Bravo (Classic) Another HGT ........

Introduction

So after parting ways with my black HGT and tgunking that would be it, no chance of ever owning another, i got a phone call from an old friend with a proposition ....

A 1 owner Boreal Red Italian spec Bravo HGT
130,000 KM
Full service
Never been ragged or messed with
Even came with italian documents
And the original pouch with the red and spare keys ......

Obviously theres a catch ....
It needs a new paint job as its been sitting for a few years only going out to the shops on occasion .....
Pleased to be back in another but this one wont take up daily duties .....more of a restoration and then weekend toy along side my 20vt HGT IMG_20201028_180354_062.jpeg
OP
OP
CFREITAS
Decided to do some work on the HGT ....

This kids is why you should be removing the factory sound deadning. Carpet was completely dry, but the sound deadning underneath was completely soaked through .....
Removed all of it, ready for some welding priming and some new Deadmat sound insulation 20210201_161307.jpeg 20210201_161254.jpeg 20210201_161313.jpeg 20210201_161319.jpeg 20210202_132209.jpeg 20210201_162414.jpeg

OP
OP
CFREITAS
So ive been finishing the Deadmating on the HGT, added some extra foam sound deadining.....
Also had to replace the heater matrix whilst i was under there......
Interior is all back toghether now awaiting its MOT test ...
Some clean new numberplates
Also had to change the door speakers as the originals were completly toast ....
Couldnt get new OEM one so aftermarket would have to do.....
Did a few bits on the engine aswell to keep it sweet for now and its looking alot tidier than before ..... 20210809_154959.jpeg 20210809_160903.jpeg 20210809_170422.jpeg 20210809_170431.jpeg 20210810_174928.jpeg 20210809_172909.jpeg IMG_20210804_173047_447.jpeg

Last edited:
I see you made some adapters for the weird door speaker install... a few years ago I found some special aftermarket ones on Ebay (from Pioneer I think) that had the special shaped plastic frames... before that I had cut out the centre of the factory speakers and fitted a hardbiard plate to mount some 4" speakers.

Even the rear speakers need adapters when replacing with aftermarket...

jonti

We're getting there
So ive been finishing the Deadmating on the HGT, added some extra foam sound deadining.....

Tidy job. Bit of a job but well worth doing to get rid of the factory rubbish. Is it quieter, noisier or the same?

Can you tell the kidz where the damp comes from? My Tipo (same floorpan, insulation materials) has wet underlay just under the pax feet, but not from the front e.g. matrix, evap, drain areas are dry :confused: Osmosis? Cheers J

OP
OP
CFREITAS
I see you made some adapters for the weird door speaker install... a few years ago I found some special aftermarket ones on Ebay (from Pioneer I think) that had the special shaped plastic frames... before that I had cut out the centre of the factory speakers and fitted a hardbiard plate to mount some 4" speakers.

Even the rear speakers need adapters when replacing with aftermarket...
These were from the Fiat Lineassori catalogue.....
I found them on ebay italy back when i had had my black HGT so i bought 4x pairs [emoji1787]
Theyre origininaly made by Blaupunkt for Fiat and fit really well .....
rears are a straight fit 5inch component but this car is an Italian spec car with a very basic radio so rear speakers dont have pins in the stereo ..... need to find a good H3 original stereo

OP
OP
CFREITAS
Tidy job. Bit of a job but well worth doing to get rid of the factory rubbish. Is it quieter, noisier or the same?

Can you tell the kidz where the damp comes from? My Tipo (same floorpan, insulation materials) has wet underlay just under the pax feet, but not from the front e.g. matrix, evap, drain areas are dry :confused: Osmosis? Cheers J
Damp come grom all over, even down to leaving the windows slightly open on a rainy day .....
All runs down a/b pilars and collects in joints and eventually seeps into the underlay ......
Mine was like a swimming pool
Also welding the breather holes on tye floor pan helps massively

OP
OP
CFREITAS
Soo the hard work payed off .....

