Android Apps

Currently reading:
Android Apps

imported_richard33dees

Established member
Seems most of us have turned to the greener side of phone life with android.

What apps you got that you'd recommend to improve the phone? Here's a list of mine,

Advanced task killer by rechild - free (must to save battery)
Facebook for android - free
Tweetdeck for android - free (twitter, facebook, foursquare & buzz)
Photobucket Mobile - free
Kindle for Android - free (books free > ££)
AVG antivirus - free (not sure if necessary tbh)
WINamp - free (not tested yet but ment to allow media streaming with pc)
Angry Birds - free verion
Subway Subcard - free (student must)
MSN Talk by Talk Builder - free
Pkt Auctions eBay by Bonfire Media Inc - free (easier than ebay app imo)
Barcode scanner by ZXing Team - free
Auto Express (Official) - free
Sky+ by bskyb - free (remote record facility)
Ringdroid by Ringdroid team (edits music for ringtones)
Battery Widget by geekyouup

av got more but not all that interesting and more personal preference.

n00b question time. Are these compatable with the the HTC?

The barcode scanner - saw a thing on the dvd of Knight and Day that I got, where if I scan the code in I get a free version of the site for the phone. Is there much use for the barcode reader?

HTC Hero - android 2.1 update

Taskiller - not tried anyothers out there but i like this one
Delete old messages - JADs limited - trying to delete a thread with 3.5k messages crashed phone. This app works brilliantly. You get a progress bar too.
Paper toss - boredom killer
Dolphin Browser - the Heros' original browser is terrible.
Power Save mode - again a much needed app for older android phones.

I used to have a lot more, however the Hero has the old processor and not the fancy snapdragon one, so it often gets bogged down. Hence i've got rid of all bar one of my games and try to make it run faster. Some have suggested i root my phone and mod it and then overclock the procesor to get it to run faster...rainy day project haha.

Yes martin as long as you have the correct android OS it will work. The new live wallpapers need Froyo (2.2) to work :(

Yeah any android software phones can use these apps. I think that is the advantage of HTC, SE, Samsung etc using the android you can swap brand of handset and fairly know your way around the menu system.
The SE 2.1 upgrade allows live wallpapers, I got the coke-a-cola snow globe as mine for a little while but as it was an always on app, it drained the battery quick.

I'll get back to you's when I get mine :laugh:

Barcode scanner on the iPhone's great though, used it a few times. Haven't paid for an app in 2 years of owning my 3G though, not even a 59p one, which is pretty cheap of me but the demos and free apps are all good enough on there anyway in my opinion.

Looking forward to browsing what Android's got on offer, think there's a good few I can transfer over. I'm addicted to Racing live myself, which is a sort of stats, real time network game. Looks a tad dull as there's no actual simulated driving involved but addictive to play nonetheless :smile:

Back