AMC, Chelmsford

Currently reading:
AMC, Chelmsford

kaflinkle

I bought a brand new FIAT Punto 1.4 16v Eleganza 5-door and picked it up March 1st. I paid just over £11K in cash.

I'll list the problems;

Wing mirror cracked - this happened when using the electrical adjustment controls and the mirror just cracked. AMC, Chelmsford wanted to see the car in case I had damaged it against a car or somthing otherwise it wouldn't be covered by warranty. Fair enough I thought although I was a bit aggreived at having to take a day off work.

Carpet/trim hanging - this was repaired at the same time as the mirror.

Clutch pedal ruber kept slipping off - not really a major problem but can be a tad worrying when you foot slips off the clutch and the car starts kangerooing towards a junction! This was also replaced at the same time as the wing mirror.

Chunk missing from dashboard - near where the airbag key is, there is a small chunk that looks cut out from the dashboard. It is not caused by human intervention as unless I used a knife there is no way I can cause that damage. This has been inspected by two engineers at AMC who say it needs replacing but a third inspection has to be done by the FIAT man. The trouble is he is rarely at AMC and they want me to go down there at a whim (as they are never sure when he will arrive) but I don't know about anyone else but I work in London and my job doesn't allow me to just leave at a whim. Not to mention that I am 1.5hrs away from work and cannot leave and go back.

Car not starting - key not turning in ignition barrel. Steering lock not on either but acting like it is, starts eventually after much jiggling around.

Car starts and misfires - this is a worry as it's only a month old.

Power steering groaning - gettig bored of listing these now!

Car seems sluggish - I don't know if this is me but the car seems sluggish, more so than my old 1.2 8v Punto. It's also seems a bit juicy and I don't use the aircon as I know that eats fuel.

Apart from the above catalogue of errors, the after sales service at AMC, Chelmsford is shocking. There is one guy there who seems sympathetic but sympathy doesn't fix my issues. I was told that the wing mirror problem was human error as I must have hit something, and the dashboard issue is still unresolved. Why do I have to go down visit them again. I work all week but have been told that they cannot do it Saturday's as they only do services on Saturday. Why can't this FIAT man visit me? Why does he have to inspect it at all when two engineers have already inspected it and stated that it needs replacing and is a fault?

Now I phoned the manager this morning and after about 3 hrs I am still told he is in a meeting. I work in a bank and even we don't have meetings for three hours!

Basically I am not happy, it seems they got my money and that's it. Also when I said about the starting issue this mornign, I was told that I have AA cover and call them.

Feel like just giving the car back and getting something else, banging my head against a brick wall :bang:

Last edited:
Mate,

If I was you I'd get all the cars documents (log book, receipts, warranty, handbook etc) and both set of keys and go down there on a Saturday when its very busy and got straight to the guy that sold it to you and kick up a fuss. The car is under a month old and they are not supporting their product. The number of faults is shocking for a 05 car. Tell them you are unable to come to the workshop during the week and that WHEN they decide to fix it that you will drop it off on a sat and you expect a courtesy car oe else you shall be sending them a bill for travel expenses.

Fiat hate it when you kick up a fuss when their busy esp. on a saturday when their at their busiest.

Good Luck mate.

Latest news - I'm on hold to them, they have agreed to fix the faults but now I have to arrange for them to pick up my car and deliver a courtesy car.

I do not want to have to drive down there to hand a car over which will take about 10 minutes and which I have to take a day off work for something which is not my fault. Because of this car, I have taken nearly a week's holiday.

I'm awaiting a call back from manager.

Normally I would've rejected it but I quite like the car and have gotten used to it. My girlfriend really likes driving it as well. Not to mention I'm just fed up and haven't the time tio go looking for another car.

It's a nice little car, not my cup of tea, but our last Punto (incidentally someone saw it along a motorway the other day) was incredibly reliable and had been to Ireland, France, Scotland, Wales without any trouble at all. I've still high hopes for this one. :D

Good news: they have agreed to pick up the car next Tuesday and deliver me a courtesy car. I cannot say fairer than that and the manager has been extrememly helpful. I am a believer in second chances and they've come through okay.

I am going to take a day off and pick the car up because I want to see and test the car to make sure the new dashboard doesn't rattle before I drive it away. They were going to deliver it back to me though which is again good service.

SO much for second chances :bang:

I picked up the car (a day late from what they originally quoted me) and I have to say the work is awful.

