General After one week.

Currently reading:
General After one week.

Red Ruby

One week since I took ownership of my 2015 500X cross plus 2lt. auto. I'm well pleased. I find it comfortable, holds the road well and enjoy driving it. (y) Hopefully this continues into the future.
I'm finding the forum interesting to read about problems others are having and the solutions.
Ed

Enjoy.....I've had mine 6months now and still loving it! Had a couple of minor issues.....all sorted.....Brilliant car

Ours is coming up to two months old and it's pretty faultless.

If pushed I'd say the Uconnect connect functionality is about 5 years behind the times and I think the body panels are a bit thin and more susceptible to door dings from the half wits that cant get out of their car without bashing the one next to them :mad:

But all in all an impressive car and I don't understand why Fiat arent pushing it like crazy to get more on the roads.

I agree, I've got the 6.5" screen and its rather sad.

But Alpine has recognized this and made an installation kit for their top of the range 7" multimedia systems, but currently it only supports the Jeep version and not the 500X:

http://www.alpine.co.uk/p/Products/7-inch-installation-kit4956/kit-7rng

http://www.alpine.co.uk/p/Products/mobile-media-stations4/ive-w560bt

I'm waiting to see if they add support for the 500X and if they do, then I'll consider the investment.

If pushed I'd say the Uconnect connect functionality is about 5 years behind the times ...

Well now almost three weeks. Loving the car just one thing after the first outing in the dark last night, I am hoping it's just the headlight alienment needs adjusting. The amount of light from the bi-xenon headlights is crap?:eek:
Will have the alienment checked asap.
How have you found your headlights to be?
Ed

Re: After one week

Have had a 500X Lounge with the 125kW / 250 Nm version of the 1.4 turbo for 2 weeks now and overall am very pleased with it. Just returned from a drive Canberra to Sydney (566 km return) and am feeling the engine is loosening up although fuel economy is a bit disappointing. The official figure for the extra-urban cycle is 5.7 L/100kms whereas we averaged 7.4 L/100kms when cruising at 110-115 kph on the motorway. I hope that will improve as the engine runs in. I was surprised that the auto transmission refused to change into 9th (i.e. top gear) but maybe I need to be on a German autobahn for that to happen. It would, however, go into 9th if I switched the transmission out of auto mode and manually put it into 9th. That dropped the revs to just below 2000rpm with a small drop in fuel usage. Ride wise it was very good, stable, comfortable with little engine or road noise.

Well now almost three weeks. Loving the car just one thing after the first outing in the dark last night, I am hoping it's just the headlight alienment needs adjusting. The amount of light from the bi-xenon headlights is crap?:eek:
Ed

Had the car back to the dealer (non Fiat) they found the bulb holder/ reflector in the nearside headlight unit floating about. New headlamp unit required. :eek:
Car 11 months old so dealer referred it to Fiat as a warranty issue. Took the car straight to local Fiat dealer who found a small scuff on the lense so refused to replace the headlight unit. (n)
Now back in the dealer I bought the car from waiting for their dession :yuck:
Ed

. I was surprised that the auto transmission refused to change into 9th (i.e. top gear) but maybe I need to be on a German autobahn for that to happen. It would, however, go into 9th if I switched the transmission out of auto mode and manually put it into 9th.

I would be interested to hear from anyone with the 9-speed auto whether they have got it to up-shift into 9th gear. Thanks.

I would be interested to hear from anyone with the 9-speed auto whether they have got it to up-shift into 9th gear. Thanks.

I've the 2lt 500X and it changes up to 9th gear when speed is around 65mph on either flat or slightly down hill. Once any sort of gradient is met it's back to 8th gear. Hope this helps?
Ed

I've got a 1.4 auto 4x4 and I've never ever seen it go into 9th gear - perhaps that explains the shocking fuel economy?!

I've got a 1.4 auto 4x4 and I've never ever seen it go into 9th gear - perhaps that explains the shocking fuel economy?!

Thanks for the information - it's good to know other people are experiencing the same behaviour from their 1.4 4x4 9-speed autos. When you are on the motorway try switching the transmission to manual mode and then manually change up to 9th. That worked for me and revs dropped from about 2200 rpm to about 1900 rpm. Instantaneous fuel consumption dropped. I then used the flappy paddles on the back of the steering wheel to temporarily change down to 8th if there was an incline and I felt the engine was straining.

When I did my first scheduled service, the dealer told me that those with the 9-speed ZF automatic gearbox will get a software upgrade for their ECU that improves gear changes. It wasn't relevant to my car which has a manual gearbox, but I think its worth mentioning. Maybe you could ask your local dealer about it?

Also, in the american Jeep forums, there is mention of an upgrade for the same gearbox.

That's very useful information .. thanks. I will mention it to the dealer as I have already told him about the car's reticence to change into 9th. He was very surprised to hear my report as he imagined it would change into top at the earliest opportunity to save fuel.

So I've been testing this all week and I've still never seen the car automatically change to 9th. I have 'forced' it into the gear on a few occasions when traveling at least 70 but usually within seconds the car recommends changing down for better economy. My untested suspicion is that I'd have to be traveling a fair bit faster than 70 for the car to sit comfortably in 9th.

I think the body panels are a bit thin and more susceptible to door dings from the half wits that cant get out of their car without bashing the one next to them :mad:

Interesting point this. The interior build is very good but I'd agree about the panels. They seem quite tinny. My hatch make a very un-near £20000 sound when closed and with the electric mirrors folded they rattle and creak when the doors are shut.

Ed

Update on the headlight scenario. Found the nearside headlamp unit inner reflector and bulb holder adrift. Therefore complete new headlamp unit required. Thank you Arnold Clark ( where I bought the car) unit renewed. (y)
Cost £500+. :eek: Paid for by A. C.

Last edited:
Interesting point this. The interior build is very good but I'd agree about the panels. They seem quite tinny. My hatch make a very un-near £20000 sound when closed and with the electric mirrors folded they rattle and creak when the doors are shut.

Yes, I've noticed the hatch makes a tinny closing sound...mind mine cost almost half £20k!

Back