Amp problem again!!

Currently reading:
Amp problem again!!

ive mange to finally get powr to my amp but theres no sound output grrrrrr
ive got all the speaker wires in place and even tryed swaping them over to the other side ive even tryed it in the other bass box but no joy wat am i doin wrong ?? everythinks connected up and the green power light is on
im just like ermmmmm what now

please help me .... AGAIN lol

thanks

green light usually means the power and earth and remote wires are ok. thats the only assumption i can make with the info you provided, everything else is on the list of possible problems.

how are you sending a signal to the amp? are you using the line level (RCA) or high level (speaker) inputs on the amp?

many things are possible, for example its possible that you've got a high pass filter on your headunit's rca output and a low pass filter on the amp, meaing nothing gets through. its possible that you aren't using the correct channel terminals for bridged mode. there are loads of possibilities.

it would help a lot if you could explain how your wiring is set up, what settings you have used on the headunit and what settings you have used on the amp.

well im not sure of the settings on the Headunit the Amps settings r set to OFF and the BassBoost is set to OFF aswel , the signal is geting send by RCA (is that the to phono leads that plug in the back of the HU ?) if so im using that the speaker wires are all connected and have tryed putting them in correct sockets but still no joy
ive got a Sony headunit and only settings i can find on that is the EQ setting i dont have the manual as it didnt come with the car

right, so the amp's filter is set to off (aka full pass) so we know the problem cant be filtering at the amp.

ok i've got a few Q's:

1. when you plugged the RCA (phono) leads into the back of the headunit where did you plug them in? did it say sub or front or something else?

2. on the amp there are 4 places you can attach speaker wire. which 2 are you using, and how do you know those 2 are for the bridged channel? how do you know which is positive and negative on the bridged channel?

3. is there a gain knob on the amp, and what is it set to?

4. is there a stereo/mono switch on the amp, and what is it set to?

5. what model is your headunit?

ok here are the answers
1) pluged phonos in just say left and right ones red and ones white

2) Im using all of them because I need 4 speaker wire , i Dont know which is 4 the bridge but i need all of them , it tells me on the amp ie.
left right
+ - + -

3) gain is set all to min

4) no

5) sony cdx s2200

thank you 4 helping me

turn your gain up. gain is basically volume. also make sure you have the phono leads plugged into output on the head unit and input on the amp.

when i turn my gain down to the min no sound comes out then as i turn it up gradually it gets louder and louder

turn up the gain and frquency because on my amp NO SOUND at all comes out unless these are turned up

As Paul said, the gain is not a volume control in the majority of amps. The frequency knob wouldn't cause no sound either, i.e. the low pass filter wouldn't cut out audible frequencies unless it had a low pass filter below 20ish Hz (which I doubt).

I can think of 3 things that could be amiss

1 - Poor earth - where have you put your earth point?

2 - No signal getting to the amp, as Paul suggested.

3 - The amp is faulty.

Last edited:
if you dont have a multimeter you can use get a stereo out the house and connect it to your RCA's to see if that stereo gets a signal.

ive got the earth connected to the bk of the seat on metal

ive got a freq knob on the amp but am unsure wat to turn it to goes from 50mhz to 250mhz also has a x-mode whatever that is

many thanks for ur help guys

hi i got my amp sort of working
i connected the bass box up to it and only 1 speaker worked so i swaped the other speaker cable around on the other side but that didnt work anyways i turned the cdplayer off cos it had been on a while without the enigne and didnt want to run the battery down i turn it bk on after half hour and the speaker that did work isnt anymore and the amp has the green power light on and there is a red light which says "protect" above it
dose anyone no why this has come on and what can i do to get the speakers to work again ?

all comments welcome

many thanks :)

It has flipped into protect mode - could be due to any number of reasons - thermal overload lack of voltage, etc etc. Attached the earth to bare metal?

Back