Automatic Licence Rip Off!

Currently reading:
Automatic Licence Rip Off!

Geri

Is this allowed??

I took out my insurance a few weeks ago, and the payments are £106.00 per month (ouch). I went through compare the market, so all my details were filled out on there.

When they ask you what type of licence you hold, the options are 'Full UK', 'Provisional UK', or 'EU'.

My licence is for automatics, its certainly not provisional or an EU licence, so I secelted 'Full UK'

I took out the insurance no probs. Then today I got an email talking about a discrepancy with my licence, and I had to scan them a copy of my card and counterpart, which I did - and they have now added another £20.00 per month on to my payments!!!! (n)

(My car is an automatic obviously)

My point is, what the hell difference does that make? Also, I was made to feel like I'd lied to them.

OK I'm done ranting!

Full UK is exactly that, giving you full entitlements to drive any car under 3.5 tonnes (or is it 2.5?).

You don't have a full licence, so shouldn't have selected it. If it didn't let you pick what you needed, had to asume that they don't want to insure you.

If in doubt...pick up the phone.

Could be worse, you could have needed to make a claim, and then for them to say jog on as you picked the wrong one.

Wouldnt be admin fee if its increased £20 for every month (£126 rather than £106).
If anything I would have thought it would reduce or have no impact on the policy.
Call them up and check, if it was within the last 7 days you should still have the right to cancel. They may undo it to keep your custom or else give you the option to seek another policy with a lesson noted.

Full UK is exactly that, giving you full entitlements to drive any car under 3.5 tonnes (or is it 2.5?).

You don't have a full licence, so shouldn't have selected it. If it didn't let you pick what you needed, had to asume that they don't want to insure you.

If the OP says they have a full UK licence, then that's what they have, all full licences contain a list of vehicles you are authorised to drive on that licence, in this case, it would show B auto instead of just B.
If the OP had passed their test on a motorbike only, they would still hold a full UK licence but it would show cat A1 or A for motorbikes only.
You could hold a full licence but only be allowed to drive electric vehicles (cat L), but you could still enter 'full' on the insurance policy.

You are either learning (provisional) or passed (full), there is no inbetween state, or even anything above for those who are advanced or police or HGV, PCV etc

i would wright to the insurance ombudsman ( if there is one) some people only have 1 leg so only need an auto licence so charging more could be illegal under the Disability and the Equality Act 2010

Although I'd like to agree with you Dave, if stats state that Automatic drivers are a higher risk then they can charge more, equality act or not (n)

OP, An automatic lisence is still classable as a full UK lisence, just with a restriction on it (the code 78 on the reverse). As has been mentioned, I'd dispute this, and contact said insurance companies complaints dept, and failing that the ombidmun (sp?).

So go on, who's the actual insurance provider. Name and shame :p

Loads of food for thought there - thanks! I definately don't think it's fair - stats or no stats. I was always under the impression that auto drivers were considered safer as both of your hands are on the wheel all the time. I will fire off a letter to the insurance company and the ombudsman - beats doing work! (y)

It's admiral! Can I also add that they quoted me £925.00 on Compare the market, which means I am putting more than £400.00 straigt in their pockets anyway through the finance charges! Wounded.

If in doubt...pick up the phone.

Could be worse, you could have needed to make a claim, and then for them to say jog on as you picked the wrong one.

I have an automatic only licence. When ringing around insurers that do not show "FULL AUTO UK" in the box they have told me providing I AM driving an automatic car to chose "FULL UK LICENCE". I would not have to pay any more they said. Although I went with someone else who was cheaper.

I would argue the point to them, you're licenced to drive the car you are being insured to drive, the car hasn't changed therefore neither should the price.

I'd bang on about discrimination etc. They can't get away with the offering discounts based on sex anymore so I can't see how they would get away with something like this lol.

In a lot of Europe they insure the car rather than the person, so anyone can drive the car providing it has insurance. A far better system IMO.

I would argue the point to them, you're licenced to drive the car you are being insured to drive, the car hasn't changed therefore neither should the price.

I'd bang on about discrimination etc. They can't get away with the offering discounts based on sex anymore so I can't see how they would get away with something like this lol.

In a lot of Europe they insure the car rather than the person, so anyone can drive the car providing it has insurance. A far better system IMO.

its not the same

you cant choose your sex
excluding disabilities,you can choose to drive an auto.
I would fire through a fake auto/manual quote on their site for comparison

I'm surprised by this, if I had an automatic licence I would probably have just thought that it counts as Full UK? Not sure if I've ever seen an insurance site with "automatic license" as an option?

I'm surprised by this, if I had an automatic licence I would probably have just thought that it counts as Full UK? Not sure if I've ever seen an insurance site with "automatic license" as an option?

It does, you are either learning (provisional) or have passed (full).
If the case is that insurance goes up simply because your licence is auto only then you are being discriminated against.

If the case is that insurance goes up simply because your licence is auto only then you are being discriminated against.

Not strictly true - don't forget the implications of having to provide an auto courtesy car etc. It's all extra costs.

But obviously if a courtesy car wasn't selected etc it might need to be looked at reasonings.

Not strictly true - don't forget the implications of having to provide an auto courtesy car etc. It's all extra costs.

But obviously if a courtesy car wasn't selected etc it might need to be looked at reasonings.

implications? Just looked on thrifty and for 1 week, an auto golf (standard size) or Vox Insignia (full size) is only £50 dearer for 1 week's hire, so for the mount of money insurers make, they could take a hit - in any case, they will know if the driver is a risk based on their driving history. A few recent claims will put up their premiums anyway whereas loads of claim free years means they probably wouldn't have to pay out for a rental anyway.
Even if they don't want to take the hit, they could insist on the driver paying a little extra voluntary excess.

Back