Technical Bad gearbox noises :(

Currently reading:
Technical Bad gearbox noises :(

chrisb7777

Inline for a good time!
Hi everyone, sorry to start another thread so soon!

In the last couple of days i have been experiencing a loud low pitched rumbling noise coming from the passenger footwell. It is related to road speed not engine speed, it doesnt matter what gear im in or whether the clutch is depressed.
It is audible mostly from 40mph+ however you can faintly hear it at lower speeds.
Turning right makes the noise quieter and left make is much louder!

It is exactly the same noise as you can hear in this video!:

If anyone can help it will be much appreciated! :)

Chris

I hate these noise questions! Nothing ever sounds the same on video clips.

But, my best guess either differential or wheel bearing.

Diff noise (and differential failure) are usually a result of low gearbox oil level, especially on 899s and 1108 S and SX with "wet shaft" driveshafts.

For wheelbearing, jack up car, spinwheel and feel.

I hate these noise questions! Nothing ever sounds the same on video clips.

But, my best guess either differential or wheel bearing.

Diff noise (and differential failure) are usually a result of low gearbox oil level, especially on 899s and 1108 S and SX with "wet shaft" driveshafts.

For wheelbearing, jack up car, spinwheel and feel.

They are difficult! I thought the video would help a little as i didnt know how to explain it :)

I checked the oil level yesturday and it is perfect and still nice and clean

I will check the wheel bearings in a minute, would it be easier with the wheel off to find any faults?
Im hoping it is wheel bearing as i could do that myself!

Thanks!

Wheel bearings seem perfect, no noise when rotating and no play.
Whilst up on the jacks i started the car and revd up in 5th so it was going 40mph. Sitting in the car i could hear the noise like normal, but i couldnt hear the noise on the outside of the car, could it be the rear engine mount?
The mount seems okay but i cant tell for sure.
Thanks!

Drive shaft CV joint?

I have just checked the drivers side cv boot and it is torn in several places! Dont know how i missed it! Could the lack of grease cause this noise? i thought it caused a knocking sound when turning?

Thanks!

Okay so today I jack up each front wheel individually and put it in 5th to see which side the noise was coming from.
It turns out its coming from the passenger side which isn't the one with the torn boot!
I'm pretty sure it's coming to the hub/wheel and not the transmission.
So if turning left and taking the weight off it makes it louder am I right in saying its almost certainly a wheel bearing?

I'm glad it doesn't sound as bad as yours slugworth1987!

Thanks

Chris

Last edited:
Could be worse,you could have had my gear box,3rd,4th and fifth gear decided to fall to pieces on the way to work,ment i had to drive 10 miles there and 15 miles back with 1st and 2nd gears,was slow and noisy,checked my inner cv boots while swapping gearbox ont drive i found i could put my finger through the hole in then,moral of this story,always check your cv boots.

Okay so after some investigation i found the noise was coming from the passenger side wheel. There was no play in the wheel at all but i decided it was almost defineatly the bearing.
I bought a used hub and fitted it yesterday. Took me 3 hours due to trouble separating the ball joint!
The reason it was making all the noise was because it had totally dried up! This explains why it didnt have any play but it would have eventually collapsed!
Does anyone know what could have cause the bearing to dry up? Im just approaching 70k now.
Anyway at least its all sorted now :D

Thanks for all your help!

Chris

Back