4x4_Pandas.jpg

Buick Skylark, Nothing like a Panda.

Introduction

Just picked up this beauty :D. It's a '69' Buick Skylark GS Custom to give it it's full title.

I look at cars as works of art as much as anything else and as a result have always wanted a Buick Riviera from 1963, well this is close enough for now. I know American cars aren't everyones cup of tea but I just love the shear presence they have, particularly those from the 50's and 60's when the styling was so over the top.
I do love my classic Pandas and will always own at least one, but with so many other cars that interest me they'll be sharing the drive with stuff like this from time to time.

wow.....looks sweet

bet that cost alot

got any more specs ?

It's got a 350cu. in. V8 ( or 7.5 Panda 750L engines), 2 speed powerglide autobox. It's a long stroke engine so although it produces 265bhp it doesn't feel like it. It's a lazy engine with 370lbs ft of torque so copes easily with only two gears.
This one has done 74,000m, been in this country since 1998 and lovingly cared for by the same owner since then until last June when a friend of his bought it, I bought it from him as he wasn't able to use it as much as he'd like.
I intend to use it for shows and special occasions until someone makes me an offer I can't refuse, but I'm really hoping that doesn't happen too soon :(.

Every time I stop somewhere someone will want to talk about it so it's best to only go out when I'm not in a hurry.

I'll upload some more pics when I can.

Last edited:
Wow nice one vernon!! Talk about a contrast!! Love it though, I want a challenger or mustang personally. Parking is more likely to be the problem though lol.

Si

Hi Si,

Just been catching up with your Marbella thread, had to go back to posts in June! :eek:, took me half an hour. Good to see you're persevering with it and getting results though. Shame about the gearbox but not the end of the world (y). I still have my Terra but it's been sidelined for a while, hope to get back on to it once my workshop and a few other cars are out of the way.

Awesome car! I really like the way the rear quater glass winds down. Im a bit of an American Muscle car fan aswell the 1970 Plymouth Cuda is my personal favourite.

Yeah I like the side window thing too :), hope I've still got it in the summer.
I Like the Cuda too, after these it all went a bit pear shaped for American cars, emission control equipment strangled the engines and the styling became terrible :yuck:.

i love it :p

me and me' dad are looking at getting some old american muscle for his 50th...

probably a mustang mach 1, or maybe a 51 ford f series side step pickup truck :D

I was offered a very tidy Mach 1, just like the one in the James Bond film, for £650!!! It was 30 years ago though ;).

Looks good (y)

but trust you to get something you can use a Panda instead of a spare wheel !!!!:D

Cheers Trev, I keep a Panda in the glove box at all times ;).

nice, not my favourite classic american V8 car, which at the moment is the 68-70 charger, but it's another good example of why 60s cars are the best styled, worldwide, with the national differences being massive yet each country at it's peak of styling.

not too keen on the beige interior, but that dashboard is :yum:

Any videos demonstrating the noise of it? btw mpg? :devil::slayer:

nice, not my favourite classic american V8 car, which at the moment is the 68-70 charger, but it's another good example of why 60s cars are the best styled, worldwide, with the national differences being massive yet each country at it's peak of styling.

not too keen on the beige interior, but that dashboard is :yum:

Any videos demonstrating the noise of it? btw mpg? :devil::slayer:

Wasn't on my list of favourites either, and no, I can't say the trim is to my taste. But the overall originality and condition of this car had me thinking it was a worthwhile investment. I wasn't really aware of the model until seeing this very car at a show 4 years ago but I can certainly live with it for now ;).

The looks are far easier to live with than the fuel consumption, as you've probably guessed. Over the 350 miles covered so far I've averaged 18 mpg, not good if it's your everyday car but acceptable for an occasional show/hobby car.

Sorry, no video atm, but will see what I can do. The exhaust is bog standard so the sound is not as exciting as you may hope.

Last edited:
Wasn't on my list of favourites either, and no, I can't say the trim is to my taste. But the overall originality and condition of this car had me thinking it was a worthwhile investment. I wasn't really aware of the model until seeing this very car at a show 4 years ago but I can certainly live with it for now ;).

The looks are far easier to live with than the fuel consumption, as you've probably guessed. Over the 350 miles covered so far I've averaged 18 mpg, not good if it's your everyday car but acceptable for an occasional show/hobby car.

Investments are fine, as long as you enjoy the car as well which you certainly seem to be planning on. Nothing annoys me more than people buying decent cars and not driving them at all.

18mpg from a 5.7 seems excellent compared to the book mpg of my 1.8 MGB, 22mpg. Though thankfully i've been managing much better, or at least been able to live with it for my purposes, though i'd rather lose 4mpg for a proper V8 :slayer: pretty jealous!:eek:

Investments are fine, as long as you enjoy the car as well which you certainly seem to be planning on. Nothing annoys me more than people buying decent cars and not driving them at all.

18mpg from a 5.7 seems excellent compared to the book mpg of my 1.8 MGB, 22mpg. Though thankfully i've been managing much better, or at least been able to live with it for my purposes, though i'd rather lose 4mpg for a proper V8 :slayer: pretty jealous!:eek:

:yeahthat:

Back