Technical Bravo 1.9JTD Alternator

Currently reading:
Technical Bravo 1.9JTD Alternator

lee_gti

My alternator on my bravo went over the weekend and it looks like its going to be an expensive job and I was wondering if anyone has had any experience replacing an alternator on the 1.9jtd bravo and how hard they found it?

If not does anyone know a reasonable chain of companies who replace alternators or anywhere in Medway, Kent who they have had experience with and would recommend.

Thanks in advance.

Lee

I wouldn't try doing it yourself as its such a pain, it simple wont come out once unbolted. I'm not sure whats the correct way to remove it but some have removed the drivers side suspension, some have undone the engine mounts and pushed the engine over etc etc. Before you replace the alternator get your pulley checked first, its a clutch pulley and they can wear out.

A refurbished fiat alternator will cost you around £250 thats if you have aircon too as you'll need the 120AMP alternator. You can buy cheaper non branded ones but i had problems with them. It cost me £150 delivered but from experience I would tell you to avoid them.

To remove and fit a new alternator its approx 2-3hours work if your a skilled mechanic.

Last edited:
Thanks for the info...I was just wondering if the part number can be found without taking off the alternator?

I have been quoted between £250 - £450.00 but still waiting for Fiat to get back to me as I wanted to see how much they feel the work would cost.

I am thinking of going with a local garage rather than a chain...do you think that is the best way to go about it?

Lee

P.S. JoskeJTD I am liking the Bravo, I have the same wheels on mine. Some chav thought it would be funny to shout three spoke alloys at me once as he thought it was an insult to me or my alloys

Last edited:
Thanks for the info...I was just wondering if the part number can be found without taking off the alternator?

I have been quoted between £250 - £450.00 but still waiting for Fiat to get back to me as I wanted to see how much they feel the work would cost.

I am thinking of going with a local garage rather than a chain...do you think that is the best way to go about it?

Lee

P.S. JoskeJTD I am liking the Bravo, I have the same wheels on mine. Some chav thought it would be funny to shout three spoke alloys at me once as he thought it was an insult to me or my alloys

Your best asking the local garages if they have fitted one on a JTD before as it can be a right pain and may end up charging you more. I don't think you can read the part number without taking the alternator off.

In regards to the alloys they ain't three spoke, dumb chavs.

Back