Technical Blowing out power steering fluid

Currently reading:
Technical Blowing out power steering fluid

Noticed today after de freezing hand brake cables and driving up and down car park that it seems to have blown some power steering fluid out of the cap.

I can't find a leak anywhere else and the fluid level is still above min mark.

Does this point to an air lock in the system, presume that it doesn't freeze easily, only -9 last night, also its very dark in colour and i expected a clearer oil.

How do i go about bleeding the system if it is an air lock and what fluid do i use?????

Sorry its a '98 bravo hgt.

Cheers for your assistance guys.

Cleaned off the fluid from top of resevoir and it seems alot thinner then i expected and also very dark in colour.

Does it break down over time? Its probably original fluid so 14 yrs old, thinking its thinned out and possibly frozen in pipes and pressure released it out pressure cap.

Does the cap definatly have a pressure release? I'll have a look at mine as soon as im free to but I couldnt see anything specific in the manuals. I noticed some fluid on the top of my bottle aswell I wiped it off thinking it had been spilt by the previous owner but noticed it came back. looks like we have the same issue. I have no history on my fluid I imagine its original to the car and way overlooked at the moment.

Power steering fluid does get hot and our cars don't have the power steering fluid cooler like mk2's. Probaby a good thing in one way since the cooler rusts out. Maybe they are overfilled I noticed mine has always been round about maximum.

Maybe a new cap is in order too.

I noticed some Alfa caps have a take off for a small pipe.

Last edited:
Got one on eBay for £5 cant see it being significantly cheaper at the dealer.

One more left;
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/150977404753

PN:797178 correct for 1.8 and 2.0 mk1's

$(KGrHqYOKiQE5FLl154+BO(nCJVEq!~~60_12.JPG

Last edited:
This post contains affiliate links which may earn a commission at no additional cost to you.
You should definitely change the PAS fluid, it does go crappy with age. Often it will groan when near full lock.

My understanding (I've had it done for me twice on the similar Tipo) is that to bleed it you just turn it a few times from lock to lock with the engine running, and it sorts itself out.

PAS fluid is the same as ATF (auto trans fluid).

Last edited:
Got one on eBay for £5 cant see it being significantly cheaper at the dealer.

One more left;
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/150977404753

PN:797178 correct for 1.8 and 2.0 mk1's

View attachment 111553

Cheers for that....ordered.

For draining the steering fluid would you just disconnect the return pipe (No-5) and turn wheel lock to lock to empty resevoir.
Top up and repeat maybe releasing pipe to drain last dregs of old fluid as the new stuff comes through.

naread.exe

How much fluid does the system take by the way?

trpoint.gif

Last edited:
This post contains affiliate links which may earn a commission at no additional cost to you.
Back