General Aux belt Tensioner Mounting Bolt Torque? (Air con model)

Currently reading:
General Aux belt Tensioner Mounting Bolt Torque? (Air con model)

u33db

Hello,

Going to be doing the cambelt on my 1.2 this weekend and will be replacing the aux belt tensioner as well while i'm in there (and crank pully, waterpump etc!)

By any chance does anyone have the torque spec for the mounting bolt?

Its this tensioner on the air con models - this one;

Attachments

• Fiat_500_belt_tensioner_torque.jpg
    Fiat_500_belt_tensioner_torque.jpg
    104.2 KB · Views: 48
Hello,

Going to be doing the cambelt on my 1.2 this weekend and will be replacing the aux belt tensioner as well while i'm in there (and crank pully, waterpump etc!)

By any chance does anyone have the torque spec for the mounting bolt?

Its this tensioner on the air con models - this one;

I've done the cam belt on several of these engines over the years, Pandas and a Punto, Getting the bottom bolts out of the block on the front of the engine that the mount bolts too is probably the most awkward task.

I haven't yet had to do one of these spring aux belt tensioners, they do look a bit difficult for access, especially on the Panda, and I would guess it's going to be a case of jacking the engine either up or down for clearance and maybe levering it over a wee bit towards the gearbox side of the car. The bolt looks quite long? I think Baglady did one very recently? Maybe she would like to comment here?

Also I'm puzzling over your mention of the crank pulley. It sounds like you are going to renew it? or have I misunderstood? I've not renewed one on any I've done they looked absolutely fine. By the way, I'm completely with you on the water pump, wouldn't think of doing just a belt on it's own.

Are you going to go the whole locking tool route with the cam belt replacement or are you a "tippex" person?

Hi,

Its actually a Ford Ka i have but same engine and same frame as the 500 so assume there will be similar issues. It does look quite tight but am hopefully that dropping the engine down will allow me to get to it, and possibly cutting an allen key down.

Appreciate the crank pulley isn't required, and neither this tensioner but i got a good deal on the parts to be able to just replace everything...the tensioner was only £25 for a Gates item, and crank pulley was only £35 for Febi.

It'll all be nice and shiny!

I have the locking tool kit left over from my Grande Punto so will use that, it didn't have A/C so didn't have the auto tensioner.

Hope it goes ok this time...

Pics of tensioner;

Did the cambelt/water pump today.

Was all going well until i used my (cheapo) locking kit - the camshaft tool needed the holes elongated slightly and then the pins bent and split off the tensioner tool!

Don't know what the book time is for this job, maybe 2-3 hours? But i've taken 6 due to the above which has annoyed me, considering the same job on my 16v rover 45 is super quick. Even my old corsa vxr was a easy in comparision...probably as it only needed the decent tools you'd have plenty of in the toolbox, instead of cheaping out on amazon baragin specials.

Anyway car runs (ran it briefly as haven't added the coolant yet) so at least thats something. Tensioner can be done another day.

Away for a beer to comiserate...

Last edited:
There have been many reports of the pins breaking on the cheaper kits. Mine is a Bergen branded one - almost certainly made in the far east somewhere I'd guess - and it's done both the Panda and Punto and survived so far! Cam timing tool fitted fine too. The good news is you got there in the end! I wasn't super quick with either of ours and I had a bit of bother with the block on the front of the engine on the Panda due to clearance (lack of) The Punto was easier due to having more room.

Hope you enjoy the beer, enjoy while you can, "silly/old age" tummy problems mean I can't indulge in such simple pleasures any more.

There have been many reports of the pins breaking on the cheaper kits. Mine is a Bergen branded one - almost certainly made in the far east somewhere I'd guess - and it's done both the Panda and Punto and survived so far! Cam timing tool fitted fine too. The good news is you got there in the end! I wasn't super quick with either of ours and I had a bit of bother with the block on the front of the engine on the Panda due to clearance (lack of) The Punto was easier due to having more room.

Hope you enjoy the beer, enjoy while you can, "silly/old age" tummy problems mean I can't indulge in such simple pleasures any more.

Yeah i remember the grand punto i had 4 years ago being a breeze in comparision too...i suppose there is a price for having a smaller car!

Another day on this today;

Filled it up with coolant and started the engine to begin bleeding but the engine didn't sound right with a weird "drumming" sound coming from the belt area.

Took the engine mount off again, engine covers off then started the engine with the jack under the sump...you can see the cambelt moving side to side across the cam pulley? The tensioner was still tightend properly but looked like somethings out of alignment...

