General Boot light

Currently reading:
General Boot light

is there anyone on the forum who can explain what this has come to yes the question was where is the boot light switch but I was more concerned as he was draining his battery and had scorching around his boot light my suggestion in my earlier posting seems to have angered chris as he said I was stating the obvious and when I ASKED FOR THANKS HE SEEMS TO HAVE TAKEN UMBRIDGE AT THAT I would like to know if you think I am out of order on this subject if so then I shall withdraw on the forum saddly because I LIKE IT SO MUCH
JOHN (MOTORNUT)

Dont cry about it, im going to bed so dont care bout ur rant. get over it.
oh and use some punctuation like questionmarks or its hard to understand your rant which makes it even more annoying.

n what baby acts like their going to leave the forum because someone questioned them?

Last edited:
Well what can i say :D

im sorry this subject got peoples backs up , and would like to thank each and everyone for getting involved , although i did take the bulb out and the battery seemed ok this morning ;)

Dont cry about it, im going to bed so dont care bout ur rant. get over it.
oh and use some punctuation like questionmarks or its hard to understand your rant which makes it even more annoying.

n what baby acts like their going to leave the forum because someone questioned them?
CHRIS I aint crying? I aint ranting? and I aint no baby? is that enough question marks for you? seriously do you agree to call it a day on this? life is tooooooo short (y)regards

CHRIS I aint crying? I aint ranting? and I aint no baby? is that enough question marks for you? seriously do you agree to call it a day on this? life is tooooooo short (y)regards

lol yea w/e just laughed when u were saying you were gona leave the forum if u were wrong. well u got your thanks now so you can be happy.

OK - for what it's worth... (off-topic I know :p)

The boot light circuit is live at all times, so if the switch was faulty, the light would stay on and drain the battery. Not overnight, but over the course of several days it would.

The microswitch for the boot light is part of the catch on the tailgate. You can hear it click when you move the catch slightly. If you close the catch fully, there is another click - that is a second switch for the door-open warning light on the instrument panel. It's useful to know this because it explains why the connector plug has four pins.

My boot light was not coming on even though there was a new bulb in the lamp and it was showing 12V when tested with a multimeter. I tested at the plug to the catch and found that the switch had a resistance of several hundred ohms (very odd). It's simple to remove the catch but it is very difficult to take apart (it's rivetted/peened together). I sprayed lots of contact cleaner into the catch and operated it many times by hand. This brought the resistance down to less than 1 ohm. I reconnected the catch and the light has worked fine ever since.

If the light is working all the time, that's probably caused by a broken part in the catch. Try spraying it with cleaner just in case something's stuck. After that, a replacement would be the best option.

Cheers,
-Alex

Last edited:
Back