General Any advice?

Currently reading:
General Any advice?

JohnJay

Looking at purchasing 2012 fiat 500L with 170,000kms Looks good! Seems all in order. Never have owned one but have admired since the original 500's. Any advice?

Last edited:
I don't hear too many horror stories, although at that mileage it potentially has a lot of bills coming up.
  • Check what's happened to the clutch. It may have been changed by 170k or it might be waiting for you to do it.
  • Also have a look at the suspension arms and dampers. As above, that mileage is in the replacement window.
  • Brakes (discs and pads) as above..
  • Exhaust as above..
    • But I wouldn't not buy a good car just because the brakes/exhaust look a bit shonky.. just don't pay "pristine" money for a car that needs these replacing soon.
  • Check everything electrical works.. not because it can pack up (it can pack up anytime, not just at 170k) but fixing is potentially expensive
  • If it's a diesel.. it shouldn't smoke at all.
  • Service history is a good sign... cam-belt and water pump are simple but relatively expensive to change, so recently done is better than "no idea when it was done".
Otherwise it's the usual have a metaphorical sniff of the car to see whether it looks/feels cared for. Oil should be good-dirty and filled up to 80% on the dipstick.. brake fluid should be the colour of a fair maiden's hair... screen wash should be blue and clear.. the coolant (and the bottle) should be pink and clean, not brown or muddy, or look like someone cooked vegetable soup in it.

Look for battle damage, inside and out (500L = the chariot of the Demons of Destruction aka kids) so you might find melted chocolate, if it is chocolate.. :sick: under the seats etc. and the door edges could be "mildly chipped" (i.e. smashed into the car parked next to it whenever the kids got in and out). Make sure the paint is all the same colour and the tyre wear is uniform (e.g. no frayed edges on any of them).

Radiatore may be shot to bits from road rash.. so have a peep through the air intake in the bumper to gauge how knackered it is. Again.. if the price/car is otherwise good, radiatore shouldn't put you off.

Ralf S.

I don't hear too many horror stories, although at that mileage it potentially has a lot of bills coming up.
  • Check what's happened to the clutch. It may have been changed by 170k or it might be waiting for you to do it.
  • Also have a look at the suspension arms and dampers. As above, that mileage is in the replacement window.
  • Brakes (discs and pads) as above..
  • Exhaust as above..
    • But I wouldn't not buy a good car just because the brakes/exhaust look a bit shonky.. just don't pay "pristine" money for a car that needs these replacing soon.
  • Check everything electrical works.. not because it can pack up (it can pack up anytime, not just at 170k) but fixing is potentially expensive
  • If it's a diesel.. it shouldn't smoke at all.
  • Service history is a good sign... cam-belt and water pump are simple but relatively expensive to change, so recently done is better than "no idea when it was done".
Otherwise it's the usual have a metaphorical sniff of the car to see whether it looks/feels cared for. Oil should be good-dirty and filled up to 80% on the dipstick.. brake fluid should be the colour of a fair maiden's hair... screen wash should be blue and clear.. the coolant (and the bottle) should be pink and clean, not brown or muddy, or look like someone cooked vegetable soup in it.

Look for battle damage, inside and out (500L = the chariot of the Demons of Destruction aka kids) so you might find melted chocolate, if it is chocolate.. :sick: under the seats etc. and the door edges could be "mildly chipped" (i.e. smashed into the car parked next to it whenever the kids got in and out). Make sure the paint is all the same colour and the tyre wear is uniform (e.g. no frayed edges on any of them).

Radiatore may be shot to bits from road rash.. so have a peep through the air intake in the bumper to gauge how knackered it is. Again.. if the price/car is otherwise good, radiatore shouldn't put you off.

Ralf S.
Thanks very much Ralph, Your information is well appreciated and respected. I hope to look the car over in the next couple of days. Thanks again. Have a wonderful day. I'll keep you posted. Respectfully, John, Fatima & Family

Back