General Broken Bravo!!

Currently reading:
General Broken Bravo!!

BigJim

Ok so i ran my car dry of oil... something is now knocking really loud in the engine, i've filled it up with oil now but the noise hasnt gone away...

Are there any things in the engine that would go first when an engine is run dry? need some advise cos if i stick it in a garage they will crusify me for prices, i can see it comin...

Any help appreciated! :cry:

Knocking suggests its a bottom end problem im going to assume youv'e worn your shells (bearings). But dont Quote me on that,

so would it be alright to carry on driving the car even tho the knocking/grinding noise is excrutiatingly loud! or shall i put the car to bed/sell it as spares?

any ideas on how much this would cost to get repaired?

You could take it to your local scrap yard and see if they have a replacement engine and ask them to do an engine swap. Will cost about £350 but can you get a new car for £350 +what you get for breaking your car?

It's up to you at the end of the day.

The damage has been done now. It's always worth taking it to a garage and getting someone to properly diagnose the problem.

Ok so i ran my car dry of oil...
oh no! :eek:

something is now knocking really loud in the engine, i've filled it up with oil now but the noise hasnt gone away...
bottom end knocking means its time to replace the engine, that will be cheaper than fixing it.

i agree the most likely culprit for the knocking is the crank shells, but replacing them wont mean there are not other problems you cant hear.

Last edited:
Back