Technical Breaking down, but then a stamp fixes it?!

Currently reading:
Technical Breaking down, but then a stamp fixes it?!

thisisburdett

After my last MoT R.Proietti in Holloway fitted a fuel filter just before the carb.

Since then on a number of occasions I lose complete power and the engine just shuts off. Luckily I've managed to kerb it and then get it going again shortly afterwards.

I initially thought it may have been overheating, but in this weather it doesn't make sense, seeing as the thermostat bellows are also expanding.

On feeling a little loss of power before the main event, if I put my foot right down and rev the engine right up it almost chokes a little, clears and then runs properly again.

Any ideas?

The fuel filter only looks half full when ticking over, is the whole filter meant to be completely full?

Thanks in advance.

From your description of the problem I would say that you have a slight blockage in the 'slow-running jet' part of the carb. The reason that the engine runs well when you 'rev the nuts' off the engine is that you will then have brought the 'main jet' into operation. Try removing the idle jet and holder and giving them and the 'slow-running jet' passage a good blow-out. Look at the very recent thread "Slow running-----" (y):)

I'm guessing you went to look at the London to Brighton run?

You have the same problem(s) which keep cropping up from many people posting here. An inline filter (apparently) doesn't need to be full at any time; I don't know that for a fact because I don't have one and I am defiantly not fitting one; 20,000 miles of road-testing having proven that I can save myself the enormous expense and diffculty of fitting one. :D
The symptoms sound similar to those which are usually attributed to the slow-running jet being blocked. Whip out the brass screw above the mixture screw, pull out the tiny push-fit jet in the end, blow it out and the tapping that it fits into (if you have an airline handy), partly push the jet back in, screw the holder back(which will place the jet in the right place) and then cross your fingers and hope it's sorted. :)

I just noticed Tom has said the same and been quicker than me.:bang::D

Last edited:
Perfect, thank you very much for the quick advice!
Will give it a go tomorrow!
Thanks again.

I didn't get down there unfortunately. I had a five year old birthday party to attend instead, although we took the motor down to that. Since moving back to London I'd say I use the 500 80-20 compared to my other car.
Parking is a breeze, and I'm having far to much fun slipping through the gears and avoiding all the 20mph boroughs :/

Evening all!

So I gave the carb a clear out and all seemed fine there. Was running lovely until the light dropped and I put my lights on.
I run with full beam mostly as without they are like two candles. As soon as the lights took a draw the engine started cutting out.

Coincidence?

I managed to jump start the car and made it (a very short distance) home without the lights on.

Dynamo problems?

Back