Technical Bravo HGT not starting

Currently reading:
Technical Bravo HGT not starting

sporting_adz

Hi guys,

The bravo started fine this morning was driving for around 5mins, pulled in to let a car past and then as went to go heard a very slight ping/snap noise and the engine stopped.
The engine has been making abit more noise around the cambelt side and I was planning to have a look/replace in jan when got more money.

So the first thing I thought was the cambelt had snapped, pulled back the cambelt cover and the belt was still on at the top, so I turnt it over and the belt was rotating but still not starting. Called the RAC out, he said it could have jumped but surely this wouldnt happen on idle/very low pull off as was on a hill.
We then noticed that there wasn't much water in the reservoir, but I've not had any over heating, think this is more due to the therm needing replaced, and not sure how this would stop the engine as it did.

Any one got any ideas on first things I could check?
cheers

Have you still got the auxiliary belt attached? If not it usually means it's snapped and gone round with the cambelt causing it to jump a couple of teeth. Doesn't sound too good though:(

Well on inspection seems the cambelt must have jamp a few teeth. The auxillary belts were still on but it seems that as ~I've read before the aux belt has caught on the cambelt cover and has caused the belt to split and the side of it to catch around the crank pulley. Looks like I've got an expensive Jan on the way, just hope havent damaged too many valves as the car was only on idle when it cut out.
Now to read the tutorials on cambelt change and replacing/checking valves and get the car as ready as poss for when I've got money to buy the parts

Thanks for the heads up on the engine.
What will be the easiest and cheapest way to get the engine correctly timed again?
On the punto I used dowels in the spark plug holes for tdc but the camshafts had slots to line up. How will I know if the piston one is on compression or exhaust so that I can get the cams lined up correctly?

Back