General Blown Exhaust - Car 9 weeks old!

Currently reading:
General Blown Exhaust - Car 9 weeks old!

Tonyrec

As the title.
We have had our 500 Lounge for 9 weeks now and over the past 4 or 5 there has been a little rasp/rattle coming from the exhaust.
This evening I popped my head under and saw a black soot mark on the front edge of the rear box. I could not believe it and I can feel the gases escaping before entering the box itself.

is this a record/ 9 weeks in and an unroadworthy car?

I had a Daihatsu once that got through three exhausts (under warranty) in the first two years, they just rotted away like ice in the sun, and I was doing longish runs too :( But I think the first one lasted longer than nine weeks.

As the title.
We have had our 500 Lounge for 9 weeks now and over the past 4 or 5 there has been a little rasp/rattle coming from the exhaust.
This evening I popped my head under and saw a black soot mark on the front edge of the rear box. I could not believe it and I can feel the gases escaping before entering the box itself.

is this a record/ 9 weeks in and an unroadworthy car?

Relax, there's nothing wrong with your exhaust.

The small hole at the bottom of the back box is there by design - it's to allow any collected condensation to drain out of the box.

A small amount of soot around the drainage hole is also normal.

I've previously posted a piccie - I'll have a quick search & see if I can find it.

Here it is, from this thread.

Last edited:
Cheers..........many thanks (y)

Strange tho that the Con and Use Regs state something like 'exhaust gases escaping before exiting the rear silencer!

The car still sounds like it has a loose baffle in the back box or do they all sound like that?
Its still a super car to drive and we are always rushing to get the keys first, leaving much more expensive machinery on the driveway such is the smiles for miles grin factor!

The car still sounds like it has a loose baffle in the back box or do they all sound like that?

Experience of two 1.2s were that the exhaust has a slight rasp when accelerating and a little gurgle at low speeds. Characteristics. Is this what you're hearing?

Would do no harm visiting the dealer and asking nicely if the noises and exhaust escape are normal. See the salesman when he's not busy, be polite and he'll either answer your questions or introduce you to the service department for their input. All friendly and helpful and you'll come away reassured.

Our 1.2 is still on it's our original exhaust after nearly 5 years. Isn't it double skinned anyway?

Back