General Bad noise

Currently reading:
General Bad noise

I seem to have a bad noise coming from the right hand side when turning hard(ish) to the left. Jacked up the car and fiddled with the wheel while its in gear and it still turns a bit and knocks quite bad.

Now all the signs suggest that i have a worn/broken CV joint. NOT good news if it is. Gotta wait 'till my dad gets in and double checks thats the problem before i go cry a little then hit the prozac before getting prices for a new joint/ say balls and get another and break this one.

It's a wear and tear part. Just get it fixed at some back street garage and that'll be that.

It's sometimes actually worth it to keep old cars on the road.

Hi Luke

You’re sure its not just the exhaust’s heat shield? Mine rattles a lot on long tight left bends.

Also, check the rear upper shock mountains for a tare. Before I had new suspension, I had to leave off the one of the rear upper shock mount covers. The top of the shock absorber was knocking against it while my Uno settling.

– Prozack – NOOOOOOOO – I’d like to ;) Edit: I’d better watch my lip lol :) .

Kind Regards,

Last edited:
Seems unusual for the right-side CV joint to fail (in RHD countries, you always do a U-turn to the right, so the left side joint seems to wear out first!)

As for slackness in the driveshaft, that's normal up to a point.

Anyway the parts are not that expensive, 2nd-hand would probably be OK (preferably taken from the RH side), and you can pay someone else to replace it if you have to, because it doesn't take long with the car on a hoist, with air-gun etc. ;)

I agree with Sterryroad, bottom ball joint is a common culprit or perhaps wheel bearing, but bottom balljoint would be making a knocking in the steering, and with this (or wheelbearing) you'd be able to detect 'waggle' in the wheel when jacked-up.

CV joints usually make the cracking noise first, when they get worn, during full-lock turns only. Usually the noise comes on very gradually as the car ages. Sudden noise means you're right to investigate the problem!

Thanks,
-Alex

Louie Bee said:
Hi Luke

You’re sure its not just the exhaust’s heat shield? Mine rattles a lot on long tight left bends.

Also, check the rear upper shock mountains for a tare. Before I had new suspension, I had to leave off the one of the rear upper shock mount covers. The top of the shock absorber was knocking against it while my Uno settling.

– Prozack – NOOOOOOOO – I’d like to ;) Edit: I’d better watch my lip lol :) .

Kind Regards,

Hei.

Mine was like this for over a year now. Then the backbox fell off two days ago. No more rattling on left turns. Haha. Straight through pipe is bought to replace the backbox.

Morten.

I know this might sound silly but I had the same problem once because I didnt tighten the wheel nuts properly of the front wheels!! Try tightening them, they might have loosened up!! That's what solved the problem for me (PHEW!!). You wont be missing out on anything!;)

Hope this helps!
Ad

I've had both wheels off and back on again since (so wheelnuts are tight) and the noise persists :( Not totally convinced where the noise is from now tho. I've fixed a number of loose things yesterday but havent driven it since to see if the problem has been rectifcied.

Make sure if the CV joint is worn, don't drive it too much. The 306 at my house had a work one last year and my mate was driving it down a straight road, and his wheel just suddenly turned inward and put him up a pavement. quite unsafe as we know now from experiance. shouldn't take you too long to repair. me and him did it one morning and we are no experts.

Have you checked the wheel bearings? Jack the car up on the side that is making the noise. Grasp the wheel at each side and try and wiggle it. Also do the same at the top and bottom position. If the wheel bearings are worn you'll hear a clicking noise along with feeling some free play. Sometimes retorquing the wheels bearings might help, though bear in mind they are done up to a VERY high torque setting. Something like 200 ft/ lbs, a rating higher than most torque wrenches go up to.

Today i located and fixed the problem thank god!

For those that are interested, the split pins holding the metal wedges that wedge the calipers to the wheel hub had fell off, allowing them to move. These had then came out and were hitting the inside of my wheel causing that noise.

So luckily they didnt break, and i didnt go fork out silly money for parts i didnt need. Although on closer expection it looks like i need new suspension bushes and sterring rack rubber boots.

Back