Technical BNW paint problem

Currently reading:
Technical BNW paint problem

The problem isn't matching the resprayed areas, it's that the original paint isn't stable. No matter how well the work is done, it'll likely be just as bad again in six months time :bang::bang::bang:.

Since the OPs car is only 6 months old I would guess that Fiat will be looking into this. 2K loss for 6 months isn't exactly cheap motoring. At least on the FF the OP got honest feedback something that I didn't get on the AF.

We went to look at the MINI Cooper SD this afternoon and if they can match my figures then we will only lose £2K and we will be swapping.

Hmmm. Interesting use of the word 'only'.

2K loss for 6 months isn't exactly cheap motoring.

Took the words right out of my mouth.

Cold comfort for the OP, but there's at least one chap on this forum who kept their new TA for a much shorter period, and lost more ££££ on it.

Sadly, sometimes you just do better to cut your losses and dump a problem before even worse s**t happens. This isn't intended as a criticism of FIAT per se; any car you buy could turn out to be a lemon.

I wouldn't want to guess the price you'd be offered for this car in 2 or 3 years time, when its colour could perhaps best be described as "whites" and you're trying to convince the buyer that the by-now obvious front end respray isn't the result of accident damage :mad:.

Last edited:

Cold comfort for the OP, but there's at least one chap on this forum who kept their new TA for a much shorter period, and lost more ££££ on it.

Sadly, sometimes you just do better to cut your losses and dump a problem before even worse s**t happens. This isn't intended as a criticism of FIAT per se; any car you buy could turn out to be a lemon.

I wouldn't want to guess the price you'd be offered for this car in 2 or 3 years time, when its colour could perhaps best be described as "whites" and you're trying to convince the buyer that the by-now obvious front end respray isn't the result of accident damage :mad:.

We took the pragmatic view that we were in the brown and smelly stuff whichever way we turned and it was 'better' to get out now and cut our losses. I can well do without the additional financial costs involved but then I also value my sanity and its simply not worth the while either arguing with the w*ankers at Fiat UK or worrying about trying to get ride of an obviously resprayed and fading car in a few years time.

A bitter experience, but one which I would rather just close and get on with more important things than have this hanging over us.

We took the pragmatic view that we were in the brown and smelly stuff whichever way we turned and it was 'better' to get out now and cut our losses. I can well do without the additional financial costs involved but then I also value my sanity and its simply not worth the while either arguing with the w*ankers at Fiat UK or worrying about trying to get ride of an obviously resprayed and fading car in a few years time.

A bitter experience, but one which I would rather just close and get on with more important things than have this hanging over us.

As the aforementioned "chap" referred to in JRKs post above I made the same decision as you, for the same reasons. Although no-one likes to lose money sometimes it is better to cut your losses and draw a line under the whole thing. You can't put a price on "sanity" and in my case I considered taking the financial hit was a price that I was prepared to pay.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do. (y)

@Tony - Cheers for the reply.

Like you we took the view that it was simply better to get out now. Not a pleasant decision but the right one.

Like you we took the view that it was simply better to get out now. Not a pleasant decision but the right one.

I completely respect your decision. Good luck with the Mini and let us know how it compares as a drive to your Fiat!

....any car you buy could turn out to be a lemon....

Maybe that's the problem with this car - it is slowly morphing into a lemon.

It will end up like this:

california-lemon-law.gif

Maybe that's the problem with this car - it is slowly morphing into a lemon....

Could you not have picked a nicer set of wheels ? :)

If you opted to go for the re-spray in time you would still not have been happy with it and you could never claim that the car was original. When I sold my last car I had a LOT of explaining to do as to why the whole side of the car including the back bumper was sprayed for a slightly rusty 'scratch' on the rear arch. Only that the guy who came with the woman to buy it had seen the car in a garage (looking to trade in at the time) the week beforehand they wouldn't have believed me. You've done the right thing to get rid of it. You can't put a price on the all the agro involved in dealing with CS and the car being off the road.
Best of luck with the new purchase. (y)

Quick update - the dealer could not have been more disinterested if the object of the object of the exercise was to be disinterested; respray the front end and "see how we get on" or trade in at a crap price.

Stratstone Mini have been superb - so its all ordered; Cooper SD in cream (not yellow and white) with a black roof, delivery in 6-8 weeks and 2 years interest free.

Delighted to be rid of the Twin Air; same old story; a great car spoiled by crappy dealer/customer services.

I'll pop here from time to time to read up about the BNWs fading paintwork.

Hope you all have many hours of fun and hassle free motoring.

Last edited:
Quick update - the dealer could not have been more disinterested if the object of the object of the exercise was to be disinterested; respray the front end and "see how we get on" or trade in at a crap price.

Stratstone Mini have been superb - so its all ordered; Cooper SD in cream (not yellow and white) with a black roof, delivery in 6-8 weeks and 2 years interest free.

Delighted to be rid of the Twin Air; same old story; a great car spoiled by crappy dealer/customer services.

I'll pop here from time to time to read up about the BNWs fading paintwork.

Hope you all have many hours of fun and hassle free motoring.

Best of luck with the MINI - you have a corker of a one and by all accounts the SD model is a better proposition that the 'S' model. Personally I have already being down the BMW route before but with the 5 year protection and given the BMW service levels you should be well looked after. I have had very mixed experiences with them and when it really comes down to it prefer the 'rough and tumble' of dealing with 'Fiat'. It is disappointing that you weren't looked after on your 6 month old 500 and if it was me I wouldn't be a happy punny and would emphatise with you.

Last edited:
If it helps the OP decide what to do - my brother-in-law used to paint cars for a living and when he saw our new BNW coloured car last week the first thing he said was never to worry if it gets dinked/scratched and needs painting because the colour white was one of the easiest to get a good match on.

HTH.

Ed to add - der I see I'm too late....

Last edited:
Good luck with the Mini - I liked my 04 Cooper a lot. The SD should be good, mind - aren't they about £18000? If you keep it though, don't expect a fault-free experience - I list failed gas struts, engine mount, electric window motor, headlamp adjustment, leaking washer bottle as the faults I had after less than 50,000 miles, and they all crop up regularly on the Mini forums.
No faults on the 500 and its still BNW after a year, but early days yet!

Back