Technical aircon problem

Currently reading:
Technical aircon problem

JasonL

I'm looking for some help with the aircon on my 2.0 HLX 2001 model. The aircon light on the button comes on but the clutch on the compressor does not engage. I've checked all the fuses and relays that I can find and found nothing wrong. Thought perhaps it needed regassed so got a refill can from Halfords and gave that a go. The pressure did seem a little low so refilled it but still the clutch doesnt engage. Can anyone offer any other advice on what to check before I go looking for professional help?

Should have also said that I've tried the self diagnosis using the heater dials and it says Cli 00 which I think means it's not detecting any problems?

Last edited:
when i used the halfords can it took me a few goes to relise the clip wasnt pushing down enough to actually put the gas into the system, put it on and press it down hard with your hand then begin to fill it.

you should notice if its not in full contact as when you remove the end and put it back on the pressure will of gone low again.

The system is definately at the correct pressure now so it isn't a problem with the guage not being pressed on properly.

As for the self diagnosis I actually found this on another post on the forums.

1. Set the following configuration
- temperature knob on "HI"
- distribution knob on "Max DEF"
2. Turn the key from STOP to MAR

3. within 10 Sec, turn the ventilation knob thruough this sequence
- "0" - "AUTO" - "0" -"AUTO" - "0"

The error code will then be displayed on the electronic readout on the dash.

the radiator fan has a 'hi' and 'low' speed setting, its common for the coil to become damaged and thus stop the 'low' fan speed working, this is needed for the air con to function, get a multimeter on it and see.

Was trying to get to the coil on the fan tonight and disconnected one of the plugs into the harness. When I reconnected it the compressor kicked in. Still working now so hopefully the problem was just a loose connection. Thanks for the help guys.

Hi All,

My aircon stopped at the weekend - It was recharged at Christmas, and I've ran it once a week or so to keep the seals good. I've been through the thread, and checked the fuses/relays etc. but the compressor does not kick in. I've now discovered that the fan does not switch on to low speed - hence, the compressor will not start. Only thing is, I cannot find the coil (I've been looking from the top of the engine) - can you guys give me some pointers as to where it is?? Also, is it replaceable as a separate part?
I can live without it, but i hate it when things just stop!!!:bang:
It's a Weekend HLX 155.
Thanks in advance,

Glenn

Only thing is, I cannot find the coil (I've been looking from the top of the engine) - can you guys give me some pointers as to where it is?? Also, is it replaceable as a separate part?
I can live without it, but i hate it when things just stop!!!

When my fan would not work it was a wire wound high wattage resistor, it was mounted on the fan shroud at the bottom on the offside or rather was hanging off as all the mounting hardware had dissolved. I bought a complete fan and just swapped out the resistor sub assembly and put lots of copperslip on the terminals of this one. It still works fine. I posted some pics on here. There is also a full speed relay , this connects direct to the motor in the centre of the fan. BTW my air con has stopped working again I suspect the controller as it will not give the error codes when you go through the sequence, but I'm starting with a new compressor and pressure switch and filter as they are all areas that have had problems or are due for service and wil go from there. I took the relays out of their sockets tonight and shorted across the contacts, thats how I know the fan is fine, I also clicked the clutch in and out so if I'm lucky a new compressor will actauly keep the refrigerant in after the re-charge.

I think I am running out of ideas on my car. Any suggestions would be welcome. When you do the interrogation sequence the display shows CI. for a second or so and then 00. I have the fault codes and this is not listed so I think it's no fault found. If Ci. is shown and does not go out when you press the outside temp button then it is that sensor, but it does go out, and seems to work fine showing a believable temp for a few seconds when you press the temp button. Even with new compressor, reciever drier and 3 way switch and re-gassing it will not pull in the compressor. You can short across the relay contacts and "clack" in it goes. I have looked at every fuse inside the car, and all the heavy current ones in the box near the ABS. All are fine.
I know when I had the fan trouble corrosion in the relay box near the battery was suggested. I got away without taking that apart. Has anyony here done this job? Is it as big a pig as it looks?
The manual I have got suggested fuses behind the glove box, so I took that out and only a big scary airbag in there.
I put ameter from the coil to erth on the compressor relay, and there is a good earth on one pin....
This is looking like a blown chip or relay drive transistor in a climate control circuit board somewhere, which sounds painful.

If the aircon is low on gas it wont engage, it'll still have aircon in it but it needs to be over a certain pressure. Also if the temperature is 7C or below the aircon will not engage.

If it engages upon shorting and no fuse or relays are faulty then get it properly gassed, costs around £50.

Renegade if it kicks in when you jump the relay it sounds like it needs a new relay it did on mine after everything else was looked at ( it is connected on to the battery box at least it is on mine) a 110JTD

Joske I dont think there is anything wrong with mine and the aircon will work well below 7c in the demist mode and without

If the aircon is low on gas it wont engage, it'll still have aircon in it but it needs to be over a certain pressure. Also if the temperature is 7C or below the aircon will not engage.

If it engages upon shorting and no fuse or relays are faulty then get it properly gassed, costs around £50.

I had it gassed after putting the compressor on,it was very low when degassed .The right amount went in and pressure was fine although as the compressor wouldnt engage it's not 100%. I did function that relay last time I had problems, this time I just put a meter across the coil and it's still there. Thinking about it now (what forums are for,) I could put the meter on volts, switch the a/c on and see if it signals the relay. The other thing I did before was short across the pressure switch, its replaced as well but possible the new one is defective, it does happen. Thanks for the suggestions guys.

Joske I dont think there is anything wrong with mine and the aircon will work well below 7c in the demist mode and without

The light on the aircon will come on but aircon wont kick in. This is for MK2s Climate Control not sure what the system was on the MK1. Its also a fact as the Fiat manual states so and mine doesn't demist when its cold.

Well it's working fine now. I spent hours over the weekend working on it and eventaullay decided I could find nothing wrong with the electrics. I took it back down and showed the clutch engaging by shorting across the plug to the triple switch which proves pretty much the whole circuit. They said they would de-gas it and then swap out the new switch for the old one in case the new one was dud. Well it only had 1/10 of the gas left in it???? , so maybe a leak? Well 1/2 hour later after no sign of tracer, lots of soap and water with nitrogen on the system (I listened inside the car for leaks in the evapourator) no leak found. Dave said lets pull it down and see how it goes, this time it shot down to -999 in 17 minutes and was solid, last time it took a while to pull down and did not give perfect vacum, although it was within spec to gas it up.Well he oiled it and put in 600g of R135a and as soon as I started the car the clutch went in and cool air came out of the vents. One thing I noticed was that the radiator fan now cuts in almost straight away, and the system pressures are more like the book says , 4 bar so the condensor is working OK. This shows the triple switch needed changed. The new compressor is as quiet as mouse as well so although it was almost £250 via a mate it looks like it was worth it. I will let you know how it goes, I'm running it 100% of the time so if there is a leak the tracer will show it up, if its in the evapourator you see tracer in the drain swapping it out not a job you would do "just in case"! Maybe you need to spin up the compressor for the oil to seal it?

For future reference I just added the pics I took of the old resistor mount in my gallery. The resistor or "coil" is not visible as it had fallen off due to its connections corroding away. This as you can imagine convereted the Slow speed to stop. Anyway it should help you identify the part.

Back