Technical Android stereo system

Currently reading:
Technical Android stereo system

They're great the android units. Had a couple and would certainly recommend them.

You're right, you will need some different cables to keep the steering wheel control. Most of the android units come with the required cables though.

You need the wiring harness that comes with the little red / black box that turns the steering wheel inputs from the car into a format the head unit understands.

It shouldn't take much shopping to find a head unit supplied with the right components, if this one doesn't.

Worst comes to it you can buy a separate wiring harness but the android units don't tend to be ISO compliant. So you'd have to chop the ISO stereo plug off the aftermarket connector and solder on the android unit's plug. That's how I fitted the wife's android unit.

You won't get the stereo / track information on the instrument panel display with an aftermarket unit.

You'll also need to do a small amount of wiring to fit a switched live connection to turn the headunit on and off as the factory unit is canbus activated.

If you find a wiring harness with steering wheel controls it'll come with a little red or black box.

the input from the car side you don't need to mess with. Then the output side of the little box you need to wire the key 1 and key 2 into their respective wires on the stereo plug. You'll need to wire in a ground for the little box too (easy).

Then the android unit will have a "learn" function, just teach it the different functions by pressing buttons - job done.

Be prepared to do a lot of soldering though as android units dont tend to use same ISO plug as the branded stuff, as alluded to above.

Thanks for the info Artemis!,

Do you have some experience buying stuff from china, like taxes and import duties?

Thanks for the info Artemis!,

Do you have some experience buying stuff from china, like taxes and import duties?

I have done previously, yes.

It can be something of a lottery of whether or not you get hit with import taxes or not. In theory everything should be taxed if it's value is over the lower threshold but sometimes you get away with it.

Otherwise you're looking at a £10 ish handling charge plus VAT on the value of the item (i.e. 20%).

You can usually find a UK stockist if you look though. Might cost a touch more but saves on import taxes.

do you know of any cam bus that is compatible...i bought a chines aftermarket ...but had to disconnect the reverse camera so the radio and navi would work...i was thinking if i change the cam bus maybe ill get 50 % of the head unit to work

Back