Any advice - insurers have declared writeoff

Currently reading:
Any advice - insurers have declared writeoff

B

bellaitalia

I'm in misery. Over 2 weeks ago a taxi driver drove into my precious (if ancient) Bravo whilst I was stationery at a pelican crossing. I've had her 10 years and she has been my escape. I'm really stressed by the accident. I naively thought the insurers would work in my best interest - but I've found dealing with them very difficult.They did a repair assessment and have written her off -category B. They are telling me I can't have the car back. I found this BOO website after the accident - wish I'd found it before! Its a silver (grigio) Bravo SX 80 16V 1242. The taxi car has damaged my rear bumper, dented boot floor and rendered the boot unlockable - but other than that no severe damage. I've spent hundreds on it over the years - just added a new exhaust last month. Of course I'm being offered a miserly amount for it (I'm fully comp) but now wondering if it is worth putting up a fight or not. The engine/bodywork are good. At least I could sell it for spares or even get it scrapped myself. Any suggestions? I'm so stressed I can't think!

appeal it an tell them you will repair it just make it a cat c,

Lesson 1. Insurers NEVER operate in any one's best interests except their own.

Lesson 2. You will have to a tooth and nail to get as much for your car as possible. Provide as much evidence to support what you believe it is worth, with in reason, to support your valuation. But honestly you are not going to get £5k for a car that is only worth £400.

Lesson 3. It will be the taxi driver's insurers who will be trying to pay out as little as possible not your own insurer as presumbly the taxi driver was totally at fault unless you haven't give us the full story?

Lesson 4. You were hit from behind. You might have a whiplash or back injury ........... If they muck you around, take them to the cleaners as it were. Liability doesn't seem to be in issue on what you have written.

if the insurers have declared it a catB it is very difficult to get it changed. their rules state that the car has to be crushed and is no longer roadworthy.

as for the accident itself, dispute everything, tell them of the anguish its caused and the great inconvenience of being without a car through no fault of your own. dispute the value of your bravo. they go on book value or identical models for sale at the time they investigate it and look to make you an offer. However each car is different and if you dig around you will be able to find bravos for sale with higher asking prices (even though they probably wont sell for that much). Make sure if you are given an offer for your car do not ever accept the first offer they give you.

As for claiming personal injury, its basically a black marker against your name in times like these with insurers. Its the highest contributing factor why insurance has jumped up 40% per year for the last 3 years for the majority of people. if you claim, then the next time you get insured you have to declare the claim, the value paid out to you etc.... and basically bend over.....