Technical Advice on fitting new carpets to my X

Currently reading:
Technical Advice on fitting new carpets to my X

Aussie79x19

Hi All,
I admit up front I am a complete novice!:eek:
I have purchased a set of new moulded carpet for my X. Any suggestions as to how to install so I get it right first go would be appreciated.
One question I do have is how do I remove the seats? I have had a quick look, but don't see any obvious points where I can unbolt/remove the seats.
The carpet comes in two sections.
Thanks for your advice guys!
Wayne

Unfortunately there is no easy way to put the new carpets in, you pretty much have to strip the interior below the dash, your manual should have instructions on how to pull everything out of the car.

If you want the job to last then you should look into picking up some under-felt for the car - which is exactly what it sounds like: felt under the carpet. It will provide sound deadening and helps protect the carpet from wear. It's low quality felt but it does the job and you won't see it anyway. It usually only goes in the foot well.

Check out these instructions, they're fairly comprehensive: Carpet installation

As for the seats that's surprisingly easy. They simply slide forward off their tracks, they're a bit of a tight fit the further forward you get them but they slide off and lift out. Underneath the seat there should be a spring anchoring it to a point in the middle under where the seat goes. But that might not be in place - I don't even have the springs.

Good luck and don't forget to post pictures to help out the rest of us :)

Don't forget to check for rust in the floor pans while you have the chance.

Last edited:
Back