General Battery drainage

Currently reading:
General Battery drainage

[email protected]

Hi im new to this so please bear with me. My Marea ELX Weekend 1999 2L 20v as a battery drainage problem. It was stood for a few months without running. I charged the battery up & it seemed ok! After leaving it stood for two or three hours it would not restart. Battery was down at 9.7v. Put on a new battery (old one had been on for over 3 years so was due for replacement). Car ran ok. When i went to restart a couple of hours later the battery was flat again. The alternater is pumping out 14.5v, so i don't think its that. I'am now having to diconnect the battery every time i park up. I have not changed anything on the car ie cd changer so it shouldnt really be that. I think it might be a relay or poor earth. But dont know where to start. Please help i'm going mad Andy.

connect multimeter between battery negative lead and battery negative terminal (disconenct lead and terminal first). measure the amps, that is your drain. now remove one fuse at a time until you see the drain drop significnalty, now you know which circuit the drain si from. check everything on that circuit, there is a short to earth somewhere either from a damaged wire or connector or from a faulty component.

Back