General Barchetta rear suspension arm issues. Help, Advise please.

Currently reading:
General Barchetta rear suspension arm issues. Help, Advise please.

Simple Simon

Hi all.
I have recently bought a Barchetta, wanted one for ages. Anyway it had a knocking noise from the rear and on investigation I found that the bushes in the rear suspension arms were shot.
So I went on Auto doc and ordered 2 new arms which the only ones listed.

When the arms came I found that the holes in the arms for the abs sensors are alot bigger. My sensors are 10mm but the holes in the new arms are nearer 18mm.

Can anyone offer any advice as to when the sensors/arms changed or even have a link to purchase the correct arms. Or the best way for me to sort this out.

Tia Simon

Attachments

• signal-2022-12-14-12-22-36-553.jpg
    signal-2022-12-14-12-22-36-553.jpg
    107 KB · Views: 98
  • signal-2022-12-14-12-22-18-564.jpg
    signal-2022-12-14-12-22-18-564.jpg
    129.6 KB · Views: 48
  • signal-2022-12-14-12-21-41-714.jpg
    signal-2022-12-14-12-21-41-714.jpg
    109.1 KB · Views: 51
Firstly, well done on getting your ABS sensors out. I chickened out of doing that but I kept my arms and just replaced the bearings.

It does look like there are three different arms
  1. One for non-ABS
  2. One for ABS up to modification 3253 which happened on 15/05/1999 (C3253)
  3. One for ABS post that date. (D3253)
I don't know what the differences are but the ABS sensor did change on date too. I'll try some more googling to see if I can find any pictures that could help.

1671032883962.png

This is what mine looked like and it is a December 1998 vehicle
1671033311813.png

I bet someone with a lathe could knock up a couple of reducing sleeves in about 10 minutes!
Just a small point make sure both types of ABS sensor give readings that are acceptable to the ABS computer on your vehicle.
I can't comment specifically on Fiat but having had various ABS problems in the past there is a wide variety of choices and qualities, even to the point where a Motor Factor list only one for that model but by going to a badge engineered different make of the same model was able to locate the correct alternative.
I realise people will say go to the correct dealer, but can you put hand on heart and say that works everytime.

A full VIN/Chassis number will tell us the exact part numbers for the original arms and sensors. You can then decide if you want to get replacement arms, alterative sensors or get adaptors made.
Agreed. I'm assuming the hubs aren't being changed and so the existing sensors and electronics should be ok if they can be located in the new arm correctly but it's as well to be careful as @bugsymike pointed out. Without looking it up I think the number of teeth changed with that modification number.

I bet someone with a lathe could knock up a couple of reducing sleeves in about 10 minutes!
The caliper bracket arrangement is also different as you can get the securing bolts for the caliper braket in because of the lug for the bigger abs sensor.

Does anyone know where the connector for the abs sensor is located or accessed. The wire disappears through the floor somewhere near the rear panel behind the seats but can see where it goes to.

On my car, and I thought on all of them, the connectors are underneath the car up above the axle. I disconnected mine when I dropped the axle last year. There is an illustration in the workshop manual showing the connector. I'm away from the PC at the moment but I can have a look for photos later if they'll help.

Back