Technical Alternator replacement

Currently reading:
Technical Alternator replacement

Thanks for the reply s130 but 'no' it doesn't answer my quetion. The alternator cannot be removed from the top unless the engine is out and that will probably take more then the 4 hrs labour quoted for the job. There appears to be not enough clearance if you need to remove it from below and I was really asking for probably an experienced 'FIAT' mechanic if in the official procedure for replacement, the shaft is removed. Thanks once again for your answer as you were the only one to respond.;)

if I may elaborate.....1.9's you get from top. 2.2's are bit trickier but no need to remove driveshaft. Just weigh things up & look for shortcuts, manuals are not always the quickest/best way to do things.

Then again I can extract a £20 note from the wifes purse while its in her grasp with a straw;)

Mine went too last weekend. Completely seized so total and immediate loss of power couldn't even switch the hazzards on -quite scary. Part had to come from Italy but arrived in 4 days so not bad. MJ150 had to come out through the bottom with removal of drive shaft etc. All told with new belt and front pads £430.

Mine went too last weekend. Completely seized so total and immediate loss of power couldn't even switch the hazzards on -quite scary. Part had to come from Italy but arrived in 4 days so not bad. MJ150 had to come out through the bottom with removal of drive shaft etc. All told with new belt and front pads £430.

Are you saying that the alternator seized and the drive belt was just running over the alternator pulley shredding itself?

Can't understand why such a sudden seizure would cause total loss of electrics, unless you had been driving round, shredding the belt (no noise????) and the battery went flat over several miles.

Also what year is your car? (Same question to others who have had alternator failures)

Internal short in the alternator (aka catastrophic failure) would cause a massive power drain - I'm guessing. No plans to try my theory out though :D

Internal short in the alternator (aka catastrophic failure) would cause a massive power drain - I'm guessing. No plans to try my theory out though :D

Could be that there is some missing information here. Seizure implies mechanical failure. A diode/regulator/winding failure could result in exessive drain currents, even to the extent of possibly stalling the alternator, but I find this somewhat difficult to believe unless the drive belt was so slack as to allow the alternator to stall due to short circuit conditions. If this were the case then I would expect noise, burning/rubbing smells and ultimately belt failure.

Agreed, hence the stated need for belt replacement. I'm guessing at bearing failure followed by seizure. The only way I can rationalize complete power failure would be if, during the seconds before seizure, the rotor contacted the main alternator body - hence the term 'catastrophic failure'. I would think that connecting the alternator output directly to earth would cause a few problems.

As you say, perhaps more information is required - if nothing else, to give other owners an idea of what might be about to happen / has just happened.

HTH.

Sorry I haven't responded but not been on for a while. When whatever happened happened there was a catastrophic failure and a total loss of power draining even the battery. As soon as the AA tried to charge the battery there was smoke from the alternator as if about to catch fire. The next time I saw the alternator the fly wheel wouldn't turn and the belt had no flex and had a fixed shape as when in position probably caused by the heat. Can't tell you anymore other than it's fine now.

Seems alternator failure is becoming a common problem as mine has just been replaced too (see Electricty - why can't the Italians get it to work?), so why are they so damned difficult to get - mine had to come from Turin which kept the car off the road for a week? Although it didn't seize like yours, so I was able to drive it home.

Not only that, the component is not unique to the Croma being used across the Zafira, Vectra and Signum range of cars using the 1.9 16v engine (and Alfa 159). In addition there are other manufacturers such as Lucas who offer alternatives.

Mine was done under warranty, but would have cost me £170 plus labour and Vat had I paid.

Last edited:
Not only that, the component is not unique to the Croma being used across the Zafira, Vectra and Signum range of cars using the 1.9 16v engine (and Alfa 159). In addition there are other manufacturers such as Lucas who offer alternatives.

46.7K mls & alternator expired last night!

Noted various comments - but seems a little short on P/No.s etc.

What replacements have folks fitted? ... P.Nos? ... Opel? Vauxhall? Saab? Alfa?

(What is OE make?)
---------------------------------
55 Croma (194) 1.9/16v 150hp

What replacements have folks fitted? ... P.Nos? ... Opel? Vauxhall? Saab? Alfa?

