Bosch Super 4's.......

Currently reading:
Bosch Super 4's.......

S

Stuart

Just changed petrol/oil/air filters, renewed the Selenia 20K oil and put Bosch Super 4 plugs in.
The old plugs were still in ace condition but the Super 4's were recommended by Tom so I thought them worth trying. Tom never gives duff advice!
I didn't expect a great difference (if any) but was pleasantly surprised. The engine pulls so much better in 4th & 5th gears. I always used to change down to 4th when going @ 25mph, as it didn't accelerate too well in top. It does now!

Getting advice from Tom & Rab turned out much more useful than the Haynes Manual.
Getting the use of my Brothers' workshop/ramp & tools made even the petrol filter change easy-peasy.

The Super 4's are £19.95 a set from Halfords. Only £4 more than the standard NGK's.

Going to East Coast tomorrow so I'll find out if I get better MPG as well as better response/acceleration.
It would be amazing if I did, because it feels like a 1.8 instead of the 1.6 it is.

I realise none of the above is rocket science, but thought the Super 4's well worth recommending as almost anyone can change plugs and an air filter, and the benefits are well worth the effort!

Do they come with a preset spark gap or do you have to set it yourself?

no gapping required.
I think that's pretty much par for the course on multi-electrode plugs.

Tom....?

If I remembr corectly the NGKs need the gap seting
the bosch not
sven

You can use the Super 4's on most of the Bravo/a range. The 1.4 and the 1.6 use the same plugs, so yes you can use the Super 4's on the 1.4. (says so on the packaging).
BTW they are factory set (as are NGK's)...no buggering about with feeler guages.

You can use the Super 4's on most of the Bravo/a range. The 1.4 and the 1.6 use the same plugs, so yes you can use the Super 4's on the 1.4. (says so on the packaging).
BTW they are factory set (as are NGK's)...no buggering about with feeler guages.

All plugs come ready set these days.

New plugs always makes a difference. I don't care what they claim as the lifetime, old plugs will always be worse than new ones.

i always used Super 4's on my 1.4 :D
dont know what i have now, cause i get the garage to do it (it breaks my heart, but she's got a fully stamped FSH that it shames a shame to end)

Buzz (formerly LightWarrior)
The champion of the Bravo 1.4
Owner of the Bravo 1.8
Member Page

So was it just the plugs that made the difference, or was it down to the filters?

yeh i bought my 1.6 100sx and got the super 4s and they do give it abit more poke!!
but after how many miles should you replace em??

SigBlock.jpg

Still needs improvement

yeah went out and bought some super 4s last nite, they have made the engine run quieter when it was just ticking over...little bit quicker on acceleration too...would definitly reccomend!!

are these easy to fit for a complete NOVICE! what do i ask for when im there?

20 min job.

You need to be careful not to cross-thread the plugs when refitting and to make sure you don't screw up the firing order.

Handy tip for avoiding cross-threading.
Instead of using a socket set to install the plug, get some rubber tubing to fit over the top of the spark plug. Using the rubber tube as your tool replacement, rotate the tubing, in turn fastening the sparkplug into the cylinder head.
The slightest chance of crossthreading will result in the tubing folding up.

Once you have turned the spark plug as much as you can using the tubing, tighten up as recommended in the Haynes manual.

DO NOT OVERTIGHTEN SPARK PLUGS!

They only need to be done 1/4 turn past finger tight. Any more and you can wreck the head.

Tom,

buggeration! How come you wreck the head if you tighten more than 1/4 past finger tight?
My old plugs were only just tight, so I made sure the new ones were tighter. Hope the hell I didn't overdo it! How will I know? I certainly didn't strip threads or suchlike, but you've got me paranoid now!