Anyway after much messing about i swapped the the tensioner back to the old one with the belt still in situ and started the car. Drumming noise gone!

Have examined the Gates tensioner and it seems faulty...you can wiggle the centre in and out and one of the locking pins for the internal spring has slipped of the casting as you can see here;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3SXjgkbAudU

Obviously broken :(

Have ordered a genuine Fiat/Alfa tensioner now...going by the pictures these are manufactured by Dayco and even come with a nice tab to push the tensioner round by screwdriver unline the Gates/INA one so that'll save messing about with the 2 pin tool. Even the pin holes seem in a better location as well.

OE Fiat (Dayco tensioner) with tab;

Gates Aftermarket tensioner without tab;

Genuine Fiat/Dayco tensioner turned up this morning.

Pics below comparing it to the gates. The genuine one is a lot better design as its easy to spin round due to that extra tab. Also seems to be better bearings quality...it uses Koyo whereas the gates uses BH (chinese?). The holes for the proper tool are further out as well which probably give a more leverage - pics below for anyone interested

Anyway all fitted and car runs.

Took it for a test drive and got 2 light - no engine light but the start stop illuminates along with a triangle with exclamation mark. Not entirely sure what they meant so i bought MultiECuScan and did the Phonic relearn.

Seems to be ok, even tested up to 75/80 so hopefully its job done.

I've done the cam belt on several of these engines over the years, Pandas and a Punto, Getting the bottom bolts out of the block on the front of the engine that the mount bolts too is probably the most awkward task.

I haven't yet had to do one of these spring aux belt tensioners, they do look a bit difficult for access, especially on the Panda, and I would guess it's going to be a case of jacking the engine either up or down for clearance and maybe levering it over a wee bit towards the gearbox side of the car. The bolt looks quite long? I think Baglady did one very recently? Maybe she would like to comment here?

Also I'm puzzling over your mention of the crank pulley. It sounds like you are going to renew it? or have I misunderstood? I've not renewed one on any I've done they looked absolutely fine. By the way, I'm completely with you on the water pump, wouldn't think of doing just a belt on it's own.

Are you going to go the whole locking tool route with the cam belt replacement or are you a "tippex" person?
I’m a bit late to this post as he’s done it now ? but when I did my tensioner (aircon one) I had to jack the engine up a fair bit!! And even then I only just had room!
Incidentally jock I replaced everything on the aux pulley last week
So I got new OEM alternator/tensioner/aircon compressor/ and I’ve replaced the crankshaft pulley! The engine sounds so much better I had a lot of “other” noises going on ….. tensioner …tick tick tick & as it turned out a sort of scraping noise with the alternator ? both just turned 10 so…..

I still have a well it sounds a bit like an old steam train pulling into a station like a chugging sound .. in idle … it may just be me! I can get a bit fanatical with my car
But it’s made me wonder ….. when I changed the crankshaft pulley I saw a load of crap behind like old grit & muck just below the cam belt so I cleaned it out put everything back together and low n behold no chugging noise…. It soon came back though
I’m thinking cam belt … it did get changed jan 2020 just before my engine woes
Some crappy garage I found did it for me as the water pump was leaking NOW I knew nothing back then
Now I’m wondering what parts the changed & what quality? The belt looks ok from what I saw but I’ve bought a dayco kit and shock horror I’m thinking of getting my local garage to fit it … it frightens me a bit as tensioning is required and I’m all ???????!!!
Ps new radiator & fan installed yesterday ?

Incidentally jock I replaced everything on the aux pulley last week
So I got new OEM alternator/tensioner/aircon compressor/ and I’ve replaced the crankshaft pulley! The engine sounds so much better I had a lot of “other” noises going on ….. tensioner …tick tick tick & as it turned out a sort of scraping noise with the alternator ? both just turned 10 so…..

But it’s made me wonder ….. when I changed the crankshaft pulley I saw a load of crap behind like old grit & muck just below the cam belt so I cleaned it out put everything back together and low n behold no chugging noise…. It soon came back though
I’m thinking cam belt … it did get changed jan 2020 just before my engine woes
Some crappy garage I found did it for me as the water pump was leaking NOW I knew nothing back then
Now I’m wondering what parts the changed & what quality? The belt looks ok from what I saw but I’ve bought a dayco kit and shock horror I’m thinking of getting my local garage to fit it … it frightens me a bit as tensioning is required and I’m all ???????!!!
Ps new radiator & fan installed yesterday ?

'evening Baglady, hope all is well with you? Apologies, I can't remember if you've ever told us your name - or name you may be known by, other than Baglady - I'm not trying to encourage you to disclose here if you don't want too.