(What is OE make?)

Never mind - it was a Denso (140A) unit & replaced with same ... don't know P/No

-------------------------------
55 Croma II 1.9/16v 150hp 46.7K

Re: Alternator

I dont even put them on a ramp.

Having just spent a long time under and over the Croma 150 and replacing the auxilary drive belt I can see that the alternator replacement from the top side is certainly a tight proposition/job.

Would you care to share with us any hints/secrets that you have in replacing the alternator from above.... PLEASE :)

Having just spent a long time under and over the Croma 150 and replacing the auxilary drive belt I can see that the alternator replacement from the top side is certainly a tight proposition/job.

Would you care to share with us any hints/secrets that you have in replacing the alternator from above.... PLEASE :)

I removed mine from my 1.9 Croma last weekend after sudden failure at 41k miles. I will agree that it is a very fiddly and tight job to remove, many swear words later I got it out from the top & without taking the oil cooler off as stated on E-Learn, although I had to have the car raised. I was unable to get it reconditioned, the auto electrician said the parts were not readily available, he said it is physically the same as the Vauxhall unit but has a 150 amp output as opposed to the Vauxhall's 140. I had no success sourcing one anywhere until I contacted alernatormart.co.uk who have a link at the foot of these pages, they have supplied a brand new unit for £166.00 includingVAT & next day delivery with the pulley attached and no exchange with the old unit required. I hope this is some help to other Croma owners.

This is great/good news bobbyblue.

I'm book marking alernatormart.co.uk as I type...just in case I need their services.

Meanwhile, after "many swear words" was there any particular trick, alignment etc. that allowed it all to happend or was it one of those jobs/puzzles where you strike luckyhopefully never ever wish to visit again!

Hi Nick,

No real tricks involved, It is just a job I wouldn't like to do too often, it seems you have to take half the car apart to gain access. My new alternator arrived from alternatormart.co.uk today and is as described in their advertisement, brand new with the pulley fitted. I will fit it tomorrow and hope this is the last problem I will have with this car.

... he said it is physically the same as the Vauxhall unit but has a 150 amp output as opposed to the Vauxhall's 140. I had no success sourcing one anywhere until I contacted alernatormart ...

What manufacture is this unit? ... any cross-ref numbers? 73501591? 102211-8270? My understanding is the 1.9/16v 150hp requires a 140A unit (?)

-------------------
55 Croma II 1.9/16v 150hp (48K mls)

What manufacture is this unit? ... any cross-ref numbers? 73501591? 102211-8270? My understanding is the 1.9/16v 150hp requires a 140A unit (?)

-------------------
55 Croma II 1.9/16v 150hp (48K mls)

I didn't check the numbers on the unit I took off, I donated it to the auto electrician but I know it was a Denso, and he said it had a 150amp capacity. I fitted the new unit this morning which was delivered yesterday and all is sweetness and light again. I did not check the new part for numbers etc, but it is running o.k. Hopefully I will have no more trouble. Alternatormart.co.uk are quite helpful, the contact there is Martin who gave me my information if you need to speak to him.

Yep, me too, I was under the impression that the JTD150s were 140A alternators and the 2.4 had a 150A unit, so I'm confused :confused:

Thanks for the alternatormart tip, Bobbyblue.

The original for a 1.9D 16v is a Denso MS1022118270 140A (taken from the original label on mine).

The replacement from them is a 140A one, made by Hella, which is related to Bosch apparently. Made in Europe (Denmark I think he said). £156.53 including VAT and delivery if you ring up with this part number. The price allegedly includes £10 discount for having the part number.

Don't bother with their website enquiry - they didn't reply to mine at least.

Hi

Have just had the alternator go on my 1.9 16V Croma... same symptoms as others, light came on then everything failed except engine managed to limp home... bot forgot how hard it is to steer without power assistance!

OH is now looking at getting it out, have tried to download Elearn but no joy, can anyone email a copy to me or gives us some tips? Can it defo be taken out the top, what do we need to shift to get it out?

Cheers
J :)

Back