General Broken into, repairing damage

Currently reading:
General Broken into, repairing damage

Just bought a little Punto Active in Scilla Red.

Overall in nice condition, however it was cheap because the passenger door had previously been broken into.

The owner at the time at just covered all the damage over will filler, however I thought it looked awful like that.

So this morning I got all the filler off, and this is what I'm left with

hNdKaMS.jpg

I'm not sure what to do now. Try and bend everything into shape and get a new lock?

Or get a replacement door, have it resprayed and fit that? I've tried to find a door in the same colour but not had any luck

Is that just the original hole where the key barrel sits?

If so.. and rest of door is good..

Get a sheet of Steel..or Alloy..

Make a correct slotted hole to accept the barrel.. and bond it to the inner side of doorskin

Tidy appearance and functional strength :)

I'd be inclined to keep a look out for a replacement door, to be fair it might have been wise to do that before you dug the filler out and left a big hole in your door, bear in mind that once the lock is out often its very easy to put a finger in the whole and operate the door lock.

I'd be inclined to keep a look out for a replacement door, to be fair it might have been wise to do that before you dug the filler out and left a big hole in your door, bear in mind that once the lock is out often its very easy to put a finger in the whole and operate the door lock.

No need to worry about that, the Punto is in my garage and won't be coming out until it is secure

It's upsetting because someone did the same thing to my Punto. Haven't gotten around to repairing it though but it sucks that people do this. Poorly built locking system imo.

Well I haven't had much luck in locating a correctly coloured door.

As I would have needed to order a new lock anyway, I thought for now I would order the lock, fit it, and tidy it up the best I can.

I will now keep my eye out for a replacement door

sIdnXUr.jpg

It's upsetting because someone did the same thing to my Punto. Haven't gotten around to repairing it though but it sucks that people do this. Poorly built locking system imo.

Its how things were back then :eek:

In that era I worked with a guy in his late 20's who had inoperable cancer..
He treated himself to a Golf GTI
it was broken into this way weekly :(

He ended up with a Stainless Steel plate spot welded in the inner doorskin.

The repair outlasted him.. poor chap.

Back