"Replaced everything on the aux pulley" So did you fit a new alternator and tensioner and aircon compressor and crankshaft pulley? I'm probably misunderstanding you because that would have cost a small fortune.

When we bought Becky she has a small whiney zizing noise which I was convinced was something like the aux belt tensioner or cam belt tensioner or maybe even water pump, I was convinced it was a bearing type noise. It was not a loud noise and the garage agreed it was there but said "they all do that" and refused to do anything about it. Because she was, by quite a long way, the best Panda I'd looked at we went ahead and bought her. Very soon after that I took the aux belt off and ran her with it disconnected but the noise was still there. As there was no record showing her cam belt had been done - she did have a complete stamped up service book though - a wee bit later I changed the cam belt, tensioner and water pump. After removing the engine mount and belt guards but before I removed the old parts I ran the engine with the guards removed and went round the components with my long screwdriver stuck in my ear and it was obvious that the water pump was a wee bit noisy so I thought "That's the source of the whiney, zizing noise then"!

After I'd built her back together with her new belt, pump, tensioner etc, I ran her again with the guards off just to make sure all was Ok before putting the guards back on and, damn it, the noise was still there but not so loud. I broke out my automotive stethoscope and went round all the components - water pump, tensioner, etc, etc, and couldn't hear the noise anywhere although, when I took the stethoscope earpieces out I could hear it no bother. Double checked the water pump with the stethoscope, but definitely quiet now with the new pump fitted. The old pump was a bit "gritty" when spun by hand. So next I got my "listening tube" and stuck it in my left ear and went all round the components again listening for it. You have to be very careful when doing this not to get the "business" end tangled up in the belt and sprockets! When ever I went near the tensioner I could faintly hear the noise and I was beginning to think I'd got a slightly duff tensioner when it dawned on me that as I withdrew the end of the listening tube the noise momentarily got louder? So I went back in with the end of the tube and started moving it around that area until I narrowed it down. The noise was/is loudest if you hover the end of the tube over where the belt feeds into the cam sprocket, right where the belt's teeth engage with the sprocket teeth. I investigated this for several minutes and I'm in absolutely no doubt that there's some sort of quiet "siren" effect being produced by the belt teeth as they engage with the cam pulley. She's still doing it exactly the same today, that's a couple of years on. I've listened to others with this engine and some do it and some don't! My boy's Punto, for instance does it so quietly you can only hear it if you really know what you're listening for - he doesn't hear it. It annoys me slightly and when I next do a belt on her I'm going to fit a genuine Fiat belt rather than a Gates (my preferred brand) just to see if it makes any difference.

When I did Becky's cam belt and also, but not so much, on my boy's Punto, there was a fair collection of detritus around that bottom cam belt pulley/sprocket (I tend to think of a "V" or "Multi V" belt running on a Pulley but a toothed belt running on a sprocket?) Here's a pic I took of Becky's at the time:

P1070239.JPG

I think that this belt was the original and that would seem to be supported by the small cracks you can see in this picture but also notice that the teeth of the belt are not a snug fit to the teeth of the sprocket - albeit I had slackened the tensioner before I snapped this pic, but you can still see there is clearance on the sides of the teeth which will have worked wonders for the cam timing?

Doing your first cam belt is quite a stressful experience, especially if your engine is the interference type - which, being a 500, it will be? Have you read Andy Monty's guide in the Punto section? It gives you absolute chapter and verse on doing one. You'll need to look at the add on he did for the VVT pulley. If at all "nervous" about doing it I wouldn't try to talk you into it though. Have you discovered a "nice wee garage" yet? Just maybe they would let you watch - and maybe not.

I think you told us previously where you are, but I've forgotten - surprise surprise! - If one of our more able members is somewhere near you maybe they could help if you want to give it a go?

Whatever you decide, good luck! and I'm sure you'll keep us up to date as you have previously.

I also noticed a weird noise when i ran the engine with the faulty gates tensioner and it sounded a bit steam train-esque, kinda like the sound you get when walking over a lino floor with rubber soles on and its tempo would rise/fall with rpm.

I actually thought it was the cambelt moving across the pulley and therefore "riding" the edge of the waterpump sproket at certain points but am unsure.

I still notice it slightly with the dayco tensioner but you really need to listen for it now and barely so...maybe as you say its just a feature of these engines?

Yeah the place I got mine done at charged me 200 all in I bet they used the cheapo gates! In fact I’d bet my life on it! It does sound like a train!!!!! It’s the only way I can describe the noise!

