Audi and BMW

Currently reading:
Audi and BMW

french bean

Bye Stilo, Hello Doblo
I was sat at the traffic lights next to the Audi dealer in Leicester when one of their Road side assistance vehicles pulled out. That got me thinking.

Both BMW and Audi have their own roadside assistance vehicles paid for by the manufacturer. That to me is like a big neon sign saying 'I have reliability issues'

Lets face it everyone else relies on the AA or RAC but these two have their own vehicles. Is it because they want to provide exemplary service? Don't think so because that set up costs a lot of money. No, I think it's because they want to protect their brand image and there would be nothing worse than independant surveys being published that show the number of call outs by brand carried out by the roadside assistance companies. This way, they can keep it under wraps.

Anyway, it would make me feel that their reliability is not as good as they make out. Anyway, I already believe through personal experience that VAG reliabilty is poor and so far every Italian car I have owned has proved to be stronger and more reliable. I am biased by the way.

I think it's more of a personal thing. Looking after their customers in every aspect of their motoring. Similar to offering the finance, insurance etc direct from themselves also. Don't forget roadside assistance companies aren't just there for reliability issues. They also provide services that me and you may seem as simple tasks such as changing a puncture or replacing a wheel that has been damaged by a pot hole etc. some people struggle to carry out these tasks.

Having their own roadside assistance department isn't an admittance that their cars are rubbish and break down all the time. I think it's more of a "we'll look after you in everyway" thing. My girlfriend has had her 1 series for 4 years now and all we've had to do is change tyres and service it. It's been the most reliable car outside my current Honda civic we've had.

Last edited:
I had a t**t is a Z4 today sitting at 30mph on a dual carriageway (60mph limit zone) in the outside lane. I came along at 50mph and pulled out behind him fully expecting him to pull back to the LHS to let me overtake rather than have to undertake him. By the way we are the only two on the road.

Anyway he took offence at me wanting to overtake so slowed down to 25mph and cruised along to the end of the dual to a mini roundabout. On the round about he floored it, lost the back end and spun 180'.

I pissed myself laughing and blew him a kiss as I drive around him and onwards on my journey. Struck me as looking a bit like out in daddies car or arrogant football player sort.

Last edited:
The lorry company Isuzu have their own breakdown service for when they breakdown, not because they are crap, but as a selling point.

Could say the same about Kia with their 7 year warranty, are they expecting them to break every 5,000 miles, rather than try and sort it out, they offer this?

On the other hand, my 15 year old 5 series is the most reliable car I've had so far, that said, I've only owned it for 2 months :LOL:.

I think you are focusing on the wrong manufacturers... Especially BMW* ;)

This lot need to be made an example of bigtime, The Ones You Ought To Avoid. Never have I seen a manufacturer produce such bland rubbish in recent years, only to be riddled with problems left right and centre, then have the cheek to replace the faulty parts without saying a word... A woman had her car in for a service, ended up with a new engine on the hush hush!!! When I find the link to the article I'll put it up here (y)

*Statement from a very biased BMW owner :p

Last edited:
Speaking of breakdowns and recalls, this is always good for a read. :)
http://www.dft.gov.uk/vosa/apps/recalls/default.asp?tx=VOSA

The one's manufactures forget to tell you about, :rolleyes:

I've always found Fiat good about their recalls (as well as Toyota), can't reall y comment about too many other manufactures as we've not had their cars, but I'm aware of peugeot a decade ago lying through their teeth about a recall on the 307, faulty ignition barrel, will only prevent you from taking the steering lock off when starting the car, where as in reality what it was doing, and they knew this, was sticking in the start possition and not springing back, and these pugs were going up in flames left right and centre as the starter motors were jamming on and overheating (n)

Also you have to factor in the fact that BMW/Audi/VW have a big share in the commercial Lease market...........

Its far more cost effective for them to have their own recovery truck not just to pick up the car when it dies but to deliver brand new lease cars and collect the cars at the end of the agreement collecting the car for servicing and drop a courtesy car... Without the risk of having the garage employees been accused of thrashing the clients car or curbing the alloys...

Deep down, I know that they do it to gain competitive advantage in a premium market, especially when competing against Lexus whose reputation is second to none. I just felt like a bit of mischief making but having said that I still believe that the quality of these two brands in particular is not that much better than the likes of Fiat or Ford. It certainly does not warrant such a price difference. As I 've said before, the quality of the cabin materials are higher but not the build quality. Fiat use the same suppliers as VAG - Seats are made by Lear, Fuel injection and ABS systems are Bosch, the brakes are Girling or ATE, so it begs the question - what are people paying for?

Back