Technical Barn find panda

Currently reading:
Technical Barn find panda

turbo93

Hi all! Just bought my 2nd panda after having sold my other one a few months ago and couldn’t resist in buying another one :) This panda(still haven’t found a name for it) has been dry stored for the past 9 years and untouched for the last 4-5 years. Front brakes are slightly jammed but it cranks up. We put fresh fuel in it and changed the plugs with new ones. The problem is, the car starts for a few seconds but then shuts down as if its starving from fuel. Starts back up and does the same thing over and over again. Could it be the carburetor float? A dirty carburetor? Fuel filter has been done new by me and the fuel pump seems to be working as its squirting fuel out when tried disconnected from the carb. Below are some pics of it. Thank you all [emoji5] IMG_0375.JPGIMG_0374.JPGIMG_0373.JPG

Unlikely to be carb float. Don't mess with carb as a first fix, they are usually the last things to go wrong.

Check current supply to the coil.
It is starting while cranking, but gives up when the ignition key is released.
Might be ignition switch fault, only supplying the coil while cranking.

Unlikely to be carb float. Don't mess with carb as a first fix, they are usually the last things to go wrong.

Check current supply to the coil.
It is starting while cranking, but gives up when the ignition key is released.
Might be ignition switch fault, only supplying the coil while cranking.

No it stays started once it has started but after a few seconds it shuts back off

No it stays started once it has started but after a few seconds it shuts back off

Check fuel is a constant supply crank into a glass jar or bottle to check flow. It can be a daily pump or debris in fuel line.
To discount this problem Use a fairy liquid Bottle with fuel in direct to carb supply as a temporary header tank fuel will be regulated by the float
I had this one fuel rust in tank use air duster or air Line to clear

Check fuel is a constant supply crank into a glass jar or bottle to check flow. It can be a daily pump or debris in fuel line.
To discount this problem Use a fairy liquid Bottle with fuel in direct to carb supply as a temporary header tank fuel will be regulated by the float
I had this one fuel rust in tank use air duster or air Line to clear

So what you are telling me is to feed the fuel pump directly from a plastic bottle? Or bypass the fuel pump and connect it directly to the carb? Thanks

So what you are telling me is to feed the fuel pump directly from a plastic bottle? Or bypass the fuel pump and connect it directly to the carb? Thanks

Yes try feeding the carb direct
If a result then feed the pump
Clear the jets too with air

Make sure you are not flooding engine with too much choke.
Don't disturb the carb .
Check ignition points .
Check rotor arm.

Yes try feeding the carb direct
If a result then feed the pump
Clear the jets too with air

Sorry for asking to much. You suggest blowing air from where the fuel line connects to the carb right? Thanks alot

It has no battery. We are starting it with leads connected directly to the terminals.
????
If you are using a jump pack , stop doing that and never do that again.
If you don't use a car battery you could cause damage to the alternator and the rest of the electrical system.

If the leads make an intermittent connection then that could cause problem you are having , it also could cause alternator to be damaged.

Also having loose jump leads flopping around is a huge fire risk to both cars. Especially dangerous in an enclosed garage .
By the way if running engine in garage make sure big doors are open or you will die quickly from carbon monoxide gas

If the leads make an intermittent connection then that could cause problem you are having , it also could cause alternator to be damaged.

So the best thing to do is to connect a battery to the engine and try again? It might work?

Back