The new dashboard looks crap, parts of it are not flush with other parts so it looks a bit messy. One of the other bits that I said needed doing, rattly and squeaky parcel shelf, is worse than before and other stuff I listed hasn't been touched.

Before they picked up the car, I cleaned it inside and out, leathered it off, etc so it looked good (I do this once a week at least anyway) but I received it back dirty. The interior was dusty and the dashboard was just grimy and horrible. The outside of the car looked dirty and looked like someone had been tearing around in it judging by the dirt splashes on the wheel arches and up the side.

Basically I am really annoyed and now want my money back. I wish I'd taken your advice, Dave!

Anyway, what are my rights? Can I have my money back? Can I return the car? :mad:

Last edited:
This is still going on....

Anyone got an address for FIAT I can complain to.

ALso I was informed that the car cannot be returned as the dealer has to be given the benefit of the doubt and has to try to fix the car or something like that. But how long can this go on for Christ's sake!

Does anyone know my rights regarding this?

The dashboard looks awful, the parcel shelf is still rattly to the point where it's really annoying and now the brakes groan (which is more worrying). I am sick of going back there and kicking up a stink, it doesn't seem to do much.

I forgot to mention that I mentioned a free service because of the hassle I've had going back and forth and I was told 'no, but when you come in for a service', (like that's going to happen),' I'll sort you out.'

Sort me out???!!! What, beat me up, buy me a couple of pints, knock 20 quid off the price?

Last edited:
Just reject the thing mate.

You have given them a chance to fix the faults but the quality of their work is p1ss poor. They are unable to carry out simple requests. Also they have no respect for customers property (returning the car in a mess). :mad:

Just tell them you are a professional person and do not have time to be visiting a dealer every week to get a car which is 3 months old fixed constantly. (n)

You can try writing to Fiat but this will take a long time for them to proccess and by the time they done you probably would have sold the car :(

I tried to return the car to be informed that they are not taking it back just because it rattles. At that point I was going to throw the service manager through a window but instead got him to phone my girlfriend who's car it is and speak to her. She ranted at the guy and now...

The car is being picked up from my house on Monday morning, dropping off a courtesy car, at 8am for dashboard number 3!!

Also the car still rattles/squeaks from the back (sounds like parcel shelf) although I appreciate this is an intermittent problem and can be hard to locate but still.....

They are then returning the car Wednesday morning.

Next time I am buying a car without a dashboard!

Has anyone else on this forum have any issues with AMC, Chelmsford? Needless to say issues are still not resolved.

I have now contacted a solicitor, governmental consumer body and Fiat themselves. Fiat have been next to useless.

We wrote a letter to the Managing Director of AMC, at the beginning of August, who replied saying he would deal with this as soon as can and we ended up havig to chase him this week and he hadn't even read the letter! Fiat haven't responded despite numerous pone calls.

Now I occaisionally get airbag failure when driving which is a tad worrying.

So back to my original question, if anyone has had issues with AMC, Chelmsford, I would like to know.

you have my deepest sympathy, had just the same treatment from Olympian Fiat. Fiat themselves wont help you, if youre lucky youll get a voucher from them. Thing is Fiat customer service works like this...
You complain to them.
They telephone the dealer and tell them of your complaint.
Dealer says work carried out.
Fiat dont follow it up!

Its a vicious circle in which you do not figure at all. You should have rejected it straight away, you may eventually get your car right but with lots of heartache and stress and time. Honestly thats how it works with them. Your dealer will come to view you as a nuisance even though you are not. Simple answer, dont buy new Fiat again!

Success!! After getting a solicitor involved who wrote to Fiat, getting Fiat involved with repeat caling and letter writing and phone calls to another dealer we have met with what I think is a bit of a victory.

Glyn Hopkin in Chadwell Heath are going to repair all of the problems on the car for obviously nothing. Fiat have authorised all repairs and replacements and are bending over backwards.

Interestingly enough the tech at Glyn Hopkin reckons that the superguard (or whatever it's called) wasn't put on the bonnet as it looks dull compared to the rest of the paintwork and I hasn't noticed it before but he is right.

So to sum up repairs;

Squeaky parcel shelf or noise from rear end of car
Airbag failure
Clutch very high and not biting correctly
Paintwork
Patchy and scratched dashboard

Good of Fiat to come through, Glyn Hopkin has been excellent as always (got out MK1 Punto from there and they've been nothing short of helpfull and good).

AMC are nothing short of abysmal and unhelpful.

Back