General Brake Check

Currently reading:
General Brake Check

tipouno

Had my 1.4 Dynamic coming up for 7 years now ( 30k miles)so thought I would tackle one of my least favourite jobs, namely renewal of rear brake shoes. Having removed the drums, which was surprisingly easy (small lip) I found that the shoes were in excellent condition, so no renewal necessary. A quick brush down of the back plate etc.,was all that was required.
Drum condition, also excellent, so all in all, qualitywise, I am impressed, even though the car has not covered very high mileage.

Last edited:
Spot on, dirtyhands:D Car is as new, inside and out! Mind you, I do the cleaning and maintenance, so I claim some of the credit(y)

My punto is now on about 85k miles and as far as the millions of recipts and service history suggest it's never had new rear shoes fitted, infact its only just had a new set of discs and pads on the front having been on the originals since new. Rear brakes are really for stability and don't do a great deal in normal use so it's not surprising that after only 30k they are barely worn in.

The idea is a lovely little car and seriously under rated iny opinion it's a shame fiat discontinued it in the uk

From AndyRKett, above...

"The idea is a lovely little car and seriously under rated iny opinion it's a shame fiat discontinued it in the uk "

It is a lovely little car and I bought one new in 2005. The problem is that not many others have the same opinion about it. Last I checked, Fiat has discontinued it in most of Europe less Italy, France and Austria. In those countries the choice of trim levels, options, engines and even colors has been greatly reduced compared to what was available when it was launched. When the rather more expensive Musa started outselling the Idea, the game was pretty much over.

Brakes can last for many years, its all down to driving style and location. A regular motorway drivers brakes will last much longer than a city drivers but a good driver who uses the engine and gear box to slow the car can achieve high brake mileage. As long as it passes the MOT and they show no signs of crumbling or corrosion then fair play to your car.

Sounds like you've got some time yet before you need to do the maintance again :)

Good for you :)

Rear brakes aren't too bad tbh :)

Getting them adjusted - more of a swine

But rear brakes do help alot, when mine were shot, the time to stop felt loads better once they'd been replaced

found it wasn't as easy to lock the fronts too

ziggy

Missus' 1.3 diesel Idea is a great car. Very smooth and quiet and carries 4 adults effortlessly, and its brilliant on moteorways. It was very underpowered until I put a tuning chip in but now it has marvelous power.

Just one recent niggle - the handbrake light comes on when decelerating, Anyone else have this?

Back