Punto Evo Airbag Fault...

Currently reading:
Punto Evo Airbag Fault...

neil357

I have had an issue with airbag ecu.
Errors came up: stop start unavailable, fuel cut off unavailable, airbags alight.
I have replace ecu airbag module like for like off code,
Is there anyone near Coventry run proxy alignment for me and what cost?
Thanks

Hi mate struggling.

Can you come around today.

Cheer mate

Last edited by a moderator:
With some help a proxi alignment has been completed on the new airbag mod.
The MES (ECU scan) says all is aligned and no faults
No communication to BCM? : still an issue:
Air bag lights on, seat belt light on, fuel cut off and stop / start unavailable still showing on dash.:bang:

Please help!! any ideas welcome.

With some help a proxi alignment has been completed on the new airbag mod.
The MES (ECU scan) says all is aligned and no faults
No communication to BCM? : still an issue:
Air bag lights on, seat belt light on, fuel cut off and stop / start unavailable still showing on dash.:bang:

Please help!! any ideas welcome.

To add to this guys here's what i found when connecting up MES:

1. Intermittant FIS Switch Fault error (Fuel Cut Off Problem) - Car starts and runs fine though.
2. Initial Low Voltage problem - cleared after fitting fully charged battery, but dash still says Stop/Start unavailable on every start up.
3. Proxi Alignment carried out and no faults recorded from this, completed successfully.
4. MES shows Airbag Module is receiving power but also says Not Activated in lists.
5. Was showing a BCM intermittant error and some times a CAN-Line error.

I'm thinking the Airbag Ecu is probably ok and the fault might be down to the BCM trying to talk to it.

The error messages on dash when starting up only say the following:

Stop/Start unavailable (even with fully charged battery fitted).
Fuel Cut Off unavailable (car starts and runs fine everytime).

Lights on dash are as follows:
Seatbelt Light.
Drivers Airbag Light.
Passenger Airbag Light.
Yellow Exclamation Triangle.

Seatbelt light doesn't go out even when seatbelts are plugged in.

I've loaned my 4.5 version of MES to neil357 so hopefully he can use it to sort it out when we find the answer to his problem.

Now over to you guys...

Just an update:
Car been in the garage, they have checked all wiring with no faults.
They have said the airbag ecu has power going in but no signal out.
The replacement airbag ecu has the same.
The garage are saying it is an airbag ecu issue which needs replacing.
Has anyone tried to repair these units. How to test.
The car is not worth chasing the fault so I will be selling and trying to get the best price I can.
I am disappointed as the car has always been looked after and up until this point never let us down. (Just lights on dash)

Just an update:
Car been in the garage, they have checked all wiring with no faults.
They have said the airbag ecu has power going in but no signal out.
The replacement airbag ecu has the same.
The garage are saying it is an airbag ecu issue which needs replacing.
Has anyone tried to repair these units. How to test.
The car is not worth chasing the fault so I will be selling and trying to get the best price I can.
I am disappointed as the car has always been looked after and up until this point never let us down. (Just lights on dash)

Hi :)

Thats bad news.. :(
typecastboy is probably the best acquainted with these issues

Good luck

Charlie

There is a bloke on eBay who is in Rochester in Kent that repairs ECUs. I use him to clear crash data but he also repairs them too. If you want his details let me know. It's a worth an email to him via ebay and ask him if he can test it and estimate for repair.

Replacement new Airbags aren't massively expensive, around £250. A lot to spend if it's only a guess its that but I would certainly have a chat with the ebay fella.

I've just read back through the thread again and the symptoms you describe sound like the one I had recently. I changed the clockspring and a lot of those went away. For the sake of a £25 second hand clock spring, it's worth a punt.

Last edited:
Hi mate ! Can you give the details of the bloke in rochester ? Im facing this issue with my punto now with all the warning lights and mileage flashing !

Back