'evening Baglady, hope all is well with you? Apologies, I can't remember if you've ever told us your name - or name you may be known by, other than Baglady - I'm not trying to encourage you to disclose here if you don't want too.

"Replaced everything on the aux pulley" So did you fit a new alternator and tensioner and aircon compressor and crankshaft pulley? I'm probably misunderstanding you because that would have cost a small fortune.

When we bought Becky she has a small whiney zizing noise which I was convinced was something like the aux belt tensioner or cam belt tensioner or maybe even water pump, I was convinced it was a bearing type noise. It was not a loud noise and the garage agreed it was there but said "they all do that" and refused to do anything about it. Because she was, by quite a long way, the best Panda I'd looked at we went ahead and bought her. Very soon after that I took the aux belt off and ran her with it disconnected but the noise was still there. As there was no record showing her cam belt had been done - she did have a complete stamped up service book though - a wee bit later I changed the cam belt, tensioner and water pump. After removing the engine mount and belt guards but before I removed the old parts I ran the engine with the guards removed and went round the components with my long screwdriver stuck in my ear and it was obvious that the water pump was a wee bit noisy so I thought "That's the source of the whiney, zizing noise then"!

After I'd built her back together with her new belt, pump, tensioner etc, I ran her again with the guards off just to make sure all was Ok before putting the guards back on and, damn it, the noise was still there but not so loud. I broke out my automotive stethoscope and went round all the components - water pump, tensioner, etc, etc, and couldn't hear the noise anywhere although, when I took the stethoscope earpieces out I could hear it no bother. Double checked the water pump with the stethoscope, but definitely quiet now with the new pump fitted. The old pump was a bit "gritty" when spun by hand. So next I got my "listening tube" and stuck it in my left ear and went all round the components again listening for it. You have to be very careful when doing this not to get the "business" end tangled up in the belt and sprockets! When ever I went near the tensioner I could faintly hear the noise and I was beginning to think I'd got a slightly duff tensioner when it dawned on me that as I withdrew the end of the listening tube the noise momentarily got louder? So I went back in with the end of the tube and started moving it around that area until I narrowed it down. The noise was/is loudest if you hover the end of the tube over where the belt feeds into the cam sprocket, right where the belt's teeth engage with the sprocket teeth. I investigated this for several minutes and I'm in absolutely no doubt that there's some sort of quiet "siren" effect being produced by the belt teeth as they engage with the cam pulley. She's still doing it exactly the same today, that's a couple of years on. I've listened to others with this engine and some do it and some don't! My boy's Punto, for instance does it so quietly you can only hear it if you really know what you're listening for - he doesn't hear it. It annoys me slightly and when I next do a belt on her I'm going to fit a genuine Fiat belt rather than a Gates (my preferred brand) just to see if it makes any difference.

When I did Becky's cam belt and also, but not so much, on my boy's Punto, there was a fair collection of detritus around that bottom cam belt pulley/sprocket (I tend to think of a "V" or "Multi V" belt running on a Pulley but a toothed belt running on a sprocket?) Here's a pic I took of Becky's at the time:

View attachment 217993

I think that this belt was the original and that would seem to be supported by the small cracks you can see in this picture but also notice that the teeth of the belt are not a snug fit to the teeth of the sprocket - albeit I had slackened the tensioner before I snapped this pic, but you can still see there is clearance on the sides of the teeth which will have worked wonders for the cam timing?

Doing your first cam belt is quite a stressful experience, especially if your engine is the interference type - which, being a 500, it will be? Have you read Andy Monty's guide in the Punto section? It gives you absolute chapter and verse on doing one. You'll need to look at the add on he did for the VVT pulley. If at all "nervous" about doing it I wouldn't try to talk you into it though. Have you discovered a "nice wee garage" yet? Just maybe they would let you watch - and maybe not.

I think you told us previously where you are, but I've forgotten - surprise surprise! - If one of our more able members is somewhere near you maybe they could help if you want to give it a go?

Whatever you decide, good luck! and I'm sure you'll keep us up to date as you have previously.
I just typed you a long LONG message and the site chucked me out ? BUGGER!!!
Anyway I’ve taken on board your advise thanks jock I’ll have a good look into it and if it’s a NO I’ll get it in! I’m definitely thinking tensioner or belt!
And my sprocket looked just like your daughters…. Filthy & gritty!
By the way it’s Chris ?

