Technical any one can just tell me what the lights switch does

Currently reading:
Technical any one can just tell me what the lights switch does

kikbak66

Re: x1/9 owners club...

any one can just tell me what the lights switch does or operation in first and then second position (lights up, on, back down) would be brill.. think I have it sorted and repaired the switch inside, just want to make sure its correct and as it should be....... (y)

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: x1/9 owners club...

Hi,

The first click on the light switch should raise the headlight pods & turn on the sidelights.
Second click gives you headlight beams....

though some people have modified it so that the pods stay down when on sidelights only, which I think looks neater ... wish I knew more about electrics !

Hope this helps.

Cheers.

S. :)

...also not forgetting that if in the side lights position 1 and the ignition is turned off, then the pods lower and side lights stay on. However, in the main beam position 2, if the ignition is turned off the light all go out and the pods remain up (ideal for cleaning) :p

Last edited:
cheers guys........... (y) That helps a lot, as from me getting the car that sequence didn't happen, thats why I was comfused as to what is happening and what should happen.

Its like this, in first position I get side lights, main light lift and dip,,,, and in second position nothing more. but when in first position and ignition off the light go off and the main lights drop, and when you switch ignition on in the first position the lights lift, but never drop with the switch.

Any way its back to the drawing board...... "cus she just an't right" :confused:

The main light lift and "dip" as you say might be just be the dim-dip system that is fitted to UK cars. The headlights are powered via a resistor when the side lights are on, so that they just glow dimly. Your true dipped headlights seem to be non-working. Could be bad earths or wiring, blown fuses or burnt switch contacts.

The headlight pod wiring is complex - it is designed to allow you to leave the pods up with power off to maintain the headlights (you don't want to have a pod go down with your fingers in the way - ask me how I know). That's why with the right combination of light switch and ignition switch positions the pods can be made to stay up.

Cheers R

Back