Shes back on the road for the first time in years ...... and straight to festival italia to join it baby sister the trofeo

Now real hard work begins as i want to respray it question is

Rosso Boreal (original) or Rosso Pompeii(marea colour) ????
Picture below for comparison

received_848239182487533.jpeg 20210815_094418.jpeg Screenshot_20210820-050325_Instagram.jpeg Polish_20201227_203505605.jpeg

Reactions: ben

jonti

We're getting there

FiatMatt94

Thats a very clean looking Bravo for its age, I had a green W reg 1.2 80 SX in 2013 when I was 18-19, so car was only 13 years old at the time & the tin worm was setting in all over it, sills were rotten, edges of the front & rear arches were going, the floor wasn't in the best of health & the front & rear lights kept falling out so were held on with duck tape. Being young with hardly any money to sort the car out & getting some funny looks from the old bill, I found some really old thick green fence paint in my grandads shed which was a very close match to the car so the sills & the edges of all 4 arches got a couple of coats of the fence paint treatment. Cost nothing & looked quite good unless you were standing next to it. It never washed off & was still there when the car was scrapped in January 2015.

SS90

Also had to replace the heater matrix whilst i was under there......
Interior is all back toghether now awaiting its MOT test ...
Some clean new numberplates
Also had to change the door speakers as the originals were completly toast ....
Couldnt get new OEM one so aftermarket would have to do.....
Did a few bits on the engine aswell to keep it sweet for now and its looking alot tidier than before ..... View attachment 219521 View attachment 219522 View attachment 219523 View attachment 219524 View attachment 219525 View attachment 219526 View attachment 219527
Those plates are smart Carlos with the writing at the bottom, where did you get them made up?

OP
OP
CFREITAS
Those plates are smart Carlos with the writing at the bottom, where did you get them made up?
Got them through an Online store .... they are technically show plates but they have a BS number so i use them on the road .... car doesnt see much use now anyway [emoji22]

SS90

Got them through an Online store .... they are technically show plates but they have a BS number so i use them on the road .... car doesnt see much use now anyway [emoji22]
Should get it out more before winter approaches. I regret driving mine through last winter thats why I've just dropped the rear subframe on my HGT yesterday, so I can repaint it, the trailing arms, roll bar etc. Going to go through the brakes too. No more wet winter roads for the Bravo's.

Your latest HGT looks great, nice work you have done so far :worship:, think I'm going to do the same on mine with the sound deadening..:)

OP
OP
CFREITAS
Should get it out more before winter approaches. I regret driving mine through last winter thats why I've just dropped the rear subframe on my HGT yesterday, so I can repaint it, the trailing arms, roll bar etc. Going to go through the brakes too. No more wet winter roads for the Bravo's.

Your latest HGT looks great, nice work you have done so far :worship:, think I'm going to do the same on mine with the sound deadening..:)
Health doesnt let me drive manual cars for too long,
Last time it moved was in August [emoji22]
Think that will be my next project ..... the rear needs to be completly stripped down, cleaned and rebuilt ....
Ideally i want some fiat coupe rear trailing arms and antiroll bar as it makes a big difference ...
I have a few bit starting to arrive for the front end aswell... should be interesting this winter [emoji23][emoji23]

SS90

Health doesnt let me drive manual cars for too long,
Last time it moved was in August [emoji22]
Think that will be my next project ..... the rear needs to be completly stripped down, cleaned and rebuilt ....
Ideally i want some fiat coupe rear trailing arms and antiroll bar as it makes a big difference ...
I have a few bit starting to arrive for the front end aswell... should be interesting this winter [emoji23][emoji23]
Nice (y)

Looking forward to seeing the work you do on the car through the winter..

I understand why the Coupe ARB would be better, because it has a larger diameter, so stiffer and make the back turn more. But how would the Coupe trailing arms be better?

Last edited:
OP
OP
CFREITAS
Nice (y)

Looking forward to seeing the work you do on the car through the winter..

I understand why the Coupe ARB would be better, because it has a larger diameter, so stiffer and make the back turn more. But how would the Coupe trailing arms be better?
The Coupe trailing arms give 15mm wider track each side in the rear

OP
OP
CFREITAS
so I haven't updated this thread in quire a while.....
but the HGT still lives .. has been my daily since its younger cousin decided to leave its clutch all over the floor and now wanting a hybrid turbo ..... so the trusty HGT plods on, still waiting for paint as I'm waiting for the painter to have time to do both of my HGTs and my Trofeo at the same time .....

in the mean time
a new clutch has turned up for the HGT has turned up so I will be swapping to a Marea gearbox with longer ratios or maybe even my 6spd Coupe gearbox, yet to decide but at the same time I will he doing a mini refresh of most important thing in the engine bay
timing belt
water pump
engine mounts, stabiliser mount
camshaft seals
rocker cover with new gasket
and a bloody good clean

Attachments

• 20220728_141803.jpg
    20220728_141803.jpg
    5.1 MB · Views: 19
  • 20220924_191653.jpg
    20220924_191653.jpg