Technical Brava speedo and panel problem

Currently reading:
Technical Brava speedo and panel problem

struolip

Hello everyone, I am posting this problem again hoping that there is someone out there that can help. My Brava instrument panel does not work correctly, most importantly the speedo does not move. Also the light for the odo flashes like a christmas tree light and the rev counter flys around like a fiddlers elbow, and the odo does not display mileage or clock up the miles I drive. After several miles of driving like this it suddenly clicks back into life and everything works fine until I turn the ignition off and start it again. I have checked and cleaned all the connections and cables, all is ok, and hitting the top of the dash does nothing for it. Please please there must be someone who can suggest something to try, im missing out on driving because of this, and the MOT creeps even nearer. :confused: Many thanks, Stru.

it is usually due to a broken or short circuit on the PCB. if a scrapyard panel never fails then you know your panel is faulty. adjusting mileage is very easy.

you insert a thin steel scalpel blade at the right hand side of the number you need to rotate (when looking at clock as you would when driving), then push the blade against the number hard enough to disengage it from the gear, then rotate it using your finger (or a pencil with a rubber on the end works surprisingly well), all numbers to the lef tof the one you rotate will also rotate, so you need to change them working from the right to the left (from units to 100ks). personally, to make it easier i would be happy getting it to the nearest thousand and ignoring the smaller numbers, who cares about a few hundred miles.

Alas, its a digital clock!! I have been looking at a few scrap/breakers yards today, have called a few and nobody has the correct unit for this Fiat, its going to prove hard to get hold of I reckon. :(

oh you've got digital. in that case you need to change the reading on the eeprom. digital mileage correction services will be advertised in your local paper, they dont charge much, and ask no questions.

Thats not going to be a problem because I cant find any yards anywhere near me that has the right display panel! I have even searched ebay to no avail.

have you checked the supply voltage and earths to the instruments.. and also have a look at the "services" fuse on the fusebox below the steering wheel. Then check the supply voltages at the connectors with a multimeter. you could get connection details for your instruments from the bravo PDF manuals, search the forum for a link. Also, inspect the circuit board of the instrument panel carefully for dry solder joints. Unfortunately, unless you know your way around circuit diagrams and electronics, there's not much you can do other than try a replacement panel, or bring it to an auto electrician.

For all who are interested, I finally got this sorted, I finally managed to find a spare clock panel as Jug (y) suggested, worked a treat. I just need to find somewhere to adjust the milage and i'm laughing!! Thanks.

Back