Technical Another panda

Currently reading:
Technical Another panda

Hi all,

Panda number 2 snapped it’s rear axle on the way to work on Friday. I don’t think it’s worth replacing with only a few months MOT on a 57 plate Multijet.

So I’ve just picked up my third Panda… a 2012 Twin Air… and I’ve a growing list of things to do and looking for some pointers if possible please. It’s not the first Twinair as the Mrs has a Punto TA

1) Coolant flush - tank was full of rust so I’ve removed it to start cleaning. Lots of debris in coolant so rather neglected. I usually walk if coolant not nice and clean but needs must the way things are with the car market at the moment. Don’t think I’ve tackled rusty water since my Uno Turbo days so not sure which additive to use. Not got to the bottom hoses – sucked the coolant out using a feeding tube syringe & it looks like yellow err apple juice. No oil in the water so maybe an Easy one.

2) Engine Oil & Filter & strainer on twinair module (if it’s the same as the TA Punto it’s probably never been done as it’s a Twinair secret). Not spotted the oil filter yet but guess it’s a plastic head with a big hex head. https://www.fiatforum.com/threads/twinair-valve-actuator-oil-filter.454649/ thanks again @Goudrons. Never did find out if there was a strainer on the turbo oil feed line (woops)

3) Air Filter – seen the guide thanks @varesecrazy https://www.fiatforum.com/guides/panda-twinair-enginebay-servicing.823/?full=1 Just like the Punto TA.

4) Sparkplugs again probably same as Punto as I seem to remember doing them as I didn’t know the service history.

5) Pollen Filter – new one for me as I’ve not had aircon in a panda before. Really awkward to get to the spotted this https://www.fiatforum.com/threads/changing-the-pollen-filter-my-easy-way.481366/ thanks @Herts Hillhopper. I’ll have to check if I need a 5.5mm spanner as I don’t think I have one but have a 5.5.. socket so maybe can get on it with the flexible extension like when doing the 3 speed fan resistor on the previous panda

6) Transmission Oil – well why not a almost 100K proabley never been done. I used total traxium gear 8 75w-80 in the Punto TA so maybe same for panda? Guess it's drain from side & fill until it dribbles from plun frontnear top of casing?

7) It’s had a recent exhaust due to blow on front pipe and it seems to have had the same on an MOT fail a couple of years ago (didn’t check MOT history before going to see it and got giddy) anyway 2 exhausts on a Panda? Bothy my MJ pandas never had exhaust replaced so guessed it’s got engine mount issues.. Yes it clonks when taking up drive so need to check out the mounts. Must admit I had a mount done on the Punto Twinair at a garage as I couldn’t find torque wrench settings and part was FIAT only as there are so few Puntos with TA. Anyone know if the mounts are available for Panda TA & pointers fitting them please?

8) Air Con re-gass – never had one done so not sure where to start.

9) stop start don’t work but that’s standard?

Is there any documentation (EEper / workshop manual) covering the Panda Twinair?

Any other jobs I’ve missed?

Thanks all.

You seem to have most of it covered there. I'm not familiar with the twin air but had the same with my air con on the Ibiza. By which I mean that although probably "over servicing" it in all other respects, I'd not done an aircon service on it since new (so 6 years without any attention - except filters) I got our local indy Audi workshop to do a cam belt on her - VAG at first said the belt was a "for life" fitment but pretty quickly changed the advice to 5 years just like earlier vehicles - Although the aircon was working fine I thought that, after 6 years, it probably should be "refreshed" as I'd read that the lubricant can deteriorate with time and debris can accumulate in the system. So I got them to do an aircon service (drain and refill of refrigerant etc) It stopped working about 3 months after I got her back with hissing noises from behind the dash before that. The garage recon it's due probably to leaks in the condensor or O ring seals on pipes which can be brought on by the vacuuming needed before refilling. Anyway, I'll be letting them have a look at her soon but I'm fed up laying money out after the gearbox debacle and I'm tempted to just live without it altogether! So I suppose I'm saying, don't expect a recharge to "fix" it.

PS. Hope you enjoy the new car

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply.

Think there are a few things that prevent S/S working, battery being one. Worst thing that can happen with the battery is it can just totally die randomly. This happened on the MJ panda. fine driving to work, totally dead when I went to go home. Gad a jump start and made it home with flickering lights. put a new battery on and was fine for a few years.

The reason I'm not so bothered about Stop/Start is that the Mrs's Punto never worked even after a new battery. think I'll have a go at running a charge on the battery as it's probably been sat on a drive for a good long while. It’s a 10 year old car so things are going to be iffy I guess.

You seem to have most of it covered there. I'm not familiar with the twin air but had the same with my air con on the Ibiza. By which I mean that although probably "over servicing" it in all other respects, I'd not done an aircon service on it since new (so 6 years without any attention - except filters) I got our local indy Audi workshop to do a cam belt on her - VAG at first said the belt was a "for life" fitment but pretty quickly changed the advice to 5 years just like earlier vehicles - Although the aircon was working fine I thought that, after 6 years, it probably should be "refreshed" as I'd read that the lubricant can deteriorate with time and debris can accumulate in the system. So I got them to do an aircon service (drain and refill of refrigerant etc) It stopped working about 3 months after I got her back with hissing noises from behind the dash before that. The garage recon it's due probably to leaks in the condensor or O ring seals on pipes which can be brought on by the vacuuming needed before refilling. Anyway, I'll be letting them have a look at her soon but I'm fed up laying money out after the gearbox debacle and I'm tempted to just live without it altogether! So I suppose I'm saying, don't expect a recharge to "fix" it.

PS. Hope you enjoy the new car
Point taken thanks... Re-gas was pritty low on the list of things to do as I've never had aircon in any of my other long list of FIATs :D

Back