Technical Bravo on the "X" plate.

Currently reading:
Technical Bravo on the "X" plate.

Swishguy1972

Hi everyone.
I have a Bravo SX 80 16valve. It is on an "X" plate, so quite an old car I'm afraid. it is running fine, but, as a complete numpty regarding engines, I am just wondering if there is anything I can do to improve this little car? I am thinking of uprated brakes, perhaps some better engine power? I have thought about selling it when its MOT is up in August, but, it runs great, its quite nippy and I enjoy driving the old gal; and I don't want to buy someone else's problem car. I have a good mechanic friend, and he would be able to do the work (with me labouring) so, any ideas, and also, any ideas on the sort of costs I would be looking at for say: Discs/Calipers/any engine bits, perhaps nice wheels that would fit with bodywork clearance. Over to you guys. Thank you in advance.

Last edited:
Hi there,

Glad you like your Bravo, I have a Y reg Brava 1.2 and they are great to drive !

I wouldn't personally look to upgrade anything apart from the wheels and tyres, I think the SX has basic brakes with no ABS and smallish rear drums. I have a Formula model with ABS and bigger drums and they are great, but I would suggest that you and your machanic go through everything and give it a good service instead of upgrading. If you change old hoses and add new brake fluid, and clean up the calipers and drums and adjust everything (good brand but standard pads etc) then you should get good performance. Likewise change the clutch fluid and gearbox oil, and give the engine decent 10/40 semi synthetic oil and a Fiat / Mann filter.

Check for wear in the front suspension wishbone and droplink bushes, replace if necessary with decent items (try Shop4Parts). Get your tracking done.

Look for rust beneath underseal along floor / sill edges and under front seats (in corners), the old underseal fails and traps water.

Wheels and tyres... presumably you have 14" steels on the SX with 175/65 tyres. Upgrade to 15" 6J Fiat (or Alfa) bolt pattern alloys (98mm circle) and fit 185/55 x 15 tyres - best combination of looks, performance and economy.

So basically... just pay attention, make the most of the existing car and enjoy it! (y)

Bluejohn. Thank you so much for your comments. I will have a go at doing just what you said, as being sensible, it shouldn't cost me too much. I really mean this, Thank you for taking the time to get back to me. Keep well. matey. (y)

Once again, thank you for taking the time to answer me. I really do appreciate it.

Back