General Brightest LEGAL headlamp bulbs

Currently reading:
General Brightest LEGAL headlamp bulbs

Metalguru3

Hi Everyone,

this debate will run forever - whatever owners' forum you join - up pops the thread of brighter headlamps.
On the way back from Derby last night I was blinded by an oncoming car who "forgot" to dip early enough, so although I've risked 100/130's in the past (very good by the way with decent wiring and 4 relays) I don't want to fall into either the unsociable or illegal brackets now I'm supposedly a bit more responsible.

So - what is the brightest H4 headlamp bulb you can buy, which is legal and doesn't require any re wiring

It's true - the unlit part of the A38 is a nightmare for it - I was on the A513 which is the twistiest unlit fast road in the area so temporary blindness is a biggie.
I think though my eyesight may have been spoiled over the years by drinking enough Marston's Pedigree to float the QE2!!

my choice
KOITO WHITE BEAM III 55/60 watt 3770k (in russia legal <4000k)

koito-h4-whitebeam-iii-12v-60-55w-3770k-p0732w.jpg

be carefully, koito white beam III also made 4000K and 4200K (legal in japan as i know)

Last edited:
Hi, I use osram night breaker plus. Reasonable money and a lot whiter light.

The legal limit is 55\60w on an h4 bulb. Halfords 90% brighter are utter rubbish, and mega money.

I think i paid about £9 for one pair of osrams, and £11 for the other pair.
No alteration of wiring required.

Ring automotive do a tiny set of driving lamps that look good, but I can't find anywhere inconspicuous to mount them. I don't want to drive around looking like a rally wanabee with my spot bar on the front, if you know what I mean.

Hi Everyone,

this debate will run forever - whatever owners' forum you join - up pops the thread of brighter headlamps.
On the way back from Derby last night I was blinded by an oncoming car who "forgot" to dip early enough, so although I've risked 100/130's in the past (very good by the way with decent wiring and 4 relays) I don't want to fall into either the unsociable or illegal brackets now I'm supposedly a bit more responsible.

So - what is the brightest H4 headlamp bulb you can buy, which is legal and doesn't require any re wiring

Philips X-Treme vision.
http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/accessories-tyres/89121/philips-x-tremevision

They are the brightest money can buy, only drawback is lifespan and cost.
After changing about 3-4 sets in about 2-3 years, I went for Philips EcoVision, double lifespan, and still good ilumination...

Last edited:
from what i can remember uk mot regs permit 4.2k bulbs, however you can runner higher as the tester can't physically take the bulb out to check.

universal hid kits are the worst for it. i think they are normally around 6k bright

anybody measure voltage on bulb when it working on load?

on my another car (ford probe) 10.7volts!!! very tiny wires.

when i test with wires directly on battery - much brighter

i need to check on sei

and i use ceramic socket

1172078_504914976280726_885490842_n.jpg

Last edited:
from what i can remember uk mot regs permit 4.2k bulbs, however you can runner higher as the tester can't physically take the bulb out to check.

universal hid kits are the worst for it. i think they are normally around 6k bright

The "K" is a measure of colour temperature, NOT brightness.
For the same wattage, a higher "K" will produce less usable light once above 4300K.

The MOT test doesn't specify a colour temperature, only that they can only be white or yellow.
Anything remotely blue (in the opinion of the tester) is a fail.

The "K" is a measure of colour temperature, NOT brightness.
For the same wattage, a higher "K" will produce less usable light once above 4300K.

The MOT test doesn't specify a colour temperature, only that they can only be white or yellow.
Anything remotely blue (in the opinion of the tester) is a fail.

The colour temps effect how bright the bulb gets.

It is colour temperature, not brightness.
For the same wattage, a higher colour temperature will have less usable light.
Higher K does not equal better!!

5.5k is around the same brightness as the sun. The bulb doesn't do all the work. The headlamps reflective design also aids.

Probably the reason why cheapo hid kits are now illegal on cars without the right equipment fitted to the vehicle

It doesn't need to sink in.

If you take two bulbs both 55w one in a old type headlamp and the other in a new style one the new type one will be better and brighter not because if the bulb but because if the lamp

What's the difference between a halogen bulb and a xenon bulb. Gas? But the wattage of the bulb is still the same. So what's changed?

It doesn't need to sink in.

If you take two bulbs both 55w one in a old type headlamp and the other in a new style one the new type one will be better and brighter not because if the bulb but because if the lamp

What's the difference between a halogen bulb and a xenon bulb. Gas? But the wattage of the bulb is still the same. So what's changed?

None of that has any mention of Kelvin.

You can have bulbs of the same Wattage where one is brighter than the other, but the brightness is measured in Lumen, not Kelvin.

The "K" is reference to colour or Lux on the light spectrum. The closer the light is to yellow, the better our eyes see it. If you deviate to either side of the spectrum, you will need progressively more power to compensate for the limits of eye response.
Why do the yellow Sodium street lamps look quite bright in fog and we have yellow fog lights?
You could have a million candelas output but not see much due to pushing the limits of the eyes spectrum of light.

Last edited:
Rather than changing bulbs would it be advantagous to paint the headlight unit, I think mine is a mucky white colour on the inside, would something like mirror paint work.

Just curious.

Back