'evening u33db. I was looking with great interest, and disappointment, at your tensioner problem. Gates have always had a good reputation for quality product I've used their kits for years, never had a problem and I would go out of my way to source that brand, so I was very disappointing to see the problem you've had here. However I suppose any maker can have a "one off" and I'm just hoping that's what you've experienced because I'd be very sad if it's an indication that their standards are slipping.

As regards the noise, there seems to be no telling. There's a Panda which lives next door to my pal - driven by an elderly lady who is prone to slipping her clutch and holding medium high revs (maybe around 3,000?) on the engine as she slowly pulls into, or out of, her parking space - makes me cringe! It's the noisiest one I know off with this "whiney" noise but there's also a small blue Ka - same engine of course - which I see regularly which makes a very similar, but not so loud, noise, very similar in volume to Becky. However there's a dark red Panda which lives down the road I walk down when heading to the harbour and it makes no detectable noises at all? I've no idea why some do and some don't unless it's down to the individual belt manufacturer? Which is why I fancy trying a genuine Fiat one next.

Hi Chris! That sounds so much better than "Baglady" doesn't it? Becky is our Panda - sad but true - not my lovely daughter, and is primarily Mrs J's car (which I love driving so "pinch" off her as often as I can!)

Baglady, perhaps, holds strange memories for me. Way back in the '70's when I tried my hand at car sales, I was having a bit of a quiet day in the showroom (DAF Cars) when a late middle aged lady came in. She didn't look a likely "prospect" at all. Old and ill fitting clothes dominated by a large baggy cardigan and she was carrying a quite large embroidered bag, Her personal hygiene was not quite up to the mark either "Can I look at that one son" she said pointing at a new DAF 33 which was parked near my desk. "Of course" I said and started to show the car to her. We got to the point where she was sitting in the drivers seat when a younger couple - maybe late 20's early 30's - came in and started looking at a DAF 66 (might have been a 55?). They looked a far better bet and looking at a car I could earn more commission on too, maybe even sell them a Ziebart, paint protection or upholstery treatment too? I politely disengaged from the elderly lady and took on the young couple. Half an hour of wasted time it was, No sale and I couldn't even get any follow up details for my sales sheet! (boss was hot on that).

So I went back to my desk and the elderly lady who was still sitting "playing" in the 33 with the sales brochure I'd given her. "Young man, do you have one in this colour" she said pointing to the colour chart in the brochure, " and will this be enough" she said opening the bag which was stuffed with cash! By golly I learned a lot about assessing people during the 5 years I did car sales!

Last edited:
Hi Chris! That sounds so much better than "Baglady" doesn't it? Becky is our Panda - sad but true - not my lovely daughter, and is primarily Mrs J's car (which I love driving so "pinch" off her as often as I can!)

Baglady, perhaps, holds strange memories for me. Way back in the '70's when I tried my hand at car sales, I was having a bit of a quiet day in the showroom (DAF Cars) when a late middle aged lady came in. She didn't look a likely "prospect" at all. Old and ill fitting clothes dominated by a large baggy cardigan and she was carrying a quite large embroidered bag, Her personal hygiene was not quite up to the mark either "Can I look at that one son" she said pointing at a new DAF 33 which was parked near my desk. "Of course" I said and started to show the car to her. We got to the point where she was sitting in the drivers seat when a younger couple - maybe late 20's early 30's - came in and started looking at a DAF 66 (might have been a 55?). They looked a far better bet and looking at a car I could earn more commission on too, maybe even sell them a Ziebart, paint protection or upholstery treatment too? I politely disengaged from the elderly lady and took on the young couple. Half an hour of wasted time it was, No sale and I couldn't even get any follow up details for my sales sheet! (boss was hot on that).

So I went back to my desk and the elderly lady who was still sitting "playing" in the 33 with the sales brochure I'd given her. "Young man, do you have one in this colour" she said pointing to the colour chart in the brochure, " and will this be enough" she said opening the bag which was stuffed with cash! By golly I learned a lot about assessing people during the 5 years I did car sales!
Haha oh jock …..
I think you have described me in one sentence ?? though I do look after my personal hygiene ? and as it happens I do have an embroidered handbag too!!!!

Baglady was so named by my friends as I used to buy a lot of handbags ? but it also resembles a “bag lady” we used to have one in our area god bless her! Always had a fag in her hand .. used to scare me as a child but as I grew I saw her differently she was kind and rather generous with her knowledge on life! Sadly no longer with us but I’ll always remember her

But yes not the best username… but I kind of think i has some irony ?
I forgot to mention I did in fact replace all those bits I mentioned I got good deals so prob didn’t spend as much as you thought

Back