Technical Brake fluid level

Currently reading:
Technical Brake fluid level

ahmett

Prominent member
Hello guys,

Just checked my brake fluid level and saw that it is halfway between Max min. Anything I should be aware of for it to go down from max? Brake fluid last changed about 3 years ago

Hello guys,

Just checked my brake fluid level and saw that it is halfway between Max min. Anything I should be aware of for it to go down from max? Brake fluid last changed about 3 years ago

How worn are your pads? Was they wear the level can sometimes drop. I'd leave it alone and just keep an eye on it (y)

How worn are your pads? Was they wear the level can sometimes drop. I'd leave it alone and just keep an eye on it (y)
Pads were changed quite a while ago but dont feel worn and no weird noises coming from the car. Last service pads were checked and found to be in satisfactory condition.

Thats what i was thinking of doing. If the level falls anymore during my weekly checks, i'll pass by a dealer = ) Thanks for the tip.

Mark the level with a pen, or stick on a bit of masking tape (as long as the reservoir is clean and dry) and mark that.
Levels move so slowly normally that you need an accurate starting point if you're going to keep checking it.

Just as a precaution, I'd get the brake fluid tested for moisture content and have the brake hoses checked to make sure you definitely don't have leakage. Maybe you brake so hard ahmett, that any moisture that may be in your system, has boiled off some of your fluid! :p

Why don't you nip the wheels off anyway and check the pads yourself? A half hour job just to have a look wouldn't harm.

As pads wear, the hydraulic cylinders move outwards and basically their fluid capacity increases, hence the fluid level drop. If you simply add more fluid it will have to be removed when the calipers are pushed back for a pad change.

By the sounds of it the car is not far from needing new pads and the fluid is now past due. On a 500 by the time you hear or feel anything you'll already be on the metal, but the brake pad warning light should come on first.

By the sounds of it the car is not far from needing new pads and the fluid is now past due.

:yeahthat:

On a 500 by the time you hear or feel anything you'll already be on the metal, but the brake pad warning light should come on first.

Perhaps - but the car is known for uneven pad wear and it's quite possible one pad could be making metal before the sensor hits the disc.

On a 1.2 I wouldn't worry since the discs are so cheap you might as well change them anyway, but the 1.4 discs are about twice the price & I'd want to save them if I could.

Last edited:
:yeahthat:

Perhaps - but the car is known for uneven pad wear and it's quite possible one pad could be making metal before the sensor hits the disc.

On a 1.2 I wouldn't worry since the discs are so cheap you might as well change them anyway, but the 1.4 discs are about twice the price & I'd want to save them if I could.
i'll pass by the local indie who is like 5 mins from the office and will check the pads visually for free. = )

Hi got brakes checked, they said front and rear pads are worn but not completely, so recommended i change them within the next 10,000 kms which will also be at the same time as my next service so will get everything done together.

They also said we will change brake fluid while we are at it as it has been 3 years.

Will cost me 170 euros (132 GBP)
for front + rear pads + brake fluid change, which I find reasonable enough. (dont forget it is 1.4 so more expensive pads)

Back