General Autotrail tracker se fuel gauge

Currently reading:
General Autotrail tracker se fuel gauge

Stevesautotrail

Hello everyone,
This is my first post so here goes.
I have a 2003 autotrail tracker se based on a ducato 2.0 jtd. The fuel gauge is not working. I have changed the sender unit but nothing has changed. My next step was to replace the instrument pod for one that was definitely working. To my astonishment it still didn't work so I assumed it is something other than the gauge at fault. I was advised to disconnect the battery and reconnect it after half an hour to see if it reset a relay or something. That didn't work so now I'm at a loss. Help!!
Thankyou in anticipation

Hello everyone,
This is my first post so here goes.
I have a 2003 autotrail tracker se based on a ducato 2.0 jtd. The fuel gauge is not working. I have changed the sender unit but nothing has changed. My next step was to replace the instrument pod for one that was definitely working. To my astonishment it still didn't work so I assumed it is something other than the gauge at fault. I was advised to disconnect the battery and reconnect it after half an hour to see if it reset a relay or something. That didn't work so now I'm at a loss. Help!!
Thankyou in anticipation
It may help if you quote the model number of the Ducato, by posting the first three numbers of the VIN, which will be either 230, or 244. The x244 is described as a facelifted version of the earlier x230, but the wiring was included in the facelift, as was the operation of the instrument panel, which is electronic in the x244, but has mechanical rpm, and speedo drives in the x230.

It may help if you quote the model number of the Ducato, by posting the first three numbers of the VIN, which will be either 230, or 244. The x244 is described as a facelifted version of the earlier x230, but the wiring was included in the facelift, as was the operation of the instrument panel, which is electronic in the x244, but has mechanical rpm, and speedo drives in the x230.
Thankyou for your reply, It must be the 244 as the instruments, ie the speedo and rev counter are electronic, definitely not mechanical

Steve,
The VIN can be checked in the V5C registration document.
Are you sure of your replacement instrument panel? I ask because a known problem with x244 indications on motorhomes that are not in regular use is sticking stepping motors for the analogue gauges.. The fix is to remove the instrument panel, remove the transparent cover, and gently nudge the offending pointer.

As you have already accessed the lift pump assembly, any vermin damage in that area should have been evident. On my 2006 x244 PVC, which I have owned from new, the wiring to the pump seemed to have draped along the inside front of the LH chassis section as an afterthought. See pictures.

As you have stated that the vehicle is an x244, and you may need to check the wiring, I wll attach my annoted copies of the instrument panel wiring.
If more info is required it can be viewed on line, while the following link and my diagrams specific to the 2.8 jtd, I see no reason for the fuel gauge connections to be different. Scroll down from wiring diagram, for connector details.

https://4cardata.info/elearn/244/2/244000001/244000003

The colour codes HR and BV stand for Grey/Red, and White/Violet respectively.

Attachments

• Fuel Pump Cable Old Route.jpg
    Fuel Pump Cable Old Route.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 20
  • Fuel Pump Cable New Route.jpg
    Fuel Pump Cable New Route.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 23
  • eLearn E4010-1 Instrument Panel.pdf
    81.3 KB · Views: 30
  • eLearn E4010-2 Instrument Panel.pdf
    133.2 KB · Views: 36
  • Fiat Wiring Colour Codes.pdf
    70.1 KB · Views: 35
Steve,
The VIN can be checked in the V5C registration document.
Are you sure of your replacement instrument panel? I ask because a known problem with x244 indications on motorhomes that are not in regular use is sticking stepping motors for the analogue gauges.. The fix is to remove the instrument panel, remove the transparent cover, and gently nudge the offending pointer.

As you have already accessed the lift pump assembly, any vermin damage in that area should have been evident. On my 2006 x244 PVC, which I have owned from new, the wiring to the pump seemed to have draped along the inside front of the LH chassis section as an afterthought. See pictures.

As you have stated that the vehicle is an x244, and you may need to check the wiring, I wll attach my annoted copies of the instrument panel wiring.
If more info is required it can be viewed on line, while the following link and my diagrams specific to the 2.8 jtd, I see no reason for the fuel gauge connections to be different. Scroll down from wiring diagram, for connector details.

https://4cardata.info/elearn/244/2/244000001/244000003

The colour codes HR and BV stand for Grey/Red, and White/Violet respectively.
Communicator, I've checked the VIN and as I thought it is a 244.I know the instrument pod I tried works as we put it into my friends van and it worked so I don't think it's the pod on mine but something different. Thanks for the info about the stepping motors, I've now tried that........ Still the same🙁. Do you know if there might be a fuse somewhere that might be blown? I can see that the "cure" is going to be a piece of black tape to block the warning light and a regular, 200 mile fuel top up!!! Once again, thanks for the info.

Communicator, I've checked the VIN and as I thought it is a 244.I know the instrument pod I tried works as we put it into my friends van and it worked so I don't think it's the pod on mine but something different. Thanks for the info about the stepping motors, I've now tried that........ Still the same🙁. Do you know if there might be a fuse somewhere that might be blown? I can see that the "cure" is going to be a piece of black tape to block the warning light and a regular, 200 mile fuel top up!!! Once again, thanks for the info.
If you look at the RHS of the previously atached diagram E4010 - 2, you will see the LH Cab fusebox, B002. Fuse F53 seems to be the only supply to the analogue section of the instrument panel, which is shown on that drawing. If F53 was at fault, I would expect the loss of all analogue indications.

To take the investigation further, I can only repeat the suggestion made by @jackwhoo, "Check the wiring.". A "simple" test woud be to unplug at the tank and connector "D" at the instrument panel, make a short between the relevant connecter pins at one end, and check for continuity at the other end.

The connector at the tank is obvious, while those at the instrument panel seem to run alphabetically. Checking wire colours will confirm the connector.
See here for connector D wiring. Also see attached my colour code translation chart.

Attachments

• Fiat Wiring Colour Codes.pdf
    70.1 KB · Views: 37
Back