Technical Bump strips

Currently reading:
Technical Bump strips

OxO

right tonight i decided to remove my bumpstrips or my 2001 sei sporting. i have removed bumpstrips off loads of puntos in the past and thaught it wont be much different so i did a little research on here and found out it was basically the same except there is a little hole at the edge in the door! which i was going to cover with a small abarth skirt badge(y)

but after i removed the bump strip there is some thick black silicon left on my door and i cant remove it with any thing without damaging the paint!:bang: :( :cry:

anyone got any suggestions of something that can remove it i have tried tar remover and a hair dryer to loosen it but its not budging!

please help i have a half de striped door and i cant put the strip back on as it split....long story:(

cheers oxo

If its the black double sided tape your talking about then i use a caramel wheel an a low speed drill to remove that and doesnt destroy the paint, but i cant stress enough use a LOW SPEED drill. hopr this helps

simon

Attachments

• wheel.jpg
    wheel.jpg
    2.4 KB · Views: 183
Last edited:
no its not tape i got the tape off thats the easy bit lol.

what it looks and feels like is rubbery silicon stuff and its like welded to my door :bang:

ill still give that ago though as it wont hurt owt if it doesnt work

i know it might be a bit late could it be windscreen bonding ?? i am sure theres a very easy way too remove this

it could be....
i used a stanley knife blade to take it off as close as i could to the paint with out actually taking the paint off, but its still visable so im trying to source some more bump strips as my old one is useless:(

isnt there a slight impression on the door and rear quarter panel when you remove bumps strips on a seicento tho?? o

No, possible brighter paint underneath especially if you have a red/yellow one. T-cut would sort that.

There is a hole though that can collect water but you can easily cover this up

There is a hole though that can collect water but you can easily cover this up

i was getting some nice little abarth skirt badges to cover them(y) but it doesnt matter4 now im trying to get some bumpstrips to colour code

so you remove the bump strips and its completly flat! Ace, that the reason i've been holding off....hope it looks good without them!

how big is this hole and can you get behind it to put a plate behind?

Sorry for the hijack ;)

To get sticky stuff off the car before i have used t-cut and a cotton rag, need lots of it, the rag gets gummed up quick, but that means its not on the car any more (y)

Kristian

i removed them and it is completly flat apart from a 3mm hole at the back of the door. but mine is a bit crap and had black silicon stuff under. but ive got a master plan ..... watch this space

it doesnt matter4 now im trying to get some bumpstrips to colour code

just repaint your existing ones :confused:

@ kritip as oxo said its only tiny, but is noticeable and will collect water if not covered. Abarth badges which oxo was going to use would cover them up.

Think Gaz (wrexham) did it to his sei and should be pics knocking about, if not from him then someone else

Last edited:
just repaint your existing ones :confused:

it split in half when removing it:(

i still have the drivers side on the car till i can get hold of another bumpstrip, im going to have a look round some of the other scrap yards tomorrow to see what i find. ill take some photos of the drastic job thats left of my passenger side tomorrow to show the hole ect :bang:

Think Gaz (wrexham) did it to his sei and should be pics knocking about, if not from him then someone else

when they are removed there is a recess about 2mm deep at the edges then a curved bit like a half moon running from top too bottom of the recess rinning the entire length of the bump strip / sticker

i removed mine a had the recess filled and smoothed
looks like the picture now

and as u can just make out from B3yBO's sei the small recess running along the door

Attachments

• 08092007083.jpg
    08092007083.jpg
    714.6 KB · Views: 17
  • P1100204.jpg
    P1100204.jpg
    69.3 KB · Views: 21
You can see it clear as day on my Sei -

I personally I prefer that look to being smoothed over, it gives a little detail left on the car especially with that little rubber door guard.

You can see it clear as day on my Sei -

I personally I prefer that look to being smoothed over, it gives a little detail left on the car especially with that little rubber door guard.

i like the look of just the bump stop removed but i had it resprayed so i though lets do something different lol

it also ties in with the rear bumper which u can just make out havent got a better pic of it at the moment though (mesh is now matt black just like the lights

Attachments

• 08092007085.jpg
    08092007085.jpg
    633.8 KB · Views: 11
well i got hold of a new strip today :D :slayer: cost me 5 pound from a local-ish scrap yard they are the rubber sporting ones and they came off a 2002 sei sporting that was in absolute mint condition from the front of the door backwards.... the front was a little flat to say the least :(

well i used some super duper silicon glue stuff to attach it tonight but hopefully the little chav s**ts leave it on my car so the glue has chance to hold.

fastfiat how much did the smoothing and spraying cost? its got to be said it looks a really good job and your wheels really compliment the sei (y)

wa would be the best way to remove the bump strips then. with a hairdryer?? heat the glue up then easier removal? just like the rear badges? i thik i may like the look of a small recess along the door. but same colour as rest of car.

Back