4 figure sum has just gone off the value of the 'new' car. (n)

but when the car only has a couple of miles on the clock thats gonne be very minimal.

But what if you didn't want a Fiat? Would you buy new then? The only feeling I would get is that as soon as I drive off the forecourt, a 4 figure sum has just gone off the value of the 'new' car. (n)
Probably yes to that one too as I will get the same deal with Alfa Romeo too ;)

If i was buying something like an Audi or VW then im not too sure if i would buy new as there prices are well over the top.

Back