Technical Another problem with a weekend tailgate

Currently reading:
Technical Another problem with a weekend tailgate

Hi All,
The tailgate on my weekend stopped opening yesterday, the catch feels as if it is locked despite trying to unlock with key and central locking.
I am wondering if the linkage has come adrift from the lock barrel.

Whatever the cause I need to get into the tailgate to open it before I can fix the problem so my question is: Does anyone know if it is possible to remove the interior trim from the tailgate whilst it is shut?

A couple of years ago I removed the trim to sort out the handle which had siezed and I think some of the fixings are only accessible with the tailgate open.
If that is the case I will have to destroy the trim to get to the lock mechanism so my next question is: Anyone out there with a tailgate trim they don't want?

Has the bit you press to open stuck in if it has give it a thump with the side of your fist mine was like this till I followed instructions on here to put a spring on to stop it sticking.

No, I sorted the sticking handle problem a couple of years ago, I took it all apart and opened up the pivot holes a bit so that the handle would never sieze again.
The problem this time is that, when you operate the boot release, the handle just goes up and does nothing, just the same as when it is locked. That is why I think the linkage may have come adrift.

Same happened to me and yes your right when the rear door is shut you can not get the panel off. If i remember right, your unable to access the row of screws at the bottom of the door panel unless it is open. The only way i could open the door was to (i'm affraid to say) be rough and prize/pull the panel at the top near the window to make a gap, then used a torch to look down and use a hooked welding rod (or a straightened Coat hanger hooked at one end) to reach the "door catch rod" and then opened the door. Then i removed the panel fully once the door was open...Repaired as required..Hardly any damage done to panel if you are careful, didn't like to to do it but could not think of any other way. On mine the rod to the actuator had come adrift.... Sounds like the same problem i had

Last edited:
Thanks Clobak, that is what I thought. The way the big top edge of the tailgate trim hooks over the metalwork is the problem as you found out but I will see what I can do.
The worst case scenario is that I will need to either get another trim or (something I have done in the past) get a piece of leathercloth and cover the plastic panel completely. That would make it a bit more luxurious for my dog too!:)

By the way, a friend told me the other day how to tell if your dog or your wife loves you most. Just lock them both in the boot of your car for two hours. When you open it see which one is more pleased to see you!!!

Ha Ha Nice 1......Let us know how you get on with door panel. If your careful and you prize gently you will be able to use it again.( I did break a few clips though) :)

Last edited:
Good news all round. Firstly you CAN get the trim panel off the tailgate with it closed there are just three screws, one in the centre of the hand hold and two behind the red inserts each side at the bottom of the trim. All of the screws face inwards so can be removed. Then the trim is only held by trim clips so it is just a matter of pulling it off.

The problem turned out to be that the lock mechanism was loose and the little fork which moves the barrel from lock to unlock had jumped off the lever it operates. The problem was caused by a small spring clip (the one which pushes on to a shaft just protruding underneath the outer catch) which had popped off. Even better news was that the spring clip had lodged under the outside trim so was still with the car!

All back together now and working a treat.(y)

Back