Technical Airco gas / cooling water lekage

Currently reading:
Technical Airco gas / cooling water lekage

Joseph Buttigieg

Some months ago, the airco in my Marea 1.8 16V leaked gas till it was completely empty. The airco did not start anymore afterwards and I haven't fixed it for the time being.

The queer thing is that after a few days the gas leakage I noticed that the cooling water in the expansion reservoir was nearly empty. It apppeared that water was leaking from:

1. the thermostat;
2. the heater matrix plus the inlet/outlet pipe O rings; and
3. the radiator.

Can there be any connection between the two? I have read somewhere in a thread that the water pump is controlled byb the ECU. Is it possible that the pump is producing excessive pressure now that there is no gas in the airco system?? Or is it a pure coincidence? The car is 9,5 years old and has covereed 180,000 kms.:confused::confused:

Hi,
The water pump is not controlled by the ECU, it is driven by the cambelt so it cannot deliver 'excessive pressure'.
The two problems are not related so you need to carry out the normal fault finding process for coolant loss. If you can get hold of a pressure tester you can put the whole system under pressure and then see if there is a drop in pressure when it is left for a while. Whilst it is under pressure you can also hunt for signs of leakage both in the engine bay and under the centre dash. Only when you have proved that it is leaking and found out where it is leaking from can you start working out how to fix it.

Good luck :)

Back