General AirBag Warning

Currently reading:
General AirBag Warning

Jo51

Just read a few bits of info as I have the lovely little fat man showing on my dash.
Does anyone know if this is an MOT failure?

Yeah, unfortunately as new MOT rules that came into force in March this year any lights on the dash are MOT failures...
I had this problem, I bought a Occupancy sensor bypass off ebay, solved the problem and loads cheaper than taking it to be fixed in a garage ( bypass adapter is about £50 and literally just plugs in underneath the seat ) (y)

Just incase you wanted to look into it

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/fiat-stil...arParts_SM&hash=item19d4711892#ht_1504wt_1186

Last edited:
This post contains affiliate links which may earn a commission at no additional cost to you.
as far as i am aware it is a mot failure now, unless you change the steering wheel to say a momo item with no airbag in which case it is a advisory i am led to believe.

I believe that the car has to have the airbag fitted if it origionally came from factory with one, so again this would be a fail.

only airbag lights... MIL is a pass

Only for a little while longer, MIL will then fail I think (although your a tester aren't you Richy :confused:).

Information lamps won't fail being on though (typically not red).

I've just put my car through it's MOT early for this reason. I asked the MOT tester and he said the new regs surrounding airbag lights were due to come in in March/April, then Vosa sent out a notice saying it was delayed until summer (no date given). As yet, they still haven't given a date, so it's still pass and advise, although how long that will last is unclear.

OK we all run our FIATS to a budget BUT,,,, safety of our precious ones is NUMERO UNO especially in view of the Ford/VW/Vauxallzewayhome, etc etc dingoes out there and YOUR insurance will not, unless you tell them AND get their agreement, take kindly to bypassed airbags and the like.. not good news but in life take a short cut and it'll undoubtedly 'cost' you or more likely your loved ones :bang::bang::bang::bang::bang:

I believe that the car has to have the airbag fitted if it origionally came from factory with one, so again this would be a fail.

Only for a little while longer, MIL will then fail I think (although your a tester aren't you Richy :confused:).

The rally boys and track day warriors kicked up a stink about airbag lights and airbags in genral (back when it was gonna be a fail) becasue there cars don't have airbags, and the rally cars (most of them are kept road legal) so i was told that if teh steering wheel is changed to a non airbag wheel and the light stayed on then it would be a advisory and if the light was out using the resistor and 2 amp blade fuse then it was a straight pass

im not a tester MEP but cant see how an illuminated MIL would be a fail. its an info lamp telling you that something is wrong. it doesnt mean that the car is unsafe or has emissions problems.

im not a tester MEP but cant see how an illuminated MIL would be a fail. its an info lamp telling you that something is wrong. it doesnt mean that the car is unsafe or has emissions problems.

I think it's because, although like you say it's not only a warning about emotions system failure, they assume most causes of MIL illumination is emissions based :(

You need to get error code, clear error codes, see if it comes back.

Back