General Bad news!

Currently reading:
General Bad news!

robjfoster

Got round to changing the breather hose the other day. Is a coffee (milky) like substance on the rubber at the bottoom of the airbox normal?

Anyway I noticed that the litre of oil I had put in two weeks earlier had vanished! Sump and drip tray were covered.

Still having issues with a sqealing aux belt despite replacing the scuttle drain.

In at the garage this morning. Sump corroded and leaking, aux tensioner seized and I was also informed that the head hasket was leaking. he also said a jubilee clip from the rad hose had come off and coolant was well down.

The issues are really stacking against the punto (62000 miles 08 plate) and think it may be the point of no return! certainly it is hard to justify a bill which will prob be close to a grand for a car that is worth that!

Sad day!

Got round to changing the breather hose the other day. Is a coffee (milky) like substance on the rubber at the bottoom of the airbox normal?

Anyway I noticed that the litre of oil I had put in two weeks earlier had vanished! Sump and drip tray were covered.

Still having issues with a sqealing aux belt despite replacing the scuttle drain.

In at the garage this morning. Sump corroded and leaking, aux tensioner seized and I was also informed that the head hasket was leaking. he also said a jubilee clip from the rad hose had come off and coolant was well down.

The issues are really stacking against the punto (62000 miles 08 plate) and think it may be the point of no return! certainly it is hard to justify a bill which will prob be close to a grand for a car that is worth that!

Sad day!

losing OIL and Water..,

how long has it been doing that ?? :eek:

Sad day!

This is where been "car savvy" saves you a pit of money long term....

when i got my first gp in 2006 and my evo in 2010 i had seen about the MK2 sumps rusting away so when it was new i blathered the front edge and bottom with heat proof paint for the cost of about £5.....

the evo i had for 6 years and the sump was still perfect when i part exed it... on its last MOT i was taken into the back room by the tester "look at this" a 2011 evo with the sump off on the ramps which had rotted through ...

with a smirk on his face as he put mine up in the air..... which evaporated when he saw the pristine sump :devil: :devil:

Did the mechanic show you the compression readings for each cylinder?

a small amount of mayo like gunk is normal if you do lots of short trips especially at this time of the year....

if the rad hose had "come off" the coolant wouldnt be well down it would have "all fooked off" as an old mechanic i used to used once explained to a customer

and im sure you would have smelt that amount of coolent leaking or seen it when parked up (very sweet smell)

personally i would get a second opinion before been bent over for the jobs that "need" doing...

yes the oil leak will need sorting as its dangerous to other road users ....

yes the radiator hose probably needs a new clip on it....

yes it might need topping up (do you know how much coolant was in it before you took it into the garage and have you noticed any unusual temperature readings ?)

These kind of things could be discouraging at times but it doesn't hurt to do some pragmatic maths sometimes:
You say your car would cost a grand to buy now (seems a bit low to me).
It will cost another grand to fix everything and get it in tip top condition.
Total value of car after repairs = 2 grand.

Would you be able to get a better car than your repaired one for 2 grand?
Would you be able to sell yours for a grand now in the condition it is?

Decisions, decisions :D

I would fix the sump issue and the hose.
do not do the head gasket as it may not be gone.
You need compression tests on each cylinder, and do a hydrocarbure analisis with one of those test kits like this: COMBUSTION LEAK & BLOCK TESTER KIT - PETROL DIESEL HEAD GASKET & BLOCK FX-53 100ml: Amazon.co.uk: DIY & Tools
Check for block tester on youtube.

If you had been driving around without coolant..then it might be a blown gasket.

Some oil in the air box is ok-ish in this time of year because of short trips, humidity in the air etc.

Last edited:
We park on a relatively long bit of rough ground at the side of our house so a lot of coolant or indeed oil could be spilt and you would not know.

I was at work so only spoke to the mechanic over the phone. I do not have the compression readings but he said it was leaking apparently. Never seen any water in the oil only this coffe coloured stuff around the breather hose (and in it) as well as on the rubber at the bottom of the airbox.

temp readings have always been ok.

New clip on the rad hose and topped up.

As you say it needs a new sump and the aux tensioner is seized - this is linked to the aircon right?

May take it for a second opinion re the head gasket.

£1000 is the price I could get at webuyanycar or if I trade it in (hiding the oil leak obviously).
We are needing a new bigger car but had hoped to put it off as it will be costing us more than £2000!

Depending on the engine replacement sump is easy (was on my 1.2 anyway)

Mayonnaise is common in these engines especially with a leaking pipe. Does your temp gauge go to the middle?

Personally if it was mine I would fix the oil leak, tighten up the rad and put some sealant in it. You do need to replace the tensioner too

Then see how it goes

Back