Styling Bonnet vents

Currently reading:
Styling Bonnet vents

In theory, if air passes over a vent, you create negative pressure and it extracts. If the air pressure at the bottom off the vent becomes more negative, then air gets supplied down the vent.
In an engine compartment, the air gets dragged under the car so at or near the bulkhead it would become a vacuum so, if a vent is introduced at the rear of the bonnet it should (in theory) help air flow downward and remove the heat under the car.
The only problem is, Which pressure is greater? Under the car or over the bonnet?

Nip into your mother's knitting bag and cut several four inch long pieces of wool.

Tape these to the bonnet at various points and drive. Watch which way the wool moves to give you the correct info.

This was how aerodynamics was done a few years ago.

Cheers

D

Nip into your mother's knitting bag and cut several four inch long pieces of wool.

Tape these to the bonnet at various points and drive. Watch which way the wool moves to give you the correct info.

Cheers

D

I was reading about this technique in the latest Race Car Engineer. (y)

Cheers

D

That's a good idea, but i can't see the ones under the bonnet.
I think I'll get a perspex bonnet.:idea:

I quite fancy this.

Bit much tho.

this one is very hard too do was quoted £400 by a body shop to have a f50 vent fitted decided too have a go myself the sei bonnet is far too curvy

tryed the subaru one too looked pretty good till flat out on the motor way and had too pay my mates exess for a new screen (was before the chip repair stuff going on nowADays)
it came clean off scratched my roof just above the screen

the gte ones mouted upside down look different almost minature williams clio style

I think I'll buy a secondhand bonnet and experiment with it.
I could change the whole shape/design and take a mould of it to lay up a grp or carbon one from it...then sell em.

Back