Technical Aerial motor connections

Currently reading:
Technical Aerial motor connections

digger58

Established member
Hi all,
Was trying to fit an auto aerial yesterday but can't find the wires "behind the switch panel" as quoted in the manual, any ideas? 1989 GF and the wires are in
the boot, guess its strip carpet etc to follow wiring back to dash.:bang:

You could get a "telephone toner", very handy device if you need to do this kind of thing very often. Typically used for tracing telephone wiring, it's also great for auto wiring and even electrical wiring (on unpowered wires only!). Hook box to known end of wire, use warbling sound to locate other end.

Perfect if you have lots of wires and you need to know which one is the pair you need, no good when you can't find the wires to start with as you need to know which wire to tap into get the tone. I can't find ANY wire !!!!!!! Thanks anyway

Surely somebody has fitted an auto aerial, Where did you find the wires ? PLEASE HELP

ah, you'll be wanting the wires that go into the stray (blue coloured?) connector block behind the console switch bank - this is for the later type square switches (seem to remember you've got a very late GF?).

It's meant to plug into an "aerial" logo'ed switch, but these are quite rare. It's just carries a permanent 12v feed to the arial loom (comes out in by wing in left rear boot well) and a switched power feed to signal raise/lower. You could just cut or scotch lock the signal wire if you need to mate it to your radio connector (so aerial goes uip/down when you power it on).

Most power aerials earth off the body, so all you should need is to run the switched +'ve which is usually a red or blue wire from the back of the stereo.. And of course the co-ax back from the antenna to the stereo.
Hope this helps.:D

Thanks lads,
I was away for the last 12 days so didn't do anything, I found the wires in the boot but trying to trace them back to the dash is the problem, will report on progress soon. T

If you are still struggling, mine is an 81' 1500 and the wire for it behind the dash is ORANGE!!! Yes white' blue to orange... don't you enjoy 3rd world wiring.

Back