General any 128's ?

Currently reading:
General any 128's ?

With regard to the poor gearchange, I checked out the lolipop today. It looks good with firm rubber.
I will remove the gaiter in the interior tomorrow to see if that reveals anything.

here photos as promised
1) rubber 'guard' does it go here ?
2) heater box plenum - looks like it is crying out for a filter ?
Looks like it’s there to protect from water getting on electrics but I’ve never had one on the many 128’s I’ve had
No filter went over the heater intake, being open to the top, and the grills in the bonnet, a filter would soon clog up

the thing is, when I got the car, it was placed onto the ridge just behind the heater box. That made no sense to me so I looked around and found a securing ledge the exact same length as the rubber piece. And as it was right above the coil, I suspected it should be there.
Furthermore, there is no rubber seal all around the bonnet opening (like there is around the boot). I suspect there should be ?

the thing is, when I got the car, it was placed onto the ridge just behind the heater box. That made no sense to me so I looked around and found a securing ledge the exact same length as the rubber piece. And as it was right above the coil, I suspected it should be there.
Furthermore, there is no rubber seal all around the bonnet opening (like there is around the boot). I suspect there should be ?
From what you say I suspect it is an aftermarket mod, much in the way classic mini owners needed to prevent rain getting to the coil and distributor etc. in the past.
Looking at photos of the engine bays on other 128s and similar vehicles of that age I don't think it was standard to put rubber along those edges.
Although many cars had one at the back of the engine compartment to stop engine fumes entering the heater system.

Yes, that’s exactly where the plastic plate used to go, behind heater box, hooked over flange of bonnet aperture , that looks like an aftermarket one to do the same job. Your positioning confused me

so hi guys, here we go again ...................................there is no detent on my car in the UP DOWN plain. In other words, I don't have to press the gearlever down to engage reverse! - it is always in the down position. Perhaps this explains why I am having trouble shifting in other gears?
I can lift it up but of course it just falls down again. Now perhaps I realise why there are two different detent springs sold by (forgot name.com).
Does anyone know where the spring is located? - please don't tell me that it is a gearbox stripdown !

next point is in respect of the crankcase breather. I have now obtained a RTA manual and it seems to show two pipes - one to the air filter of course, but also another to - I am not sure where - perhaps on the bell housing ? Why would that need breathing ?

Back